• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tend to agree, but one counter example: the Anthem STR integrated retails for $4.5k in the US. Add a streamer like bluesound node and the price is comparable. The NAD appears to measure better.

All overpriced IMO for the results....can be pretty to look at more than some other stuff, tho.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can you explain why this does not show up when you tested the speaker outs?
Different situations. In DAC testing the volume is set to -6 dB which means the amps are running at full power. In sharp contrast, the amplifier test is done at just 5 watts so the amp is not remotely stressed. Is this what were asking?

TomJ

The M33 and C 298 both look like a significant step forward from other Purifi builds with their custom SMPS for more peak power (IHF dynamic power) and other mods to support bridged operation (Section 4.3.2 of the 1ET400A Data Sheet: "...bridging two 1ET400A Designs will result in performance degradation as the circuit is not configured to sense the voltage differential that exists between the (now unused) OUT- terminals of the two 1ET400A Designs. Bridging is therefore not recommended. All operation and performance specs are void in this configuration").

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I think this is still not worth the money, but its getting close. You can easily buy worse for the money.

martin900

I wouldn't buy it for the sole reason of becoming a doorstop in a few years after either the PSU or the processing part go bust, with custom firmware, no schematics and zero support from the manufacturer when it reaches EOL status.

At least it looks reasonably modular:
NADM33SI_O_5-copy.jpg

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm how concerned should we be about the difference in channel performance? That seemed much worse than I recall seeing in other amplifiers or integrated products and not the norm. Is that a manufacturing defect or variation of some kind?

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Phono mm is 56kohms. Which should be perfectly OK. Still, the ADC sampling rate choice of 44.1kHz seems strange. Does that also mean if you use Dirac everything will be resampled to that, or the analog will be resampled again to something else?

1604630250856.png

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I admit:

I'll pay extra for pretty.

I love the look of this box, it really is sharp as hell.

While I expect better from the sum of the components inside, the result is most likely a very satisfying audio experience. It would be nice if NAD would step up a bit and optimize the designs though, and really eek out the best from the internal components.

YSC

Major Contributor
Decent performance in my book but price is really out of reach... that price I can buy two genelec 8341 and pair with cheap Chinese dac for the same functionality and much better sound

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm how concerned should we be about the difference in channel performance? That seemed much worse than I recall seeing in other amplifiers or integrated products and not the norm. Is that a manufacturing defect or variation of some kind?
Hard to tell if it is a universal issue or just this one. Will have to test another to be sure. Maybe the owner can contact NAD and ask them if this is to spec and see what they say (I know, it is a long shot).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This or a family vacation in Hawaii?
You can't just decide to go to Hawaii. You have to quarantine for 14 days or take COVID test. With NAD, you can go online and buy it now! :D

rodtor

Forum Donor
The M33 and C 298 both look like a significant step forward from other Purifi builds with their custom SMPS for more peak power (IHF dynamic power) and other mods for bridged operation which the standard Purifi amp module does not support (Section 4.3.2 of the 1ET400A Data Sheet: "...bridging two 1ET400A Designs will result in performance degradation as the circuit is not configured to sense the voltage differential that exists between the (now unused) OUT- terminals of the two 1ET400A Designs. Bridging is therefore not recommended. All operation and performance specs are void in this configuration").
Yes, it would be nice to see measurements for the C 298, which might be appealing for someone, like me, who prefers separates.

Top Bottom