• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

Dreamps

Curious question, how is the volume control calibrated on the various amplifiers? Can a direct comparison be made via the volume controls?
It's really tough between the three, but the evo and m33 are closer in their volume scale and have to be turned up higher is value to match the 40n. Using a phone to determine the db, I don't have a mic at work with me unfortunately.

vanwalsum

It's really tough between the three, but the evo and m33 are closer in their volume scale and have to be turned up higher is value to match the 40n. Using a phone to determine the db, I don't have a mic at work with me unfortunately.
And what about the sound quality between the M33 and the Marantz?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
And what about the sound quality between the M33 and the Marantz?
Unlikely to be any difference. When I had the M33 in house, I did comparisons to several other good amps (low source Z, low distortion and noise) and there were, as one would expect, no audible differences beyond power capabilities.

spyne

it's amazing! sounds great has a bit of a warm feel to it but that helps with the 702 signatures that I have them hooked up to. The reason why i really want the m40n is due to ease and hdmi arc. It just works! i also have the evo150 here as well :) Evo is more clinical and the m40 is more warm but fuller sound. Evo has chromecast built in and the m40n doesn't.
Thanks, sounds like the 40n definitely needs to be on my audition list when I can get into the city and see one in person.
Do you stream from a local network, or only streaming services? If local files, how do you find the HEOS app (or do you use something else to browse the local network)?

Majority of my streaming (at the moment) is personal files stored on my local network through a squeezebox. While I have only just started using Amazon Music, I've not yet used it in my hifi set-up because the squeezebox doesn't support it.

pogo

Major Contributor
Evo is more clinical and the m40 is more warm but fuller sound.
This was to be expected, since the Marantz has a low DF and the Cambridge a high one.
These are comparable to the possible settings on a T+A A200 and the following can be found in the manual:

'A high damping factor tends to produce a more clearly defined, very precise and analytical sound image, whereas a reduced damping factor produces a more warm and softer sound image.'

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This was to be expected, since the Marantz has a low DF and the Cambridge a high one.
These are comparable to the possible settings on a T+A A200 and the following can be found in the manual:

'A high damping factor tends to produce a more clearly defined, very precise and analytical sound image, whereas a reduced damping factor produces a more warm and softer sound image.'
Why are you trying so hard to spread this nonsense? I assume you still haven't bothered to do the quick back-of-the-envelope calculation to show how absolutely silly this idea is, or to actually do a basic experiment.

pogo

Major Contributor
For me and many others it is audible, so it is less nonsense. A simple calculation can certainly not describe the behavior of a reproduced music signal in reality. I have been doing my basic experiments for 30 years, always with the same audible results. And the respected manufacturer T+A will certainly not want to risk its reputation with nonsense.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
No, you are wrong. Unless you have devised a proper blind listening testing process, with plenty of trials, your sighted listening impressions and those of everyone else who hear what you hear mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in terms of evidence. Why is that so hard to understand? Do you people think you have special neural networks that give you super hearing ability? Seriously, stop deluding yourself.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
.... And the respected manufacturer T+A will certainly not want to risk its reputation with nonsense.
Really? Ask them to describe the blind listening, level matched, multiple trial procedure that they use to verify the audibility of the effect with. We DON'T care about the measurements in the sense that we know you can measure differences that are still inaudible. Do you find that hard to believe? Do you except that just because a phenomena can be measured with equipment does not mean that it reaches the threshold of audibility?

Last edited:

Geert

Major Contributor
For me and many others it is audible,

'Others' doing non controlled listening tests, because all controled tests ever performed and documented show no difference. Except when DF is ridiculousy low.

So if you want to discuss this topic in a constructive manner than please start a separate topic where you explain your experiments and share relevant research. Right now you're polluting lots of different topics and no one gets any wiser. Currently there's zero (0) support for your claims.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
A simple calculation can certainly not describe the behavior of a reproduced music signal in reality.

It absolutely can, but you have to spend ten minutes doing it, which you clearly can't be bothered with.

.... And the respected manufacturer T+A will certainly not want to risk its reputation with nonsense

If they actually claim this, they're lying. If they're not, they may be annoyed that someone is attributing stupid things to them.

Calou

I'm curious if there is someone with seriously proven Dirac live experience who can take a look at my settings. I'm losing punch when I switch on my subwoofer from the mains and in total. Can't solve it. Want to know if my settings and timing are good. I'm also curious if Dirac live works better on my Mac or on windows. Playing with DALI Epicon 2 and an NAD M-10D subwoofer. From the impulse response, don't know if it looks good!

View attachment 202854View attachment 202855View attachment 202856View attachment 202857View attachment 202858
Some observations, the sub and the left speaker have nearly identical response, is the sub located next to the left speaker? Good to move it somewhere else and measure result with REW to check the combined response in order to find best sub position.

I find the correction curve of the sub too aggressive below 50 Hz, that might result in less clean bass, below 50 Hz the sub is also lower than the left speaker. Have you tried the automatic settings of Dirac? I had a similar difference of main speakers bass response between left and right and I did get better bass response by using the recommended 3 dB bass curve for both instead of my initial 6dB. You are using 9dB and at 40Hz it's a lot of boost for the right speaker.

vanwalsum

Some observations, the sub and the left speaker have nearly identical response, is the sub located next to the left speaker? Good to move it somewhere else and measure result with REW to check the combined response in order to find best sub position.

I find the correction curve of the sub too aggressive below 50 Hz, that might result in less clean bass, below 50 Hz the sub is also lower than the left speaker. Have you tried the automatic settings of Dirac? I had a similar difference of main speakers bass response between left and right and I did get better bass response by using the recommended 3 dB bass curve for both instead of my initial 6dB. You are using 9dB and at 40Hz it's a lot of boost for the right speaker.

Thx for the great analitical view! Nice to know that dirac is measuring okay, because the sub is indeed next to and on the left outside of the left speaker. Now the right does have a big bump on the curve is is surely working to hard maybe. I’ll try some tweaking tomorrow. Sounds weird that when i’ll lower the curve my overall bass will go up, but i’ll try.

Otherwise i have my sub crossover set to 40hz the right speaker is not turned up that big.

vanwalsum

Thx for the great analitical view! Nice to know that dirac is measuring okay, because the sub is indeed next to and on the left outside of the left speaker. Now the right does have a big bump on the curve is is surely working to hard maybe. I’ll try some tweaking tomorrow. Sounds weird that when i’ll lower the curve my overall bass will go up, but i’ll try.

Otherwise i have my sub crossover set to 40hz the right speaker is not turned up that big.

Played with the amp, made some new measurements with Dirac. But Dirac and my subwoofer won't work. Are there people here who connect their subwoofer to the pre-out? A bit sad that you can't make a choice in settings to use the main speakers as full range when using one of the subwoofer ports.

slaweks

Forum Donor
I'm curious if there is someone with seriously proven Dirac live experience who can take a look at my settings. I'm losing punch when I switch on my subwoofer from the mains and in total. Can't solve it. Want to know if my settings and timing are good. I'm also curious if Dirac live works better on my Mac or on windows. Playing with DALI Epicon 2 and an NAD M-10D subwoofer. From the impulse response, don't know if it looks good!

View attachment 202854View attachment 202855View attachment 202856View attachment 202857View attachment 202858
I would suggest install REW and measure the response of the system (speakers+subwoofer, with Dirac) with different crossover frequencies. In my case the lower the better, i.e. 40Hz is best, but the problem is that below 60Hz the subwoofer does not want to start (unless I make it very loud) - there is a well known issue of M33 outputting rather week signal to the subwoofer.

JohnnyZeroSix

Still there, but not as much as before (I think). I use Billie Eilish - Ocean Eyes for testing. Most of the distortion is gone, but yet, not all. I am still hoping and waiting for a final solution. NAD unworthy.
Hi, just posted about distortion on a C658 thread, (about my C399), and I wonder if we are talking about what I think is a BluOS Replay Gain bug. I get some awful clipping on very dynamic sax sounds unless I turn it OFF completely.

doorofnight

I hear some minor distortion in soms tracks with replay gain disabled also. So I am not sure this is the same issue.

My general opinion about the NAD M33 is that is a formidable amplifier, DIRAC limited is doing a very good job (my UMIK is faulty, this is why I had dissapointing results) and my unit is stable up to now. What I like is that it is quiet easy to turn subwoofers off and have the fronts fullrange and corrected by DIRAC. The sound (my Epicons are "full range") is slightly better with subwoofers, but very doable without. When I listen to an album that causes distortion I simply turn off the subwoofers and I am fine, but still expecting NAD to solve this issue. Still, yet, very dissapointed in NAD. My Lyngdorf gear never had any distortion errors.

pogo

Major Contributor
When I listen to an album that causes distortion I simply turn off the subwoofers
Why don't you try connecting the subwoofer to the pre-out?
All other settings such as crossover frequency, ... you can then make on the SW itself.

Top Bottom