• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD new C 3059 LE Stereophonic Amplifier

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just now. Like you, I've never known them to use VU meters.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Since when did NAD have meters??

Since their 1978 "New Acoustic Dimension" model 3045 (and the cheaper 3030, up to the 3080)...

1666479329450.png

1666479708699.png

People have such short memories...

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
NAD_M33_aufm_orange.jpg

I'm not sure if this counts or not?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Let's face it, everyone loves analogue meters. The more the merrier and the bigger the better.

No different to our cars with a whole bunch of meters and guages we don't really need. But we like them.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Let's face it, everyone loves analogue meters. The more the merrier and the bigger the better.

No different to our cars with a whole bunch of meters and guages we don't really need. But we like them.
Never liked meters on amps much myself, to be honest.
And that new thing is a pretty poor looker compared to the 1970s original. The wooden (if it is) top is just wrong. Then, look at the markings around the knobs - ???
Don't like the LEDs either. Are the ones under the volume control a nod to the 3020's power lights? Too much with the meters as well, but I guess the meters will turn out to be inaccurate and with those markings they needed some way of having an actual idea of the volume level somewhere...

The original 1970s HDMI input is probably worth having though.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Well dang, I have no recollection of these even after your reminder.

Maybe the entire series fell through the cracks in the US?

Plenty of gear the USA got, that nobody else did and vice versa.

But, you didn't miss much- that NAD range was not exactly anything special and in the flesh, it looked really cheap and nasty alongside Japanese gear of the same era.

And the anodizing. OMG. All the black went bronze, then goldish and then just mottled and horrible. Worse than Proton's anodizing. Terrible. You still see clowns trying to sell their old NAD gear as 'rare copper finish', when it's just degraded black after 40 years...

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Well dang, I have no recollection of these even after your reminder.

This is the only "series 3000" NAD I can recall ...
NAD3020_amplifier.JPG
There's a "meter" of sorts, top right.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Maybe the entire series fell through the cracks in the US?

Plenty of gear the USA got, that nobody else did and vice versa.

But, you didn't miss much- that NAD range was not exactly anything special and in the flesh, it looked really cheap and nasty alongside Japanese gear of the same era.

And the anodizing. OMG. All the black went bronze, then goldish and then just mottled and horrible. Worse than Proton's anodizing. Terrible. You still see clowns trying to sell their old NAD gear as 'rare copper finish', when it's just degraded black after 40 years...
I guess that explains why, even though the silver version wasn't common, present day retro reviews of NADs of that period always seem to have the silver models? I'd wondered about that.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
The metered versions sold practically zilch in the UK, but by the time I got to looking for my first system in 1980 the 3020 was the only budget amp most places would dream of selling.
I got a used JVC receiver instead. I can't remember why.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The metered versions sold practically zilch in the UK, but by the time I got to looking for my first system in 1980 the 3020 was the only budget amp most places would dream of selling.
I got a used JVC receiver instead. I can't remember why.
JVC offered a EQ.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
JVC offered a EQ.
I owned the RS11L, a budget model so nothing like that. It was generally OK apart from the awful noisy slider controls for the amp section, but the tuner was OK and I used it as a tuner only for over a decade until a burglar decided to take it off my hands.

Top Bottom