• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M32 Graphs & Specs

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
(The NAD M32 is a hybrid digital / analog product, so I couldn't decide which section to put it in, thus I've put it in General.)

I'm pretty intrigued by the M32 integrated amp, which inverts the usual signal chain on its head by going digital early via AD converters and then using PWM amps all the to the loudspeakers.

It's modular, with card slots on the back for various input sources (from phono to LAN), has digital volume control, a high sample rate, and MQA support (whatevs....maybe it will take off).

NAD-M32-Master-Series-integrated-amplifier.jpg

The first published test results I've found are located here:

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...er&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154

They're highly unusual, no doubt due to the unique architecture, so I'm not quite sure how to interpret them.

What do you guys think?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does not look as quiet and low distortion as I would expect.

Something like the Benchmark (which isn't a switching amp) looks much better.
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...er&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154

The sensitivity in the upper frequencies to the load of the loudspeaker isn't comforting. I have Tripath based amps and they usually act that way. Often it isn't the problem you would expect, but with a few speakers it is. Icepower based designs seem better in this regard though not bullet proof either.

I think for the money you might do better.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Does not look as quiet and low distortion as I would expect.

Something like the Benchmark (which isn't a switching amp) looks much better.

The sensitivity in the upper frequencies to the load of the loudspeaker isn't comforting. I have Tripath based amps and they usually act that way. Often it isn't the problem you would expect, but with a few speakers it is. Icepower based designs seem better in this regard though not bullet proof either.

I think for the money you might do better.

Well, for about $3k more, this is what the Devialet Expert Pro 130 looks like, which has comparable features (although no headphone jack):

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...er&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154

Cortes

Indeed looks very good. Distorsion is of course not as good as Benchmark AHB2.

Hoewer it's a full package with its own DAC. It can bi-amp speakers (or bi-wire??) with two sets of speaker outs with its own crossover.

This thing can elevate passive coax such as the Kef R3 to another level with the b-wire?.

Audio Flynn

I just bought the M32 amp with Blu OS 2i card for high resolution streaming. I will have it up and running tomorrow.

I have not bought a new amp for my main system in 13 years. After years of tubes and Class A/B with only one Tripath digital amp in my investigations, it seemed to try a newer technology.

tjf

The M32's "DAC" functionality is supplied by NAD's implementation of "DDFA" amplification, at around 150W/Ch @ 8 Ohms...

So the DAC is part of the power amp stage, using a PCM to PWM conversion to create the voltage to be amplified by it's class D amplifier stage....like NAD's D7050, Bluesound's "PowerNode 2i", and Steinway/Lyngdorf's amps...

So no conventional DAC stage in the M32 -- the various PCM sources (BluOS card, SPDIF inputs, or the digitized analog inputs) go to the DDFA stage for conversion from PCM data to a class D signal which is then amplified via the class D amp and sent to the output's digital feedback/filter circuit, which you need to select via a setup menu for correct speaker load impedance settings for flat high frequency response, etc., etc....

If you want a deep dive on the DDFA technology, check out Amir's review of NAD's Masters M51 DAC, as well as Stereophile's review of same, John Atkinson gives a fair description of this 10+ year old tech...

It should be noted that both NAD and Steinway are moving to Purifi amp tech, so the days of DDFA amps from these companies are numbered, it is a rather dated technology, after all....

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The NAD M32.
Gross dimensions (W x H x D)
435 x 133 x 396 mm
17 1/8 x 5 1/4 x 15 5/8 inches
Net weight 9.8 kg (21.6 lbs)
Shipping weight 18.5 kg (40.8 lbs)
T6.3AL 250V fuse at rear panel.(A video that I watched showed a T8AL Fuse.)
AC-line current draw: 35.0W, 0.456A, 0.63PF
It's a small for it's output rating amp with the latest technology. If it ever req's service it will probably be a PCB replace or swap situation. It's a very cool piece.

Top Bottom