• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD T778 Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) Review

T3RIAD

Carver’s challenge that he could make a solid state amp sound like any other amp, or like a tube amp? I imagine that it would not be very hard to take the electrical characteristics of one amp and engineer another amp to measure similarly in the areas that would affect sound quality.

It was to make any amp sound like any amp, though he did so by taking measurements and engineering a circuit with various knobs and switches that allowed him to adjust the distortion and frequency response in various ways.

He didn't say all amps sound the same, only that you can make a cheap amp sound like an expensive one.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’ve decided tot wait on a v2 T778 or another AV receiver somewhere in 2021/2022. Maybe then many issues will be fixed, hdmi 2.1 added and who knows, maybe ncore or purifi amps in it.

Got a great deal on a Denon X4500H and this has te be enough for now.

Lonestar1027

Forum Donor
Unfortunately, this AVR locked up and went into protection mode with no ability to reset by the user. I was getting the "amplifier too hot" error code and the fan would just start cranking, even though the AVR had been off all night. This AVR looked and sounded great, but there were just too many quirks and bugs for me to trust it. I'll be going with an HTP-1 and a multi channel amp from KJF Audio.

I guess the good news is that I can have Amir test the KJF amp with 3x NC252MPs if there is interest.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've been very curious about the KJF assemblies....would love to see one tested.

Lonestar1027

Forum Donor
Perfect. I've been in comms with Stefan and will hopefully have one ready for testing in about a month.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess the good news is that I can have Amir test the KJF amp with 3x NC252MPs if there is interest.
Would love to see how the KJF tests and possibly a teardown. Looks to be a well thought out multichannel design.

Matyam

Well here we are couple months on , every review excellent from people who actually listen to this amp especially with music.I can see the egg dripping :D.

iLoveCats

Does it suddenly measure better? Did NAD give a refund to everyone that bought the thing? Or did they give the reviewers one for free?

TonioRoffo

Well, people who never heard Dirac in action will be very pleased with the sound. Room corrected vs normal is something you can hear.

Edit: THD isn't bad at all on this one, just bad noise floor & bad linearity in the amps.

Matyam

I can feel a kal rubinson review coming with even more graphs,should be enlightenenting for you ,or not.

a lot of users on other forums are compelling about a pop sound coming from the front speakers when booting up the T778 or when the audio codec changes. Any of these pop sounds were heard when doing the review?
Thanks.

Yes apparently its an hardware issue which was confirmed my a nad employee on the Nad Fb Group, dunno how true this guy is.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 1.13.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 1.13.18 PM.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:

3dbinCanada

This is unfortunate for NAD but it doesnt surprise me. NAD has been suffering with QC problems for any years and for some reason must cant get on top of the problems.

i was going to buy the Nad T778 to replace my Nad T758 v3 but after this review & off course the bugs also present in my T758 v3 & my Nad M32.
I have decided to jump ship to Denon side, eyeing the X8500 though i will only use 5 channels power from the avr as my fronts are powered by the Nad M32 stereo integrated through HT Bypass.

Sad Nad doesn't make reliable products anymore.

Top Bottom