• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That was a good read, thank you!

One question though, you wrote that Dirac Bass Control works even on the included basic version but other posters said doesn't work on the full version and that it might never be supported! Can you please clarify on this point?

Thanks!
The unit has stereo bass outputs. They can be configured as stereo or as mono. I have to confess ignorance as to how that differs from Bass Control, but that’s what you get. Dirac does individual corrections on each channel if configured for stereo.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The unit has stereo bass outputs. They can be configured as stereo or as mono. I have to confess ignorance as to how that differs from Bass Control, but that’s what you get. Dirac does individual corrections on each channel if configured for stereo.
That is how it is done on all embedded Dirac applications but that is not DLBC. It is the equivalent of what Dirac calls "Upmix Only" which is what any regular bass management system does. (I do not know if it EQs each sub individually but that's possible.) What DLBC does beyond this is a complex calculation of the interaction between the subs as well as between the main speakers (two in the case of the M33, more if available).

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That is how it is done on all embedded Dirac applications but that is not DLBC. It is the equivalent of what Dirac calls "Upmix Only" which is what any regular bass management system does. (I do not know if it EQs each sub individually but that's possible.) What DLBC does beyond this is a complex calculation of the interaction between the subs as well as between the main speakers (two in the case of the M33, more if available).
Thanks, Kal. Yes, Dirac as it is supplied does EQ each subwoofer individually.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thanks, Kal. Yes, Dirac as it is supplied does EQ each subwoofer individually.
I thought it did so but my memory of it is fading fast. However, the EQ and crossover are applied to each of 2.2 channels independent of its possible (and inevitable) acoustical interaction with any of the other channels. Good EQ but nothing novel. DLBC in its "Full Bass Optimisation" mode does a kind of Monte Carlo analysis of the variables of the subs and the main speakers (in a 2.2 system) and provides, as they say, an optimized filter set.

Odradek

Those are great news! From previous posts I ended up with the idea that this wasn't possible.

Last edited:

Odradek

So hopefully users with hands on experience with the M33 con clarify this, as the more I read the more confused I am getting:

In order to integrate subs, you can either A:

1 - run dirac with only the mains
2 - add the subs and set the crossover parameters (no slope control am I right? and same crossover freq. for boths subs?)
3 - use any additional dsp provided by the subs if needed

or B:

1 - connect both mains and subs, and run dirac with all, in which case it will set up the crossover automatically
2 - use any additional dsp provided by the subs if needed

is this correct?

Thanks!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
So hopefully users with hands on experience with the M33 con clarify this, as the more I read the more confused I am getting:

2 - add the subs and set the crossover parameters (no slope control am I right? and same crossover freq. for boths subs?)

or B:

1 - connect both mains and subs, and run dirac with all, in which case it will set up the crossover automatically

is this correct?

Thanks!
C. Set up subs, crossover, and level, then run Dirac. One of the screens asks what the setup looks like (e.g., two mains with two subs), so after you choose that, the calibration and then the sweeps and EQ will take care of the rest.

I show screenshots of the setup in my M10 review, and it works the same way with the M33.

Odradek

Thanks SIY! that was an interesting read.

A request for anyone currently in possession of an M33: could you please take a close up picture of the speaker connectors, so that the actual gaps where spades would fit show?

I posted the question in the NAD support page but received no satisactory answer, and I'm running out of time :eek:

Reactions: SIY

jaymusic

or B:

is this correct?

Thanks!

Or B 3 : connect both mains and subs and use additional DSP not provided by the subs. That is what I do. Using Roon - with also allows me to integrate REW curves if I so wish.

fhono

Has anyone experienced low volume with the M33s MM phono input? I have to drive the volume up to 60% before anything is heard, and at max volume it's not very loud. I have the Ortofon Red M2 cartridge on a orbit turntable. I also notice that the analog gain is 0 or -12db regardlees if you hit the + or - button.

pogo

Major Contributor
Compared to other input sources, the MM input is somewhat quieter, but that also depends on the pickup system used or the recording itself. I can confirm the switchable 0/-12dB.

Odradek

Well I missed that ship so now I have 2 or 3 months to think more calmly about forking out this non trivial amount and what I generally expect from life :p

pogo

Major Contributor
The new NAD M10 V2 has updated gain algorithms, which should make themselves positively noticeable straight in the subwoofer mode and with DIRAC LIVE! Maybe this has something to do with the confirmed distortion problems of some NAD devices, including the M33.

Odradek

I guess hopes can go up a bit then? If it is just an update to some algorithms then this "upgrade" could be rolled out as a firmware update right? It wouldn't look very good for NAD to come out with an M33 V2 so soon, it would imply the origianl product was failed

pogo

Major Contributor
It could also be that these basic design settings are not changeable via a BluOS F/W update. The M33 also has a service port on the back and from my point of view you can directly access such design settings.

Stix

Forum Donor
Had a M33 that I loved but the screen went wonky and I had to send it back. Been waiting for them to fix the distortion issue with it before I buy another. Sent them an email checking on the status of the fix and got this response:

We have no further updates regarding this behaviour at this time. The recent BluOS v3.14.20 does not contain any changes for this behaviour recorded in the release notes:

Would love to see them fix it but it doesn’t look good. They will probably do the same M10 v2 upgrades to the M33 eventually and fix it with that. I don’t think they make and sell all that many of these.

deano454

I wouldn't buy it for the sole reason of becoming a doorstop in a few years after either the PSU or the processing part go bust, with custom firmware, no schematics and zero support from the manufacturer when it reaches EOL status.

At least it looks reasonably modular:
NADM33SI_O_5-copy.jpg
That worries me too, far too often class D amps the caps can't cope and die early in years not in tens of years like class A/B

fcracer

Forum Donor
That worries me too, far too often class D amps the caps can't cope and die early in years not in tens of years like class A/B

As a data point, I had a C390DD that I suspected had a cap issue. Even though I had imported the amp to China where the C390DD was never sold, the local NAD distributor in Shanghai was very helpful and offered to repair it. It turned out to be a fault of my apartment’s AC and a protection circuit kicking in, so I never did get to test their repair capability, but most importantly, I felt they were willing to sort things out for me. The C390DD is now pumping out great sound at my best friend’s house, going strong for eight years now.

MercySongs

Did anyone tried the IR IN connection on the M33 and connected a IR extender and made it work?
I tried different IR extender products but no luck.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Recently purchased and then returned an M33 at a cost of 15% for "restocking". Confess to being foolish buying one given all the concerns. In my case my JLA fathoms would NOT function with the M33 no matter all the tips/tricks I tried, NAD support, dealer support, reading and re reading this discussion. At some point I thought, why am I going through all this crap with a $5k audio product? It should work! How could they ship out these units with a 1.1v subwoofer output? It appears that the weak sub out problem has been addressed in the new M10v2. Oh well, live and learn, I went to an STR preamp for bass management and it works like a dream (ARC Genesis is night/day easier to deal with compared to Dirac).

Top Bottom