• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD PP 4 Review (Digital Phono Stage)

Tom C

Major Contributor
Why are the digital implementations measuring 20dB to 40dB worse than the best analog implementation? Is it all the ADC?

Careyw

What other products that include line in functionality are out there?
i.e. MM and MC and line in?
Any suggestions?
I use the NAD for its primary purpose, digitising my vinyl collection, but being able to also pull in other sources has been very useful.

SOULKAT

Wow I was going to get one of these At £169.00 for a second Turntable as I have the Rega Fono Mini A2D MK2 and think its very good but thought this would be a bit of an upgrade { The FURUTECH High-performance phono amplifier built-in USB Alpha Design Labs GT40-USB-DAC at £575.00 Is a bit out of my price range, Maybe a used one may be found. } Do you know of any other products that are like the above 2 That I have mentioned ??
Could I take the turntable 2x phono RCA leads out of the back of the Rega Fono Mini 2AD MK2 and plug my old tape deck or old CD player into the input RCA sockets and record to Audasity like I do with the Turntable ??
As the 2 above items have USB outs ADC+ Phono stage

Careyw

Wow I was going to get one of these At £169.00 for a second Turntable as I have the Rega Fono Mini A2D MK2 and think its very good but thought this would be a bit of an upgrade { The FURUTECH High-performance phono amplifier built-in USB Alpha Design Labs GT40-USB-DAC at £575.00 Is a bit out of my price range, Maybe a used one may be found. } Do you know of any other products that are like the above 2 That I have mentioned ??
Could I take the turntable 2x phono RCA leads out of the back of the Rega Fono Mini 2AD MK2 and plug my old tape deck or old CD player into the input RCA sockets and record to Audasity like I do with the Turntable ??
As the 2 above items have USB outs ADC+ Phono stage
I also have the Rega and thought of trying this as well. However even the MM input voltage is way less the a typical line input voltage, meaning you'll seriously overload it with a tape deck or CD player. Thats where the NAD wins out.

SOULKAT

Shame the Rega won't do this as it was just a thought of mine but he NAD Says that you can do this with there's so you can rip Tape & CD on there Software But it didn't get a great review on here. So would you buy the NAD ?? As its got loads of inputs and an output on the rear of it.

Attachments

• 2021-10-10 (1).png
    2021-10-10 (1).png
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 2021-10-10 (2).png
    2021-10-10 (2).png
    2 MB · Views: 85

SOULKAT

NAD PP 4 Spec

Show your vinyl collection the love it deserves. With the addition of the NAD PP4 to your home system, the LPs you cherish the most come alive in the form of expansive and rich sound. Offering superb and measured sonic performance, NAD combines two simple solutions – the NAD PP4 Digital Phono and the USB Preamplifier – into one small device, making it easy to add phono to stereo amplifiers and AV receivers without a phono input. The PP 4 uses a shielded USB cable and recording level control, which combine to reduce noise and improve the analogue-to-digital conversion process.

As part of NAD’s commitment to the environment, the PP 4 features a more efficient “green” power supply that reduces power consumption. It also has an Auto Power Down feature that saves energy by shutting off when not in use. Designed to enhance one’s listening experience, the PP 4 is the ultimate tool to elevate any turntable system.

Show your vinyl collection some serious love. Offering superb measured and sonic performance, NAD’s two simple solutions, the PP 4 Digital Phono/USB Preamplifier makes it easy to add phono to many of today’s stereo amplifiers and AV receivers that have either eliminated the phono input or included a low quality circuit for attaching your turntable. As part of NAD’s commitment to the environment, the PP 4 features a more efficient “green” power supply that reduces power consumption. The PP 4 goes one step further with a USB interface, shielded USB cable and recording level control which combine to reduce noise and improve the analogue-to-digital conversion process. The PP 4’s Auto Power Down feature saves energy by automatically powering the PP 4 to OFF when not in use.

Our PP 4 Digital Phono/USB Preamplifier enables you to digitise your treasured vinyl collections to a PC or Mac. It features inputs for both MM (moving magnet) and low noise MC (moving coil) types for a wide variety of phono cartridges, and there is a line input to allow for the transfer of cassette tapes. The PP 4 also includes VinylStudio Lite Software for ripping LPs and burning audio CDs. The PP 4 Phono-to-USB Preamp offers a complete hardware and software solution with exceptional flexibility to record from LP or tape.

MC
  • Input Impedance (R and C)
  • 100Ω + 180pF
  • Gain at 1kHz
  • 58dB
  • Input sensitivity (ref. 200mV ouput)
  • 0.38mV
  • Signal to noise (A weighted, with cartridge connected)
  • 78dB
  • Input overload (20Hz/1kHz/20kHz)
  • 0.65/6.5/60mV
  • Rated Distortion (THD 20Hz – 20kHz)
  • <0.03%
  • RIAA response accuracy
  • ±0.3dB
  • Infrasonic filter 5Hz
  • -14dB
  • 10Hz
  • -3dB
  • Digital output (USB)
  • 16 bit linear PCM
  • Sampling frequency
  • 48kHz
  • Dynamic range
  • 86dB
MM
  • Input Impedance (R and C)
  • 47kΩ + 200pF
  • Gain at 1kHz
  • 35dB
  • Input sensitivity (ref. 200mV output)
  • 2.5mV
  • Signal to noise (A weighted, with cartridge connected)
  • 80dB
  • Input overload (20Hz/1kHz/20kHz)
  • 10/102/950mV
  • <0.03%
  • Dimensions excl. Power supply (W x H x D)
  • 135 x 49 x 72mm
Line In
  • Input Impedance
  • 47k + 180pF
  • <0.008%
  • Signal to noise, A weighted
  • -115dB
  • Maximum Input Level
  • 5.3V
Line Out
  • Output Impedance
  • 100Ω
  • Maximum Output Level
  • 5.3V

SOULKAT

This is the main bit for me I think.

NAD PP 4 Digital Phono/USB Preamplifier£169.00 enables you to digitise your treasured vinyl collections to a PC or Mac. It features inputs for both MM (moving magnet) and low noise MC (moving coil) types for a wide variety of phono cartridges, and there is a line input to allow for the transfer of cassette tapes. The PP 4 also includes VinylStudio Lite Software for ripping LPs and burning audio CDs. The PP 4 Phono-to-USB Preamp offers a complete hardware and software solution with exceptional flexibility to Record from LP or tape.
After reading this again I think it says it will take a TAPE PLAYER INPUT & The USB From the front for recording a Turntable to MAC & PC.
It only mentions ripping the computer files to CD Not being able to input a CD Player

Last edited:

Careyw

This is the main bit for me I think.

NAD PP 4 Digital Phono/USB Preamplifier£169.00 enables you to digitise your treasured vinyl collections to a PC or Mac. It features inputs for both MM (moving magnet) and low noise MC (moving coil) types for a wide variety of phono cartridges, and there is a line input to allow for the transfer of cassette tapes. The PP 4 also includes VinylStudio Lite Software for ripping LPs and burning audio CDs. The PP 4 Phono-to-USB Preamp offers a complete hardware and software solution with exceptional flexibility to Record from LP or tape.
After reading this again I think it says it will take a TAPE PLAYER INPUT & The USB From the front for recording a Turntable to MAC & PC.
It only mentions ripping the computer files to CD Not being able to input a CD Player
You can absolutely plug a CD player into it (line input) and capture the digital output via the USB port in the front going into a PC and the recording software NAD provide.
However now you have gone from digital to analog in the CD player, then from analog to digital on the NAD. Kind of a waste of time (and plenty of room to screw with the original digital quality). You can just rip the CD onto the PC using any number of PC apps.

Careyw

Shame the Rega won't do this as it was just a thought of mine but he NAD Says that you can do this with there's so you can rip Tape & CD on there Software But it didn't get a great review on here. So would you buy the NAD ?? As its got loads of inputs and an output on the rear of it.
I owned the earlier model, the PP2i I think it was. It failed after about 3 years. Bought the PP4 as a replacement, with no real research. This review is disappointing, but at least I am now informed. I use an MC cartridge mostly, so that is an added bonus on the NAD, and as noted in the review, the vinyl source isn't exactly pristine when looking at the types of measurement targets here.

SOULKAT

Has anybody got a Pro-Ject Optical Box E Phono ? i have run out of inputs on my Arcam SA10 amp & I need to add my Denon Tape player and the old Moth turntable with Optical out to my amp so if i do sell my Moth i can flick a switch and add a CD Player as well plus there's a 3.5 audio in & out on it as well The output could run to my PC for direct recording and the output could be used for another Aux DVD TV Ect Plus i could place my Turntable anywhere as i could use a long Optical Toslink cable I Know it was given a bad press with sound quality but has anyone owned or own one with there own thoughts on the matter as at sub £100 new it seems to me to qure my lack of inputs problem & Phono amp ect ect ??

rhcaldwell

Wow, your review of the NAD PP4 phono input stage performance totally tracks my listening review vs. my ADCOM GFP-565 MM phono section. I found the bass performance to be too “fat” and overstated with THD overtones. Sibilants and transients in particular were clearly distorted. The general sense of presence and stereo image coherence was noticeably muddied compared to my reference system (L-R phase difference @ 1kHz?). I bought the PP4 to try it out, as it seemed too good to be true from NAD at the price point. I’m glad I did my A/B listening comparisons before I saw your review, as I would have questioned my judgement as pre-biased. It’s a shame, but I could never listen to a digitized version of what I heard. Off to eBay to find a home for this NAD PP4…

Top Bottom