• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M28 Seven Channel Power Amplifier Review

Casey Leedom

Actually our 4,5,6,7 and 8 channel Purifi miltichannel based amps are coming out next month. Enclosures are our new premium in house made enclosures just like our PNC1200 and 1ET400A mini.

(sigh) If I'd only known. As I've mentioned, I did approach Nord Acoustics ... and @March Audio even offered to create a "One Off" implementation ... but I was looking for something which would be a sustainable product with support ... Which, as an engineer myself, I understand the business constraints ... Not something you can just toss off and hope everything works.

Casey

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You should send a multi-channel one in for review. :) Since I started to test AV products, we have a lot of home theater enthusiasts here wanting multichannel amplification.

There are a fair number of people on here with multi-way active speakers, too. It's nice to keep the box count down if possible and the cost is lower than multiple stereo amps. So, yes the more multi-channel amps tested, the better! Except, perhaps for poor Amir's back! :)

Daniel0

Last edited:

Daniel0

Actually our 4,5,6,7 and 8 channel Purifi miltichannel based amps are coming out next month.
Do you plan to offer high quality integrated opamps like a OPA1612 on them?
Thats why i would prefer Nord amps because they offer the choice of both integrated and discrete opamps on their amps.

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
There are a fair number of people on here with multi-way active speakers, too. It's nice to keep the box count down if possible and the cost is lower than multiple stereo amps. So, yes the more multi-channel amps tested, the better! Except, perhaps for poor Amir's back! :)

At least they’re the lighter class d! The one area that didn’t resonate with me in the review was the statement that the amp was close to 50lbs. The shipping weight is 46lbs. The cardboard internal stuff that protects the amp was surprisingly heavy as well. I bet this weighs less than my AVR it is replacing (which is less than 40 lbs). It is remarkable because I can install an entire 16 channel “separates” system in my tv stand without much issue. Sone of those multichannels weigh from 70 to over a hundred pounds. The tv stand couldn't have handled that.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
At least they’re the lighter class d! The one area that didn’t resonate with me in the review was the statement that the amp was close to 50lbs. The shipping weight is 46lbs. The cardboard internal stuff that protects the amp was surprisingly heavy as well. I bet this weighs less than my AVR it is replacing (which is less than 40 lbs).
Agreed. All the NAD specs are for the dimensions of the M28 chassis but the weight is specified as "Shipping Weight." I can say that when I replaced my old 65lb. Bryston 9B with the M28, it seemed about half the weight. Of course, that's merely a subjective assessment. :)

PeteL

Major Contributor
For US and Canadian purchasers, do the Apollon and Nord units have the requisite UL, FCC, and/or CSA certifications?
I can't talk for them, but I can tell you that the certification labs ecosystem is extremely burdensome for small players. It's really a barrier and makes it almost impossible to start a business, we are talking tens of thousands of dollars, varying with the type of products. it can easily reach 6 digits, If you count licensing for stuff as basic as a usb port (I know it doesn't apply here but it's an exemple, a usb vendor ID is 5000$). FCC will take you around 15k, and it never stops. Wireless stuff... forget it. All that before you can sell one single unit. I won't pretend I know their numbers, But smaller boutique manufacturers like that, if they sell 500 of a particular model of their amps, they are doing good, and they have to run on very tight margins to actually compensate for their smaller marketing ressources, and smaller volume. So again, can't speak for them, maybe they went trough this and if they did, Kudos for them, it's impressive. Or the alternative. They will obviously not come here and announce publicly that they are not certified. Personally it wouldn't prevent me to encourage them. One day they'll be big enough if we give em a chance and I'm sure their in house testing is rigorous enough.

Apollon Audio

Audio Company
Do you plan to offer high quality integrated opamps like a OPA1612 on them?
Thats why i would prefer Nord amps because they offer the choice of both integrated and discrete opamps on their amps.

The upcoming Purifi based multichannel
amps will all come with the OPA1612 op
amp by default. The socket is dip8 so op amp rolling is possible. The new multichannel amps also support discrete dip8 op amps like Sonic Imagery 994 etc... It will possible to order the amp with the Sonic Imagery 994 by default.

eduardw

Forum Donor
The upcoming Purifi based multichannel
amps will all come with the OPA1612 op
amp by default. The socket is dip8 so op amp rolling is possible. The new multichannel amps also support discrete dip8 op amps like Sonic Imagery 994 etc... It will possible to order the amp with the Sonic Imagery 994 by default.

Are you also using the new revision C boards of purifi

Apollon Audio

Audio Company

eduardw

Forum Donor
Hi
The purfii modules are update to revision C. Or that is what I read somewhere on this forum.

TimoJ

We use the latest revision of modules that we receive from Purifi.

As far as I know they don’t call the latest revision rev C. The first revision of the Purifi 1ET400A module was REV 0.90 and the second revision was REV 1.00.
Those are datasheet revisions.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Apollon Audio

Audio Company
Maybe you are mixing up with Nord's revision C and revision D of their custom buffers?

Matias I have checked the modules and the statement is correct. There is a letter C next to the 1ET400A. If I’m honest I was not aware of this as we haven’t received no notification from Purifi about a revision update. For instance Hypex always sends notification emails to us about new revisions.

eduardw

Forum Donor
There should be some explanation to be found about the changes on the purifi board. Someone share some information on the forum. But with a quick google search I could not find it.

Top Bottom