• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M28 Seven Channel Power Amplifier Review

Michael YYZ

When I un-packed my M28, I remembered to weigh it. Without the magnetic feet, it has a mass of 14.8 kg, or 32.6 lbs.
For comparison, the M17 V2i has a mass of 10.6 kg, or 23.4 lbs, also without the magnetic feet.

At least they’re the lighter class d! The one area that didn’t resonate with me in the review was the statement that the amp was close to 50lbs. The shipping weight is 46lbs. The cardboard internal stuff that protects the amp was surprisingly heavy as well. I bet this weighs less than my AVR it is replacing (which is less than 40 lbs). It is remarkable because I can install an entire 16 channel “separates” system in my tv stand without much issue. Sone of those multichannels weigh from 70 to over a hundred pounds. The tv stand couldn't have handled that.

Michael YYZ

Dead on! Only a -0.3% error in your estimate. Well done, Kal! :)

Agreed. All the NAD specs are for the dimensions of the M28 chassis but the weight is specified as "Shipping Weight." I can say that when I replaced my old 65lb. Bryston 9B with the M28, it seemed about half the weight. Of course, that's merely a subjective assessment. :)

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I can say that when I replaced my old 65lb. Bryston 9B with the M28,

How did the your loyal Bryston take that? Usurped by a svelte, young and prettier model...

A Bryston scorned. She may go full DC on you and take out your speakers as payback.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Someone asked for multitone test. I added it to the review. Here it is also:

index.php
Are there 32 tones tests of other purifi to compare with ? I searched on the forum but I didn't find.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are there 32 tones tests of other purifi to compare with ? I searched on the forum but I didn't find.
I don't usually run this test on Amplifiers so no, I did not run it on the reference.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
The upcoming Purifi based multichannel
amps will all come with the OPA1612 op
amp by default. The socket is dip8 so op amp rolling is possible. The new multichannel amps also support discrete dip8 op amps like Sonic Imagery 994 etc... It will possible to order the amp with the Sonic Imagery 994 by default.
The mini has no option for 12V trigger.
Multichannel amps requires 12V trigger option in my opinion.

Last edited:

Apollon Audio

Audio Company
The mini has no option for 12V trigger.
Multichannel amps requires 12V trigger option in my opinion.

The mini already has the trigger included just like the upcoming multichannel amps. Please look at the rear pictures of the mini. It has two trigger ports. The upper port is trigger IN and the lower port is trigger THRU.

Last edited:

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
The mini already has the trigger included just like the upcoming multichannel amps. Please look at the rear pictures of the mini. It has two trigger ports. The upper port is trigger IN and the lower port is trigger THRU.
Input and thru 12V ports is great. Thru is great for the subwoofer , instead of using a Y cable. Well done.
I'm very impatient to see your multichannel amp tested by amir !

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
How did the your loyal Bryston take that? Usurped by a svelte, young and prettier model...

A Bryston scorned. She may go full DC on you and take out your speakers as payback.
The immediate motivation for the replacement was that one channel in the 9B had failed. It has been returned to Bryston to be repaired under warranty. It was purchased in 2001!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
When I un-packed my M28, I remembered to weigh it. Without the magnetic feet, it has a mass of 14.8 kg, or 32.6 lbs.
Official response from NAD: Net weight of the M28 with feet is 33.2 lbs. (Emphasis added by me.)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
@Kal Rubinson, do you have a contact within NAD's product development department? Maybe you could introduce them to @amirm ...
My prior post was the result of making an inquiry with the PR representative who, in turn, obtained the info. I have had personal email contact with 1-2 people at NAD but I am not at liberty to divulge their addresses.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Official response from NAD: Net weight of the M28 with feet is 33.2 lbs.

That's a reasonable weight. And amazing for 7 high powered channels. Such is the magic of SMPS.

The Bryston 9B is 28kg (61.6lb) for the SST. The SST2 is seriously heavy at 34kg. I moved my boxed Pioneer A-91D the other day and proclaimed it was borderline too heavy as my face turned red schlepping it from one place to another. It's 29.9kg (66lbs). It's the heaviest integrated I own, a few kilos heavier than a monster Marantz PM-95. Most of the mid power (200+200@8R) power amps sit around the 55-60lb mark.

Around 25-27kg is where amplifiers go from manageable to ridiculous. Not sure why those few kilos make such a huge differnce.

Once speakers go over 30kg one really needs help moving them, in most cases.

Last edited:

Vasr

Major Contributor
Around 25-27kg is where amplifiers go from manageable to ridiculous. Not sure why those few kilos make such a huge differnce.

Once speakers go over 30kg one really needs help moving them, in most cases.

What wimps. 234lb/106kg 11-channels.

1600301707959.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What wimps. 234lb/106kg 11-channels.

Not even 10kg per channel?

I think those giant Krell monblocks Sound By Singer showed witting on dollies in an advertisement back in the 90s did it for me. I thought we'd reached peak insanity in the size/weight stakes. But they still got bigger.

rkwinkel

So i have the NAD m27 for the last 5 years. I have Dynaudio speakers. Is it worth upgrading to the M28 ? I can not imagine that the new M28 is as good as the M27 or less good than the m27. I love the m27, but the m28 should be step forward.
Any toughts on this ?

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
So i have the NAD m27 for the last 5 years. I have Dynaudio speakers. Is it worth upgrading to the M28 ? I can not imagine that the new M28 is as good as the M27 or less good than the m27. I love the m27, but the m28 should be step forward.
Any toughts on this ?
I believe that the M28 is superior to the M27 but I do not believe that it is worth changing. I choose not to use the word "upgrading."

Top Bottom