• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

pogo

Major Contributor
Is your tone control active? The distortion disappear when tone control = on (for some reason).

Have you ever tried a hardware reset as described in post #307?

Have you ever tried a hardware reset as described in post #307?

There is no hardware reset on the m33 but a hard reset...
But is there a difference between a soft and a hard reset and what are this differences?
In my opinion a soft reset can be done, when the m33 and the display is still working and a hard reset is necessary when the m33 doesn‘t reacts to any orders.
The results of the two resets are factory resets.
Or am I wrong?

fcracer

Forum Donor
There is no hardware reset on the m33 but a hard reset...
But is there a difference between a soft and a hard reset and what are this differences?
In my opinion a soft reset can be done, when the m33 and the display is still working and a hard reset is necessary when the m33 doesn‘t reacts to any orders.
The results of the two resets are factory resets.
Or am I wrong?

I don't think it makes a difference which reset you use, however if for some reason you can't use the software initiated one, you can use the hardware initiated one from page 5 of the user manual:

2 Force Factory Reset
  1. Press and hold rear panel RESET tact switch and while doing so, turn ON the rear panel POWER switch. Do not release hold of the RESET tact switch.
  2. Hold down the RESET tact switch - STATUS INDICATOR (NAD logo) alternately blinks red and white.
  3. Release the RESET tact switch as soon as the front panel display shows “Factory Reset...”
  4. Successful Factory Reset is indicated by the unit rebooting.
- For wireless connection, M33 returns to Hotspot mode and STATUS INDICATOR (NAD logo) indicator turns into solid white.
- For wired connection, M33 will simply connect as if it was a new player and NAD logo indicator turns into solid white.

IMPORTANT
Releasing the Standby button switch at any time before the STATUS INDICATOR (NAD logo) begins flashing red will cancel the factory reset and leave the M33 at Upgrade Mode. Just start again the procedure for Factory Reset.

yanm

Forum Donor
This is a good point. However, I think volume management while it can be done wouldn't be convenient to use in practice while time delay is a non-issue. This is not conceptually different from using a pair of powered speakers for your HT system. So, any feature in your HT system to do time alignment will take care of any delays within the NAD (with or without Dirac engaged as long as you always use the mode that was used to measure it with the HT system).

But without a HT bypass at unity gain and also bypassing any processing (that will make it look like a clean external amp to your HT system), you have a couple of caveats:

1. The volume level on the NAD to use. In theory, you can put the NAD volume at 0db and use the HT volume control to control the volume so you have the complete dynamic range available. But this is a bit dangerous potentially unless you have an automatic volume change on switching the source. It is also inconvenient to change the volume to what you need on the NAD for the calibration done for HT every time you switch to HT from another source. If it allows you to specify a volume to start at whenever you switch to a specific input, then this becomes a non-issue. I have not seen the manual to see if it does. In this case, you can set the volume to whatever gets it closest to the volumes on the HT for other channels and then let the HT fine-tune its pre-out volume to match. The volume control on the HT system will then control all channels during use.

2. Engaging or disengaging Dirac. You can have Dirac engaged and then do the HT room EQ, so it will be doing the EQ over the Dirac corrected curve. If you don't and then use Dirac for other sources you will have to switch it off before using HT every-time unless this can also be specified as a per source setting. But this is cleaner and will work correctly with any crossed over sub in your HT system. If you engage Dirac with HT, then would need a separate profile setting for HT for the crossed over setting from the HT coming into your amp to have different correction than using another source into it for the full range.

So, while technically feasible, usability may not be as simple as a single remote click switch between HT and local sources.

I was looking for this specific information on the Internet, and I stumbled onto your post. Thanks for the good explanation!

I was actually thinking about adding a M33 to my system: uses it to listen to music (as streamer/DAC/amp) and uses it only as a power amp for the home theater (via the pre-out of my AVR). After reading your post, I see that it may not be a good idea (too finicky) without a proper home theater bypass. What is interesting is that your two points seem to be easily implemented via software in principle: define e.g. "line-level input" with “home theatre bypass”, set fixed volume (say 0dB) for that input and do not propagate change of volume from other inputs to "line-level input" and vice-versa, and finally (optional) have a "no EQ" profile for "line-level input."

I guess I wI’ll just wait for another good-measuring streamer/DAC/amp with proper home theater bypass...

( I am well aware that combining a miniDSP SHD and a good power amp would cost similar or less and have better performance ... the convenience would however not be the same. )

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
Is your tone control active? The distortion disappear when tone control = on (for some reason).

Here is an interesting hearing test report of the C298 with the same Purifi technology:
10audio.com

Is your distortion hearing the same?

Excerpt:
The extreme resolution of the Magico diamond coated beryllium tweeter exposes some fairly wide-band low level grain, which is not present in the IcePower-based NAD RMB-1565 multi-channel amplifier in my home theater system, nor was this grain even minimally observed in the previous review of the $1,499 PS Audio Stellar S300. This grain or noise does not have not the usual solid-state fingerprint, but a more confused, uncorrelated anomaly.

fcracer

Forum Donor
This forum topic is so odd.

It has people that drop in from time to time to share the same problem again and again, but then disappear when given feedback on how they can fix their issues (which appear to be user originated). Then there was a mystery firmware update coming from NAD which has not happened.

Now we have folks quoting articles about grain and other negative subjective opinions that golden eared reviewers can hear only with certain speakers. I don’t know what to make of all this, but it seems very un-ASR-like.

My M33 has been operating flawless with the exception of the dumbest (but very beautiful) remote control ever conceived for an amplifier. I tested the distortion issue mentioned a few posts above using REW and didn’t see anything in the measures.

rockyb

Forum Donor
Right on about the M33 remote control. The best looking, most buttoned but totally useless furniture scratcher since I had a cat. I recall BluOS has a remote that might work better with 80% less buttons. Anyone tried it?
I still have nor gotten a strong opinion about the grain issue...

pogo

Major Contributor
Right on about the M33 remote control. The best looking, most buttoned but totally useless furniture scratcher since I had a cat. I recall BluOS has a remote that might work better with 80% less buttons. Anyone tried it?
I still have nor gotten a strong opinion about the grain issue...

See my post #420 for a very good alternative.

When 'audiophiles' report a particular grain issue, that experience is real.

See my post #420 for a very good alternative.

When 'audiophiles' report a particular grain issue, that experience is real.

I also have a „grain issue“ in the morning, when I open my eyes. Like a miracle it disappears, after taking a shower.
Perhaps this is the way to take away some grain, cloudy or muddy sound...

pogo

Major Contributor
This forum topic is so odd.

It has people that drop in from time to time to share the same problem again and again, but then disappear when given feedback on how they can fix their issues (which appear to be user originated). Then there was a mystery firmware update coming from NAD which has not happened.

Now we have folks quoting articles about grain and other negative subjective opinions that golden eared reviewers can hear only with certain speakers. I don’t know what to make of all this, but it seems very un-ASR-like.

My M33 has been operating flawless with the exception of the dumbest (but very beautiful) remote control ever conceived for an amplifier. I tested the distortion issue mentioned a few posts above using REW and didn’t see anything in the measures.

It would be all the more important to receive truthful feedback from NAD on my questions in post #464.

Attached my observation that I communicated to NAD in November and was confirmed there.
The answer from NAD support was: The problem will be fixed with one of the next BluOS updates.

There is a reproducible cracking sound (artifacts) at some music points. In my example at lower frequencies.
At higher frequencies there are also artifacts (some users call it sound anomaly or distortion).

Since the whole thing is not so easily reproducible with other users, the real speaker load and sensibility could also play a role, which make these artifacts audible in the time domain.

But don't get it wrong, the M33 plays well in my setup in over 90% of the pieces of music absolutely artifacts free and with a clarity that is impressive. I hope this design problem can really be solved with a BluOS update.

Attachments

• 201103.zip
    305.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Nullproblemo

Forum Donor
Now that I finally found a discounted NAD M33 (€4200 instead of €5500) I checked the Dirac website:
"Not The Original Owner?
  • If you purchased an NAD on the used market, the license for Dirac Live is not transferable from the original owner. If you’d like to use Dirac Live capabilities with your processor, you will need to purchase your own license for Dirac Live Full Frequency."
I don't know what to say, but I think it's a total no go !:mad:

fcracer

Forum Donor
Now that I finally found a discounted NAD M33 (€4200 instead of €5500) I checked the Dirac website:
"Not The Original Owner?
  • If you purchased an NAD on the used market, the license for Dirac Live is not transferable from the original owner. If you’d like to use Dirac Live capabilities with your processor, you will need to purchase your own license for Dirac Live Full Frequency."

The M33 comes with the free LE version. What you’ve quoted above appears to be for the full version. I don’t see any reason why you can’t use the LE version with a second hand M33. Suggest contacting Dirac and ask them, they’re pretty good at replying quickly.

The M33 comes with the free LE version. What you’ve quoted above appears to be for the full version. I don’t see any reason why you can’t use the LE version with a second hand M33. Suggest contacting Dirac and ask them, they’re pretty good at replying quickly.

Yes, it is about the „light“ Dirac Version, I think. If the new owner wants a full version, he has to pay for. Normal.
But what about the full version of the first owner if he buys another Dirac-product with Dirac Le?
Is it possible to transfer this licence to another item?

fcracer

Forum Donor
Yes, it is about the „light“ Dirac Version, I think. If the new owner wants a full version, he has to pay for. Normal.
But what about the full version of the first owner if he buys another Dirac-product with Dirac Le?
Is it possible to transfer this licence to another item?

It’s best to contact Dirac and ask them, however logic would dictate that you’d have to buy the full version again with a new product since the full version is subsidized on the M33 at only $99. At $99 for Dirac Full on a $4995 device, I personslly think it’s inconsequential. This is all my personal opinion so I’d again recommend reaching out to Dirac.

"Not The Original Owner?

If you finally found a discounted NAD M33 for 4200€, why don’t you buy it ?

Top Bottom