• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M28 7 Channel Purifi Amplifier Teardown

PeteL

Major Contributor
While extracting a pretty penny in royalties from NAD who are forced to use their lunch money to pay for their caps. ;)
Maybe in the past they had some deal with nad that was Licence/Royalty based because of mention that Nad where making slightly modify ones, but this here looks like the modules themselves. Unless something is special with Nad, Hypex/Purifi had and have, as far as I know an OEM business model. They shouldn't get royalties, You buy the number of modules you need and they are yours to use. That said I won't pretend I know the exact deal behind, but generally that's how they operate. Maybe Purifi isn't exactly like Hypex neither.

Michael YYZ

Correct. Mine is rated for 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 1200W (written on the back panel).

I find a clearer picture on the internet, and it's rated 1200W, I would still like to know how they calculate this, but I never ran into a problem following these. So basically, a dedicated circuit, maybe, but it wouldn't be unsafe or problematic to add things on the same circuit that don't pull more than 240 extra Watts, unless you are running the same test as Amir for minutes.

gvl

Major Contributor
That 80% rule is for a continuous load. So for me when I charge my EV I can only pull 40A on my 50A 240VAC circuit. I think you can make the argument that this device doesn't present a continuous load.

That's the reason that most "1500W" hair dryers in the US actually only draw 1200W.

The 80% continuous rule is mainly there, afaik, to prevent nuicance breaker tripping, as if you pull 50A through a 50A breaker it will likely trip over time. Wires rated for 50A will let 50A through all day long.

digicidal

Major Contributor
@amirm Give it a go. Do you feel lucky? (I would totally do it, each amp has comprehensive protection. I wonder what two Purifis bridged would hit into 8/4R?)

I picture you in a devil cape and horns whispering this in @amirm's ear while standing on his shoulder. :p Maybe time to change your nick to "destroyer-john" instead? LOL

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 10.58.41.png

Koeitje

Major Contributor
It always saddens me to see low quality caps. You would expect a product like this would be built with durability in mind. When I see PC PSU's it is always 100-105C caps in there.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Lelon caps are good enough... to last the warranty period... nothing more...

TimoJ

@amirm what about those 6 big caps on top of the picture, are those also Lelon? Their negative pole marking looks different from Lelons. And the smaller ones on the PCB, who made those?

Daniel0

It seems like the worse performance of NADs M28 purifi amp comes from the use of cheap parts in many places?
Like others already mentioned I'm concerned about the low quality capacitors especially in the power supply. This seems like a strong case of planned obsolescence, not really fitting for this price range in my opinion.
And the fact that it's a custom single PCB power supply purely for this amp makes repairs hard and expensive. If NAD decides to discontinue the PSU from their repair service this amp is probably scrap.
The choice of a custom PSU is probably another cost saving decision, since Hypex offers many PSUs for various use cases.

Maybe someone can explain what the second opamp "Microchip MCP6002" exactly does in this design? The LM49720 seems like a pretty high quality part but the MCP6002 seems like super lowcost as my search purely based on the pricing of the two suggests.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Based on this amplifier's design, you could just for fun (and if you were brave) use the already opposite polarity channels, drive them with a common signal (Y splitter)
We did this with the M22.

YSC

Major Contributor
It always saddens me to see low quality caps. You would expect a product like this would be built with durability in mind. When I see PC PSU's it is always 100-105C caps in there.
Exactly, and even a top end pc don’t cost that much

audioBliss

I expected this to blow the nCore stuff out of the water frankly. Sticking with nc502mp/252mp for surround duties.

Tks

Major Contributor
It's interesting they decided to use Lelon brand low cost capacitors in a $5000 amplifier instead of spending a few more $ and get Nichicon or some other respected Japanese brand of capacitors. Especially considering it's a switchmode power supply with high ripple current where the capacitors get quite a workout.

Whats up with luxury companies being unable to even put at least top tier parts in their devices? If it's anything I would expect in the very least, it's that they do that.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Exactly, and even a top end pc don’t cost that much
Well, a 1600W Corsair PSU is like €500-600. But you do get quality:

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/ax1600i-psu said:
With higher end components like GaN transistors and 100% 105C rated Japanese capacitors, as well as the FDB fan, you'll be able to rely on the AX1600i for your builds for years to come. And our 10 year warranty gives you peace of mind.

10 year warranty is some good stuff.

bigguyca

Note: I'm just some engineer who now makes software that rewired his whole 1925 house a few years ago. So, take this with a big ole grain of salt since I am not an electrician or NEC expert.

The NEC has an '80%' rule, though I don't know how strict it is, or if it would even apply here.
https://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/80-rule-67638/

I think the general idea is that you can use up to 80% of the circuit/breaker in practice e.g. 15 amp breaker/circuit can use 1,440 watts (15*120*0.8).

In your 5 channels load test in the original review you were drawing around 1,455 watts (262*5/0.9, assuming 90% efficiency)!

The purpose of the 80% rule seems to be for long term continuous loads, like hours. So it's unlikely to cause an issue here,you can likely get more out of this unit than that in practice. It does make me think that a dedicated circuit would be a good idea.

In this context a continuous load is a load for three hours or more. AV equipment is unlikely to violate continuous load limits. Items such as hair dryers and toasters are also unlikely to violate continuous load limits.

Top Bottom