• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M28 Seven Channel Power Amplifier Review

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD have at least been responsive with me each time i've called. I can always get someone on the phone and things do happen after calling them. However, their product failed after 15 months. I was faced with two options: send to NAD in Ontario at my own expense, or drive it to the local repair facility designated by NAD. Shipped insurance would have cost hundreds for me out of pocket so far better to get it repaired locally. Now, 3 months later, the authorized repair facility has said it can't be repaired and NAD are insisting they get it back to their head office. I'm hopeful for a positive outcome but it's taking a very long time and it's taken me hours of my own time to move things along. The frustrating part is there are M28's in stock everywhere but they have so far refused to send me a replacement unit until they can do their own inspection. I'll let everyone know once things do finally get resolved, and hopefully that happens this year!
This sounds like a very unfortunate situation. If you send it to the local depot will they send it to the head service depot at no charge. That is how it was always done with all brand names I serviced in warranty which is a lot of brand names.

Sammy135

A quick update on this message. I decided to trade the Musical Fidelity 250.7 for the new Marantz AMP10. I couldn't stand the noise from the transformers of the Musical Fidelity. It wasn't quiet... more like a fridge let's say! It was also too heavy for me. I am very happy with the Marantz AMP 10. It's dead quiet, almost no hiss from the speaker tweeters as well. A lot of power. Weight is decent at 20Kg.

It's hard to make a comparison between the Musical Fidelity and the Marantz because I think they have different gains (the musical fidelity was louder, tried with RCA pre-outs), so the volume was different when I tested the two at the same time in my listening room. Level-matching wasn't easy, even if I have an SPL meter. So I'm not going to write anything about my listening impressions because the comparison between the two was not done in any scientific way.
Hows your amp10?

With dirac ART coming soon, I'm looking for an amp that can run kef in walls full range, for full dirac ART performance. M28 was on the list, but I don't think I can deal with the warranty issues as some others are having. Marantz amp 10 is their reference gear with 5 year warranty.

I've seen marantz only being able to pull 550 watts from the wall. Does it just have so many capacitors on board that it stores that power like a pseudo battery and provides the juice on demand when the speakers/movie call for it?

Jimrod

My warranty issue is still ongoing. I’ve been without my amp for 4 months now. NAD replaced the power supply and say that has resolved the problem. I’m not sure why their local service centre couldn’t do that 3+ months ago?! They’ve shipped it back to me and I’m awaiting its arrival. I asked them repeatedly to ensure the casework is not damaged from all the failed repair attempts and travelling the amp has done, but they didn’t seem to do that so I’ll see what shape it is in when the box arrives. It was in mint condition before it failed (I sent them the pictures to prove it) so I’m hoping it remains undamaged. After dragging out the repair over such a long period of time I’m not really willing to let them off the hook on the casework but I’ll let everyone know how things go.

Albert Dagger

Forum Donor
Hows your amp10?

With dirac ART coming soon, I'm looking for an amp that can run kef in walls full range, for full dirac ART performance. M28 was on the list, but I don't think I can deal with the warranty issues as some others are having. Marantz amp 10 is their reference gear with 5 year warranty.

I've seen marantz only being able to pull 550 watts from the wall. Does it just have so many capacitors on board that it stores that power like a pseudo battery and provides the juice on demand when the speakers/movie call for it?
Have a look at the Audioholics measurements of the AMP10. It seems it can run at 100% of the specified power with seven channels driven. I don’t know whether that‘s enough for you, but it works very well for me. I’m using it in combination with the AV10 as my main processor.

Overall, built quality seems excellent and no issues so far. If the AMP10 is within your budget, I think it’s a great product! I’m happy with it.

Jimrod

An update on my warranty issue with NAD and my original M28. After receiving the unit back from NAD following the power supply replacement it showed obvious cosmetic damage, but to give NAD credit at that point they quickly agreed to send me a brand new replacement with a full warranty. There's no escaping the fact my initial unit failed, or that NAD's factory-authorized service centre here in BC were clearly the cause of the major problems in getting it repaired promptly, but i do now have a new M28 so i'm satisfied with how things worked out in the end. Fingers crossed for better longevity out of this unit!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
An update on my warranty issue with NAD and my original M28. After receiving the unit back from NAD following the power supply replacement it showed obvious cosmetic damage, but to give NAD credit at that point they quickly agreed to send me a brand new replacement with a full warranty. There's no escaping the fact my initial unit failed, or that NAD's factory-authorized service centre here in BC were clearly the cause of the major problems in getting it repaired promptly, but i do now have a new M28 so i'm satisfied with how things worked out in the end. Fingers crossed for better longevity out of this unit!
NAD is usually a pleasurable and easy to work with company. I provided NAD warranty service for some years and sold the gear when I was in sales and all around it was a good company. Good to see your situation worked out for the better.

Top Bottom