• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD T778 Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) Review

pogo

Major Contributor
Did they tell you when it might be available?
You could contact NAD support about this.
It's supposed to be rolled out this year.
And I hope that DLART will follow next year for NAD devices.
There is also an interesting webinar on DLART: Link

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your reply... and I fully agree with you. My point is that I already have the T778 and I don't know if to wait for the DLBC upgrade or buy another AVR in the same range with DLBC already available (ex. Arcam AVR20 or the new Onkyo TX-RZ70)
Ah. So it's money vs time? Since you already have the AVR I would choose waiting it out over buying another device just so you don't have to rebuy what you already have.

mdl

Just for awareness for those who had popping sounds.My local sevenhoaks shop sent my unit back to NAD. The customer service modified the unit to rectify the popping sound under warranty. I still have to try it ...keep you posted in the next days
*****Update*****
First very quick listen late night. I can still hear the popping at unit start which I understand it's unlikely to go away. it appears that the popping has disappeared if you switch to another source. Will keep checking.

Last edited:

frankenfrank

I just received my T778 a few weeks ago. I am running the front speakers over the pre outs in a 7.2 setup. I had the poping sound at startup, when switching TV channels and when streaming films at the beginning and ending. It also could be heard while navigating in Apple TV. This week my device showed an availlable BluOS update. After running, the plops were gone during operation. I only hear it when I switch the 778 on.

I owned a Marantz Cinema 70s before.

My thoughts about the NAD after a few weeks:

Pros:
Good sound. For my ears, the sound of the NAD is much more focused and emotional compared to Marantz
Good remote control
Good touch screen, very reactive
Good build quality
No HDMI problems with 4k
BluOS
Roon
DIRAC
Compact device for an AV receiver

Cons:
Low noise can be heard in speakers when no content is running
No onscreen menues when you change volume or inputs
Fan (no big issue now, but will it be louder when device gets older?)
BluOS is an external device
Sub outs are not independent
Few HDMI inputs
HDMI 2.0
Price

I found this measurement review (thanks for that) after ordering the NAD, and was a liitle afraid what to expect. When it arrived and I had those plops I was really dissapointed. But after it was fixed, I am happy, and looking forward to see new features in the future.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
sound of the NAD is much more focused and emotional compared to Marantz
They were smart enough to have an Emotion Engineer work out the circuit details.

Descartes

Major Contributor
When will they update this AVR it was launched in 2020 so it is long in the tooth!

jacob234

Unfortunately, this AVR locked up and went into protection mode with no ability to reset by the user. I was getting the "amplifier too hot" error code and the fan would just start cranking, even though the AVR had been off all night. This AVR looked and sounded great, but there were just too many quirks and bugs for me to trust it. I'll be going with an HTP-1 and a multi channel amp from KJF Audio.

I guess the good news is that I can have Amir test the KJF amp with 3x NC252MPs if there is interest.
I was late to participate on this discussion. I bought this T778 past 3 years ago dan have same problem after used 3 moths that time. I was using PSB speaker for all channels. Since the warranty is still valid at that time, I sent make a report this for NAD support by email, Unfortunately, is no repsond from them, till today on December 2023 , there is no solution. If any advise to solve this matter, please advise me what is gooing on.

mdl

I was late to participate on this discussion. I bought this T778 past 3 years ago dan have same problem after used 3 moths that time. I was using PSB speaker for all channels. Since the warranty is still valid at that time, I sent make a report this for NAD support by email, Unfortunately, is no repsond from them, till today on December 2023 , there is no solution. If any advise to solve this matter, please advise me what is gooing on.
I must confess that the nad team has been incredibly responsive with my case. I can't but praise them. Yes, the issue has been partially sorted out although my judgement suggests that without a full revamp of the apex modules and uodate of the current control logic the ominous "pop" cannot be fully resolved. My amp so far is sounding and working great and only minor issues come up (sometimes using tidal connect the unit screen doesn't show the current played song) so far so good overall
My suggestion is to email again :) or call the local dealer. In my case they have been fantastic!

Bizonpol

The fan can be easily replaced without touching the electronics.
Here are the photos in what order and how I did it
I looked for a while how to do it because I heard a really small noise from the fan, but I couldn't hear it anymore

Top Bottom