• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

fcracer

Forum Donor
Checked the Lana Del Ray song 'For Free' with that line ending in 'walking green'.
The distortion is gone with the latest update as far as I can tell on limited testing.
This was streaming via Apple Music Airplay - no EQ applied. Tone Controls on but both Treble and Bass set to 0.
As mentioned before they have done something to Tone controls so it does not mess up the sound as it did before so it's all good leaving it enabled.
To test for the distortion, and to be consistent with previously reported issues, I suggest you keep tone controls off and subwoofer output on. The remaining settings shouldn’t have an effect.

Baki

I do however think that this is an area for improvement in NAD M33 mk2.
Hello to all in this thread.
I have purchased my M33 arround two months ago and immediately noticed the weak sub output.
I think you are right fcracer speaking about mk2 version.
Look at the statement related to M10 V2 model on NAD's website: "Preamp output, two independent subwoofer outputs with updated gain algorithms".
Wow, if this is really the matter of algorithms this should have been already fixed.
They have most probably increased the value of one (per channel) gain resistor around the (probably) subwoofer opamp.
So in our case - the hardware or "mk2" upgrade would be necessary to correct this.
I would be really happy if I would be wrong...
In my future posts I would maybe share my humble view on why M33 actually cannot sound better disregarding the employed Purify Eigentakt technology which I consider the strong(est) part of audio chain inside the unit.

Last edited:

jaymusic

To test for the distortion, and to be consistent with previously reported issues, I suggest you keep tone controls off and subwoofer output on. The remaining settings shouldn’t have an effect.

Agree.
Test with Tone controls off… distortion is still there…
Tone controls on, gone.
I must emphasise though that the effect of tone controls is night and day to how it was. With tone controls set to 0 and 0 I hear no difference to the music compared to off… which to my ears means turning on tone controls is a solution that has no downside.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wouldn’t say it’s a defect in the design. One of the biggest benefits of the M33 is that we don’t have to go through the hassle of matching components given each manufacturer has their own view of input and output voltages. This subwoofer issue just reminds that we need to pay attention to specs when buying equipment.

I hold myself accountable for not reading the output voltage spec and buying a subwoofer that requires nearly double the voltage the M33 produces just to wake up. As you noted, there are subwoofers available where the input voltage sensitivity and wake thresholds can be adjusted. I do however think that this is an area for improvement in NAD M33 mk2.
Agreed, I should have noted the 1.1 sub output before buying. Do you know that there is a version 2 of the M33 or just musing?

pogo

Major Contributor
Please check:
After the BluOS update, every time I restart the M33, the tone controls are activated.
I don't find that funny...

bvhme

After reading all the recent messages here I've decided to pull the trigger and I've swapped my M10 with a M33 and I have to say that the different in sound is not small, I'm pretty happy with the upgrade :) And this thing is so beautiful, it's mad.

The only irritating thing I find is that the Dirac processing is also applied to the headphones out, which makes it sound ******. Although I have to say the headphone amplifier isn't the star of the show here in any other way either.

Also, this amplifier really breathed new life into my speakers. I thought they were pretty limited and were doomed to produce a weird soundstage due to their upwards firing nature, but these image fine now.

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
The only irritating thing I find is that the Dirac processing is also applied to the headphones out, which makes it sound ******. Although I have to say the headphone amplifier isn't the star of the show here in any other way either.
I find this to be a great advantage, as you can also use it to equalize your headphones, see also here:
Link

DL does not work via bluetooth, and if you do not want it on the physical headphone output, you can deactivate DL there as well.

jaymusic

Please check:
After the BluOS update, every time I restart the M33, the tone controls are activated.
I don't find that funny...

That sort of validates my suspicion that they have used tone controls to ‘fix’ the distortion issue.
Tone controls for me make no perceptible difference at all to the sound after the update when set at 0 for bass and treble… but the distortion is gone when applied.
Before the update applying tone controls butchered the sound.

fcracer

Forum Donor
That sort of validates my suspicion that they have used tone controls to ‘fix’ the distortion issue.
Tone controls for me make no perceptible difference at all to the sound after the update when set at 0 for bass and treble… but the distortion is gone when applied.
I’m in a different city from my M33, but it would be great if someone can run an REW sweep before and after the update to see if they reduced the overall gain by a few db.

bvhme

I've just noticed there is no 'alarm' functionality on the M33 whilst there was on the M10, or is there a way to make this visible. I can't imagine the device would not be able to wake itself at a specific time.

bvhme

Does anyone here know what kind of filter the crossover is, and how aggressive it is. I'm trying to figure out how to cross from my new Kef 11Rs and subs but can't find good specs on the crossover filter.

Stefan

Besides the fact that "tone controls" now seem to be "standard on", nothing has changed to the way it was before (distortion issue still there).
Now "tone controls" does not affect gain as much as it did before (subjectively, not measured). This again is a compromise, not a solution. It covers up the problem a bit better. Still - to my ears - "tone controls" "on" changes not only gain, but also sound.

Baki

Still - to my ears - "tone controls" "on" changes not only gain, but also sound.
What is your subjective impression on tone controls - do you prefer to listen the music having them of or on?
Thanks.

Last edited:

vanwalsum

Anybody knows what the release notes are for the 3.16.2 update today?

Found it! Did not update yet. Anyone can confirm it fixes the tone issue?

BluOS 3.16.2. Released December 6, 2021.
• Add Audio Clock Trim to audio settings on NODE (3rd gen).
• Update tone controls on M10, M10v2 and M33.
• This release applies to the Bluesound NODE (3rd gen), as well as the NAD M10, M10v2 and M33
only.

Hoeksel

Seems not many people, although some in this forum, suffer from audible high frequency noise from the M33 unit. Mine is at my dealer for the second time. The first time they did something to the capacitors, this only reduced the noise, and it has become worse in time and/or it annoyed me more and more in time. My M33 has now been gone for 3.5 weeks and no update yet (but they gave me a loan system).... Besides this issue, and the useless remote (I use a Logitech Harmony) I am very happy with the M33 but quality seems to be an issue for NAD. My M32 and 1 out of 3 MDC cards needed to be replaced < 1 year as well. Hope my M33 comes back fine, and survives the 5 year guarantee I have in NL. Next system won't be NAD probably due to my bad experiences, I do hope other brands come with a comparable all-in-one concept like the M33. Ticks all my boxes!

Stefan

What is your subjective impression on tone controls - do you prefer to listen the music having them of or on?
Thanks.
First let me say that a direct comparison is difficult due to the fact that gain varies by setting on / off. So, it is subjective. But to my ears, tone controls off is clearly better. And with better I mean more lively, engaging. Iˋve tried to switch between on and off many times and quickly adjusted the volume to what I think was the same level.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Does anyone here know what kind of filter the crossover is, and how aggressive it is. I'm trying to figure out how to cross from my new Kef 11Rs and subs but can't find good specs on the crossover filter.

See Figure 11.

Baki

First let me say that a direct comparison is difficult due to the fact that gain varies by setting on / off. So, it is subjective. But to my ears, tone controls off is clearly better. And with better I mean more lively, engaging. Iˋve tried to switch between on and off many times and quickly adjusted the volume to what I think was the same level.
That was my impression as well when I made a comparison via headphones last night. More lively and maybe just a shade more transparent.

Top Bottom