• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

Wrote a review for the M33 at Crutchfield mentioning the problems. Needless to say, they did not post it, guess it was not positive enough. My glowing review of the C298 was posted though.

jaymusic

Wrote a review for the M33 at Crutchfield mentioning the problems. Needless to say, they did not post it, guess it was not positive enough. My glowing review of the C298 was posted though.

Maybe it was too negative?
Why not post it here?

Maybe it was too negative?
Why not post it here?

No need to reiterate what I wrote a couple posts ago.
While a great device, it was not for me. My deal breaker was the unavoidable delay of minimum ~50ms.
Guess I'm a bit sentimental; really loved everything else despite some quirks here and there. Very close to a perfect product and it makes me exciting for the future in consumer audio equipment.

Kw6

For the summer time listening I will stick with my Nad C390dd. I was expecting to superlative results! For the price disappointed!

pogo

Major Contributor
For the summer time listening I will stick with my Nad C390dd. I was expecting to superlative results! For the price disappointed!
Which speakers were used?
Dirac Live on/off?

Last edited:

Kw6

Which speakers were used?
Dirac Live on/off?
For the summer time I use Martin Logan Esl as they are pulled away from the windows. I only played briefly with room EQ and not sure yet but with Room Eq more bass and fuller sound.

pogo

Major Contributor
I previously had the NAD C388, which is similar in sound reproduction to the C390DD. My experience is that the M33 performs very well on potent speakers and outshines my old C388, even without room eq. I can hear the superlative results;)
Have you heard other speakers in comparison?

Kw6

I was thinking of selling my c390dd with Bluos to upgrade to M33 but not worth it for $5k. The c390dd is digital right to the speaker outputs. I'm sure performance without dirac is similar. In some areas Purifi boasts lower distortion but is it audible when competitor amps aren't clipping?

jaymusic

I was thinking of selling my c390dd with Bluos to upgrade to M33 but not worth it for $5k. The c390dd is digital right to the speaker outputs. I'm sure performance without dirac is similar. In some areas Purifi boasts lower distortion but is it audible when competitor amps aren't clipping?

Only you can say whether one sounds better for you. If the M33 is not a significant improvement to your ears over the c390dd then your decision to stick with what you have is 100% spot on. I know how you feel - took me many years to swap out my amp and it was the M33 that finally convinced me to do it because it is simply brilliant to my ears - but we're all different.

Also keep in mind that you can still do full room correction on the c390dd. A Roon subscription, a bluos network bridge MDC for the c390dd - which I think you said you had anyway ... ( MDC BluOS 2i - NAD Electronics ) ... and the free REW software gives you the ability to do anything that DIRAC can do (and better in my view).

Last edited:

Kw6

Not chasing it as don't know if I can get home audition or not and as O mentioned previously not good value at $5k.

pogo

Major Contributor
... and the free REW software gives you the ability to do anything that DIRAC can do (and better in my view).
What disadvantages have you experienced in connection with DL and the M33?
By the way, I also find my manual results better using REW to adapt my filter settings ;)

jaymusic

Not chasing it as don't know if I can get home audition or not and as O mentioned previously not good value at $5k.

I find the M33 to be of exceptional value for the money, exceeding the performance, to my ears, of integrateds and separates at much higher cost. There are not any absolutes here, as we are all different.

Last edited:

jaymusic

What disadvantages have you experienced in connection with DL and the M33?
By the way, I also find my manual results better using REW to adapt my filter settings ;)

I would rather term it as advantages for REW rather than disadvantages of DIRAC.
In that regard, I find that I prefer to do the curve adjustments outside of the M33. This is because I notice a volume drop when applying DIRAC directly - as the M33 is using power to do the processing of the DIRAC curve. It can result in a few dB impact requiring the volume to be turned up and leaving less headroom.

Also by doing the room correction in REW and exporting the filters at various rates, the exported file(s) can be loaded to Roon and become part of Roon's DSP sequence (procedural) - e.g. Further adjustments can be made without touching the 'raw' REW filters. Basically, there is much more control and all the processing is happening before the data hits the M33.

Last edited:

Fritzenheimer

M33 First Impressions Review

While the Dirac Live curve provides for very good clarity, I still wanted some of my bass back. Somehow, I came across the NAD Curve available on their website. This made a huge improvement to the way I like to listen to music. Further to that, I added even a few db more to the bass and saved a number filters (5 max on the M33) to suit different musical needs. Overall, Dirac Live has provided for the largest gain in sound quality that my ears have experienced in any audio purchase I’ve made.

/QUOTE]

I am a total novice with DIRACLive. Just started using it yesterday. How do you apply the NAD Curve. I downloaded it from NAD's site, but it is a text file and I don't understand what it means and how to create a curve within DIRACLive. Can you explain it to me like I was a ten-year old?

Last edited:

jaymusic

When in the Dirac software, after measurement, right-click the Groups (should be main speakers as one group and subwoofer if you have one as another group) on the top right of the screen and there is an option to apply a curve. Select the NAD curve.

Fritzenheimer

When in the Dirac software, after measurement, right-click the Groups (should be main speakers as one group and subwoofer if you have one as another group) on the top right of the screen and there is an option to apply a curve. Select the NAD curve.
Thank you!

pdxaudio

I posted this here before but thought I’d check again if anyone has noticed this or can test on their unit. I have an issue with my M33 where it cuts off the first second or so of the song when playing random songs from different albums. If the same song is started again, it plays fine and when playing songs within the same album, it’s also fine, but when switching to a song from a different album, then the issue can be heard. The two songs I’ve been testing with where I can definitely hear it are “Amalia” by Melody Gardot and “Perfect (Acoustic)” by Ed Sheeran.

This issue happens with various sources, BluOS playing from Qobuz or Amazon or local library but also from a Node 2i connected through coax or optical. On the other hand Node 2i connected through line in and using its own DAC is fine. Playing from Roon is also having a slight issue but not as noticeable. Playing through AirPlay seems fine.

Kw6

I just came across Nad C298 amplifier review which rivals Benchmark AHB2 amps! Add a Node 2i and maybe Schiit Freya you are done and come in below M33!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I posted this here before but thought I’d check again if anyone has noticed this or can test on their unit. I have an issue with my M33 where it cuts off the first second or so of the song when playing random songs from different albums. If the same song is started again, it plays fine and when playing songs within the same album, it’s also fine, but when switching to a song from a different album, then the issue can be heard. The two songs I’ve been testing with where I can definitely hear it are “Amalia” by Melody Gardot and “Perfect (Acoustic)” by Ed Sheeran.

This issue happens with various sources, BluOS playing from Qobuz or Amazon or local library but also from a Node 2i connected through coax or optical. On the other hand Node 2i connected through line in and using its own DAC is fine. Playing from Roon is also having a slight issue but not as noticeable. Playing through AirPlay seems fine.
I did not experience this problem in the 6 months or so that I had the M33. Don’t have it with the M10 that I own, either.

Fritzenheimer

I have’t had these problems at all. Had my M33 for 3 months. I have my M33 connected by ethernet cable.

Top Bottom