• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD partners with Purifi, working on an Eigentakt amplifier

kaka89

Why do you think you need more?
I have 400 watts right now, and low 83 dB sens speakers, and in a moderately big room with high ceilings I rarely listen above -10 dB.

Just saying NAD's design isn't fully utilizing all 1ET400A's potential.
1ET400A is capable of delivering 250W @ 4ohm, 0.005% THD, and according to spec M32 only delivering 180W at both 4ohm and 8ohm.

I am using ATC SCM40, seen people measured 84dB sens. I don't think my 150W class D is driving it perfectly, just in my opinion.
ATC suggests their ATC P2 model which is 300W @ 8ohm, and a lot more at 4ohm.
I hope I can find a cheaper and lighter alternative.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Just saying NAD's design isn't fully utilizing all 1ET400A's potential.
1ET400A is capable of delivering 250W @ 4ohm, 0.005% THD, and according to spec M32 only delivering 180W at both 4ohm and 8ohm.
I would not be surprised that NAD has specific modules, like they have for the M22/M27.

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm considering a pair of March's IET400A monoblocks but seeing this new M33 has definitely caught my attention. I could reduce my box count significantly with this one unit.

Would love to see how it actually performs in the real world.

Out of interest, what use is the single HDMI port for? TV or receiver audio to downmix to 2 channel?

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
"According to measurements by PURIFI, the Eigentakt circuit is expected to outperform any audio amplifier known, regardless of technology or class, with THD and IMD quoted as below 0.00017% at all frequencies and power levels"

Let's see the noise component as well...

The Benchmark amp would equal or better that as THD alone (minus N).

Their own specifications page contradicts the hype above:

View attachment 26879

When are they going to stop the BS? On their own plot <0.00017% is between circa 70W and 270W@4ohms . Not 'at all frequencies and power levels'. It's blatantly deceptive hype, yet again. Let's have a 450W@1% joke of a specification to sucker people in. How long can the module do 450W? Oh, wait a minute, it's really only 100W@4ohms rated, so about 50-60W@8ohms, but the distortion isn't guaranteed except in a small range near full power.

Let's put the noise into perspective.

The dynamic range (131dB) they quote is with respect to 450W@1%THD@4ohms and calculates to ~11.8uV. (spec 11.5uV)
The Benchmark AHB-1 Amir measured at (worst case) -112.5dB below 5W@4ohms. That calculates to around 10.6uV, so the Benchmark is also quieter.

God I miss the specifications of old. I miss the honesty, the conservative nature of companies, the humility, and most of all, the lack of crowd-sourced group-think and mindless hype.

I absolutely love how you pick through the marketing rhetoric and tell it how it is! You do it often and are ruthless with it. I find it refreshing to be honest.

I almost pre-ordered this at £3999 in England but, due to your ability to slice to the core of things, I took in what you wrote and held back and I'm glad I did.

Good on you mate. :)

D

Deleted member 11516

Just receuve
NAD 33 specs
  • Continuous Power: 200W into 8/4 Ohms
The Purifi amp is rated at 425 watts at 4 ohms. Did they lower it? If so, why? This is one of the major advantages of this amp.
  • ESS Sabre DAC - which one? They don’t disclose it, not a good sign.
I just purchased the Topping D90 with the AK 4499 chip. I could connect it to the NAD. It has subwoofer outputs and analog inputs which I need and Dirac.

I will look into it and obtain more info.

I just received the below from NAD....

Hello Magnus,

Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Crew. I hope you and your loved ones are doing well and staying safe.

I sincerely apologize for the delayed response.

In regards to your inquiry, the DAC within the M33 is the ES-9028Q2M Sabre.

Hopefully this helps!

Take good care and stay safe,
Eric W.
NAD Electronics Support Crew Analyst.
unquote

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They’ve got updated specs on the website now.
https://nadelectronics.com/product/m33-bluos-streaming-dac-amplifier/
380 watts into 4 ohms. And a bridged mode in an integrated?
Here is the Lab Report from HFN:
IMG_20200715_001441.jpg

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RE the Benchmark vs Purifi-based amps, remember that the Benchmark’s low, medium, and high gain settings each provide about 3dB less gain than the equivalent settings in most Purifi-based amps. That’s not a whole lot in terms of listening, but in terms of comparative measurements it can give the Benchmark a slight edge because best measured performance seems to track with lowest gain.

And if you’re looking to feed an amp direct from a live level source, 3dB of difference can become important for gain-staging.

jae

Major Contributor
$5000 price tag. Would have been nice to have some kind of digital or pre-balanced out at that price.

jae

Major Contributor
I also wonder what the specs are like on the headamp

panther

Hope this trickles down to smaller amps in the next year or so.

Top Bottom