• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

galanakop

[QUOTE = "watchnerd, post: 560445, member: 238"] Δεν νομίζω ότι είναι παζάρι.

... Χρειάζομαι τουλάχιστον 3 κουτιά για να κάνω ό, τι κάνει το M33. Η εικασία μου είναι η φθηνότερη που θα μπορούσα να βάλω μαζί θα ήταν στην τιμή των $ 3k-3500.

Θα πληρώσω πρόσβαση $ 1500 για την ευκολία και την απαιλειψη ακαταστασίας χρώματος κιβωτίου. [/ ΠΑΡΑΘΕΤΩ, ΑΝΑΦΟΡΑ]
Could you give 1 or 2 examples ???thanks

Kaboo

It would be all the more important to receive truthful feedback from NAD on my questions in post #464.

Attached my observation that I communicated to NAD in November and was confirmed there.
The answer from NAD support was: The problem will be fixed with one of the next BluOS updates.

There is a reproducible cracking sound (artifacts) at some music points. In my example at lower frequencies.
At higher frequencies there are also artifacts (some users call it sound anomaly or distortion).

Since the whole thing is not so easily reproducible with other users, the real speaker load and sensibility could also play a role, which make these artifacts audible in the time domain.

But don't get it wrong, the M33 plays well in my setup in over 90% of the pieces of music absolutely artifacts free and with a clarity that is impressive. I hope this design problem can really be solved with a BluOS update.
I received my m33 2 weeks ago .Today I noticed the same crackling sound on some tracks .there is no crackling with subwoofers unselected or when tone controls turned on.have you gotten a response from Nad.Have you seen many others having same issues?

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I received my m33 2 weeks ago today I noticed the same crackling sound on some tracks .there is no crackling with subwoofers unselected or when tone controls turned on.have you gotten a response from Nad.Have you seen many others having same issues?

Have you updated to the latest firmware release?

pogo

Major Contributor
I received my m33 2 weeks ago .Today I noticed the same crackling sound on some tracks .there is no crackling with subwoofers unselected or when tone controls turned on.have you gotten a response from Nad.Have you seen many others having same issues?

Just the answer from NAD, which I already mentioned in my post. The behavior has already been described here by some other users.
@SIY: When does the follow up meeting with NAD take place?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Just the answer from NAD, which I already mentioned in my post. The behavior has already been described here by some other users.

Already done. Appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Kaboo

From Bob Moran "
Our engineering team has been able to replicate it here in our labs. Our engineering team will be looking into this further and be providing a fix for this issue in a future firmware update.

Unfortunately, we here in technical support are not provided a timeline on future development and releases so I can not say for certain when this update will become available. However, rest assured that our engineering team will be doing everything they can to resolve this issue as soon as possible."

pogo

Major Contributor
From Bob Moran "
Our engineering team has been able to replicate it here in our labs. Our engineering team will be looking into this further and be providing a fix for this issue in a future firmware update.

Unfortunately, we here in technical support are not provided a timeline on future development and releases so I can not say for certain when this update will become available. However, rest assured that our engineering team will be doing everything they can to resolve this issue as soon as possible."

For now I am reassured that the issue is still noticeable at NAD and is being worked on.

Thalassophile

Hi all. In the last day or so I noticed two updates. One was around 9:30AM EST yesterday (4/8), and another just now at 2:20PM EST. Each took about 30 seconds. Not sure if they address the issues above, but if anyone who has experienced them could chime in the next few days that would much appreciated. Over the past six months I have become very fond of this receiver. Some 13 years ago, I was on a forum on a different site for the Panny XR-57, which was unfairly mocked at the time, IMHO. The snobbery was thick. Part of the discussion was what a future high end but still light weight Class D receiver would look like, with everyone chiming in on their wishlists (room correction + more power w/ 4ohm capability were pretty much on the top of everyone's list). Its finally here, but I have been extremely hesitant about giving it my recommendation to friends looking for the same thing due the issues raised here.

Kaboo

Hi all. In the last day or so I noticed two updates. One was around 9:30AM EST yesterday (4/8), and another just now at 2:20PM EST. Each took about 30 seconds. Not sure if they address the issues above, but if anyone who has experienced them could chime in the next few days that would much appreciated. Over the past six months I have become very fond of this receiver. Some 13 years ago, I was on a forum on a different site for the Panny XR-57, which was unfairly mocked at the time, IMHO. The snobbery was thick. Part of the discussion was what a future high end but still light weight Class D receiver would look like, with everyone chiming in on their wishlists (room correction + more power w/ 4ohm capability were pretty much on the top of everyone's list). Its finally here, but I have been extremely hesitant about giving it my recommendation to friends looking for the same thing due the issues raised here.
I will check when I get home from work with fingers crossed

After BluOS Update this week:

It is now possible to adjust the balance, while Dirac-Filters are activated!
For the future it would be nice to implement this function in the BluOS-App itself... Perhaps for my birthday?

Thank you, NAD!

rockyb

Forum Donor
I can confirm that the M33 shows up after updating the M33 today as "Roon Ready" and works with Roon. Also this did not show under "Roon Tested". I have no opinion yet of the update impact on music.

Kaboo

Well I have tried the m33 after the 2 updates and the distortion issue has not gone away. Hopefully it is a priority for nads engineers and is something that is fixable .It apears that this has been going on for some time with other owners .Im hoping that Covid has slowed the teams progress and it is not a hardware issue that is not being dealt with.

pogo

Major Contributor
Im hoping that Covid has slowed the teams progress and it is not a hardware issue that is not being dealt with.

If it were a hardware issue, it would be published in SBs, hence my question for NAD about it:

My questions:
Are there already SBs (service bulletins) for the M33? Where can these also be viewed in the future?

If it were a hardware issue, it would be published in SBs, hence my question for NAD about it:

Why there are no detailed information about the software-updates available?
NAD change settings in their items and nobody is informed about it and you have to find it yourself.
Or am I wrong?

pogo

Major Contributor
Why there are no detailed information about the software-updates available?
NAD change settings in their items and nobody is informed about it and you have to find it yourself.
Or am I wrong?

It's best to ask this question to NAD ;)

But I think they also have other priorities at the moment, e.g. the distortion issue, which probably also occurs on the C658 and T778 (also BluOs & DL):

This issue also affects NAD C658 when you enable subwoofer output... The higher you set the crossover, the harder the clipping... NAD has no timeline for fixing this. It is still affecting the T778, and most likely will not be fixed ever... I'm done with NAD! I'll sell my C658 and find another solution...

See this thread also:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...me-female-vocal-distortion.22151/#post-737364

This observation is also interesting:

2) Connected my external Squeezebox touch player via digital out to coax 1 on the C658 and tested the same tracks. The result - Distortion is present!

3) Connected my external Squeezebox touch player via digital out to coax 1 on the C658, but changes its audion settings from "fixed" volume to 90% variable volume of digital out and tested the same tracks. The result -NO distortion!

That would in turn confirm my assumption:

Don't get me wrong. I am not looking for an amplifier. I am interested in a root cause to this problem.
My guess:
Tone Control = on -> no distortion, but a bit quieter in the playback
Tone Control = off -> with distortion, but a bit louder in playback

If my guess is confirmed by KjetilA, this indicates for an overdriven audio signal internally for the next stage (internal gain settings were not set properly by NAD designers in the M33). The end user has no influence on this, as I have already described before.

Thalassophile

Kaboo + Pogo: from what you have experienced and/or you have read...this happens regardless of Dirac being engaged and / or the subwoofer initially being incorporated when Dirac was set up? Regardless of Dirac's implementation, with the subwoofer engaged at certain cross-over settings, there is distortion on certain, but not all tracks? The last variable would be the listening levels. Is this is happening when volume is cranked and the subwoofer is earning its paycheck, or is it a matter of just having the subwoofer set to "ON", regardless ? Judging from PDXAudio's sample's a few weeks ago, its just having the subwoofer settings on. The track in question was not bass heavy, and the sample did not seem that loud, yet the distortion was clearly audible.

Kaboo

This is just a matter of having subwoofer on . Distortion is still audible at very low levels.Nad suggested in the short term I turn tone controls on to alleviate problem.I hope this isn't the permanent fix .Totally unexceptable

Kaboo

Kaboo + Pogo: from what you have experienced and/or you have read...this happens regardless of Dirac being engaged and / or the subwoofer initially being incorporated when Dirac was set up? Regardless of Dirac's implementation, with the subwoofer engaged at certain cross-over settings, there is distortion on certain, but not all tracks? The last variable would be the listening levels. Is this is happening when volume is cranked and the subwoofer is earning its paycheck, or is it a matter of just having the subwoofer set to "ON", regardless ? Judging from PDXAudio's sample's a few weeks ago, its just having the subwoofer settings on. The track in question was not bass heavy, and the sample did not seem that loud, yet the distortion was clearly audible.
I use an acoustic track female singer with no bass at very low volume subwoofer 80
hz .tone controls off to replicate the issue

Thalassophile

This is just a matter of having subwoofer on . Distortion is still audible at very low levels.Nad suggested in the short term I turn tone controls on to alleviate problem.I hope this isn't the permanent fix .Totally unexceptable

Agreed. My room is small and the subwoofer rarely "kicks in," but I am going to leave it engaged for the next week and just have background music on all day. I use a stand desk while WFH that is between the two tweeters, so I can hear every detail. Will report back.

Top Bottom