• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

Peacemaker

@ChrisF Thanks for sharing your experience with the M33. I'm in the process of evaluating it myself. Took delivery last week. Will add my evaluation also.

@SIY Have you evaluated this unit personally?

fcracer

Forum Donor
My highly unscientific approach is playing the same grouping of songs and listening for the level of accentuation of instruments within the mix. On some equipment, they are there, muddled together and there isn't much separation. On others, the instruments stand out; have more clear definition of their parts, more prominence and are better individually heard. This is done with equipment level matched.

FWIW, i have not engaged Dirac yet.

How does your M33 determine what music to play clearly and what music to muddle?

I’m flabbergasted at the variability of people’s perceptions of this amplifier. Is there a defective batch out there?

I’ve found the sound quality of the M33 to be excellent with a dead silent background and loads of power.

Maru

So I did another test with my M33 cutting off the beginning of a song with these results:
  1. M33
    • BluOS - the beginning of the songs were cut off
    • Roon - no issues
  2. Node 2i connected to M33 through coax
    • BluOS - songs cut off
    • Roon - songs cut off
  3. Node 2i connected to M33 through RCA to line in
    • BluOS - no issues
    • Roon - no issues
Here’s a link to a video I recorded trying to demonstrate the issue with BluOS directly on the M33. In the video I’m skipping through songs in a playlist and then going back to the beginning of a song after a few seconds. The first time the song is cut off and the second time it plays fine. I put a phone with BluOS app next to the amp to try to show when the song is repeated.

Hi PDXAudio,

out of curiosity, when you tried the Node 2i connected to M33 through coax, apart from cutting off the first song bits, did you notice any sound improvements compared to streaming the same tracks via the M33 alone ?

Im asking because I tried the same set up and the sound always sounded a bit fuller and more "complete" when streaming from the Node 2I into the M33.

Maru

Recent M33 purchaser. Paired it to a set of Goldenear Triton 2+'s.

It replaced:
Benchmark AHB2
Elac DDP-2

Let me start by saying that I'm a big fan of NAD. I've owned their equipment dating back to my first systems (1020 pre/2150 amp). Started back in the hobby with a C658 which I also loved. I purchased so that I could have a nice all in one box to do all duties. Was really excited when the reviews started coming in as sounding amazing. Initial impressions:

- I can't believe I'm listening to the same unit people everywhere are raving about. I'm trying to give it the benefit of the doubt thinking maybe it needs to break in but I'm going to be shocked if it gets that much better.

- It's unable to resolve detail in my test tracks that most other equipment could to varying degrees

- It lacks warmth and midrange smoothness and sounds very digital

- To get meaningful volume in a small room on relatively easy to drive speakers, i'm at 60-70% volume.

- Lack of Roon for a piece this streaming centric is disappointing

- The remote can't access menu items to make adjustments.

Would appreciate any feedback.

I have a similar experience apart from maybe not so extreme

- It lacks warmth and midrange smoothness and sounds very digital >sometimes have the same experience, very dependent on the track quality and type of music, for instance, Jazz, blues, trap/rap techno if the tracks are well recorded all sound nearly amazing or amazing. When it comes to rock or cheesy pop (with thin sound) sometimes it utterly unleasable.

- To get meaningful volume in a small room on relatively easy to drive speakers, i'm at 60-70% volume. > same, maybe its the way the volume control is configured

- The remote can't access menu items to make adjustments. > remote is utterly useless, wonderfull piece of hardware but ... it could have been avoided and saved money.

If by any chance you have a NODE 2i try to listen to the same tracks via coax, set up the node to use the M33 dac and let me know, I did it and always got a more fuller sound and more complete.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
- It lacks warmth and midrange smoothness and sounds very digital >sometimes have the same experience, very dependent on the track quality and type of music, for instance, Jazz, blues, trap/rap techno if the tracks are well recorded all sound nearly amazing or amazing. When it comes to rock or cheesy pop (with thin sound) sometimes it utterly unleasable.

How exactly did you determine that the amplifier was the cause of this impression?

I'm still trying to figure out what "sounds very digital" even means.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’m curious about the remote control. I am disappointed to hear that one can’t access the menu and change settings, but I would like to know more specifics. Turn Dirac on and off and/or switch between saved curves? Switch between inputs easily (without having to cycle through all of them)? Playback controls for streaming? Ability to switch between information displayed on the screen? Control other devices (possibly not made by NAD)?

One assumes it can control the volume. The touchscreen, to me, seems more valuable for the information it shows than as a way to interact with the device.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I’m curious about the remote control. I am disappointed to hear that one can’t access the menu and change settings, but I would like to know more specifics. Turn Dirac on and off and/or switch between saved curves? Switch between inputs easily (without having to cycle through all of them)? Playback controls for streaming? Ability to switch between information displayed on the screen? Control other devices (possibly not made by NAD)?

All of these functions (and more) are more easily controlled via your phone using the BluOS app. I'm still not sure what the utility of the remote is (other than as a weapon).

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
All of these functions (and more) are more easily controlled via your phone using the BluOS app. I'm still not sure what the utility of the remote is (other than as a weapon).
Thanks! I didn’t realize the BluOS app would actually control the device (beyond just the streaming part). I guess I need to read your review!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks! I didn’t realize the BluOS app would actually control the device (beyond just the streaming part). I guess I need to read your review!
My M33 review isn't out yet, but this is covered in my M10 review. Works the same for either device.

Maru

How exactly did you determine that the amplifier was the cause of this impression?

I'm still trying to figure out what "sounds very digital" even means.

Long story, 6 months ago I decided to renew my old Denon 1510 amp, so tried a Denon PMA1600, a Cambridge audio CXA 81 and a Cyrus ONE Cast.

Probably the best sounding amp was the Denon PMA 1600, similar to a live concert experience with a really good 3D image (depth)
The Cyrus had a very clean sound, better bass control, very limited soundstage and depth, Overall sound was thin and artificial (compared to the Denon type at least). Lets say cold sounding overall > lets call this as a digital sound type.

I decided to go with the NAD M33 without even trying it. It turned out to be an interesting mix between the Denon and the Cyrus, a really clean sound, sometimes even too much, just slightly cold and very controlled, wide soundstage, less depth then the Denon. Sometimes sounds seems to be "metallic" sounding > I call this a digital sound.

As I had several issues with the firsts M33 unit received, BT not working and some other problems (screen corruptions etc). I tested the NAD M33 with a NODE 2I connected via coax and using the M33 DAC > it sounded much better with slightly fuller bass, more depth, overall better sound.

I got another unit due to the BT issue, again screen corruption etc, sound is good but still that sometimes "digital sound typè ... anyway thats not even the issue. The issue is that im disappointed by NAD selling a 4K pound unit and having all these issues.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Long story, 6 months ago I decided to renew my old Denon 1510 amp, so tried a Denon PMA1600, a Cambridge audio CXA 81 and a Cyrus ONE Cast.

Probably the best sounding amp was the Denon PMA 1600, similar to a live concert experience with a really good 3D image (depth)
The Cyrus had a very clean sound, better bass control, very limited soundstage and depth, Overall sound was thin and artificial (compared to the Denon type at least). Lets say cold sounding overall > lets call this as a digital sound type.

I decided to go with the NAD M33 without even trying it. It turned out to be an interesting mix between the Denon and the Cyrus, a really clean sound, sometimes even too much, just slightly cold and very controlled, wide soundstage, less depth then the Denon. Sometimes sounds seems to be "metallic" sounding > I call this a digital sound.

As I had several issues with the firsts M33 unit received, BT not working and some other problems (screen corruptions etc). I tested the NAD M33 with a NODE 2I connected via coax and using the M33 DAC > it sounded much better with slightly fuller bass, more depth, overall better sound.

I got another unit due to the BT issue, again screen corruption etc, sound is good but still that sometimes "digital sound typè ... anyway thats not even the issue. The issue is that im disappointed by NAD selling a 4K pound unit and having all these issues.

So do I take it that you used no controls to determine whether there was any sound coloration or effects from source? That's a pity. There's absolutely no validity to these "observations."

Maru

So do I take it that you used no controls to determine whether there was any sound coloration or effects from source? That's a pity. There's absolutely no validity to these "observations."

Apologies but I dont get your comment,

I just summarized my personal experience with the M33 and compared with other "lower" level amplifiers, we are not talking about simple coloration here.

> source was always the same, same tracks via streaming via Amazon Prime HD used different bitrates as well) or CD player via optical
> compared sound quality from streaming/CD directly via the NAD M33 and via the NODE2I and here was the biggest surprise
> Several hardware/software issues for the M33 blueOS module in 2 units, the NODE 2I was working very very well.
> I can also add that the Cambridge CXA 81 BT connectivity and sound quality was at higher level then the NAD m33 and the NODE I2
> DL its a very nice feature and it was one of the main drives for buying the NAD, I confirm that it does put back the soundstage a lot, flattens the sound, focuses the voices more in the center, pretty in line with other reviews. I tried also with the NAD curve and Harman target curve (+ 6 and 8 DB for lower frequencies) and cut at 200, 500, 1KH and full frequency spectrum.

My subjective observations are in line with any HIFI equipment review, meaning not done from purely a technical point of view.

Dont get me wrong, I think its a very nice all in one amplifiers but let down by the software implementation on the BLUEOS module as well as outdated and bad app UX design, let alone the price ...

My advice is to try this amp as it deserves it, if it fits with your room/speaker set up its worth it providing that there are no hardware faults.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Apologies but I dont get your comment,

I just summarized my personal experience with the M33 and compared with other "lower" level amplifiers, we are not talking about simple coloration here.

> source was always the same, same tracks via streaming via Amazon Prime HD used different bitrates as well) or CD player via optical
> compared sound quality from streaming/CD directly via the NAD M33 and via the NODE2I and here was the biggest surprise
> Several hardware/software issues for the M33 blueOS module in 2 units, the NODE 2I was working very very well.
> I can also add that the Cambridge CXA 81 BT connectivity and sound quality was at higher level then the NAD m33 and the NODE I2
> DL its a very nice feature and it was one of the main drives for buying the NAD, I confirm that it does put back the soundstage a lot, flattens the sound, focuses the voices more in the center, pretty in line with other reviews. I tried also with the NAD curve and Harman target curve (+ 6 and 8 DB for lower frequencies) and cut at 200, 500, 1KH and full frequency spectrum.

My subjective observations are in line with any HIFI equipment review, meaning not done from purely a technical point of view.

Dont get me wrong, I think its a very nice all in one amplifiers but let down by the software implementation on the BLUEOS module as well as outdated and bad app UX design, let alone the price ...

My advice is to try this amp as it deserves it, if it fits with your room/speaker set up its worth it providing that there are no hardware faults.
The sonic claims are extraordinary enough to beg for basic controls. Otherwise, it’s presumptively purely imaginary. And in a science based venue, imaginary doesn’t cut it.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My subjective observations are in line with any HIFI equipment review...

Exactly.

Those don't use controls either.

Reactions: ENG

Maru

The sonic claims are extraordinary enough to beg for basic controls. Otherwise, it’s presumptively purely imaginary. And in a science based venue, imaginary doesn’t cut it.

Ok understood your point of view, I guess all goes down what you mean for basic controls and how they are used, analysed and reported.

Regardless, my opinion regards the M33 still stands and all its HW/SW defects including the final output which is sound quality perceived in respect to my room/speaker set up.

What it might be interesting actually how come there is a tangible difference in perceived sound quality between the internal bluos module and the NodeI2 when connected to the M33 via coax and using the M33 DAC (both of them should be the same and had the the same firmware version). Maybe interesting to test this set up using basic controllers to make it scientifically acceptable.

At least we can agree/disagree with that :)

Top Bottom