• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier Review

tkr

Hard to say what has happened, the packaging is quite tight and possibly the power supply components can heat up faster that expected on some OEM casing/design. Presumably the temperature sensors are somewhere else on the board, near transistors and cannot of course measure and counteract overheating of other components.
My first M10 failed with a power supply problem, too. After updating its firmware first the display would not show any picture, with only the background lighting coming alive. The unit could still be controlled via app just fine. About two days later it made a bang and presumably the power supply failed, as the unit could not be powered up again. The system got replaced by my dealer with a new one right away as "waiting for it to be repaired would take too long". I have read of at least one more similar problem on german http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-33-7621-178.html#8912. If these problems are caused by a flaw in the design this might helpt to explain NAD coming up with a V2 rather shortly compared to their usual product lifecycle.
[EDIT: link changed to directly go to the correct post on the german forum]

Last edited:

Prolix

Forum Donor
Does a product exist that's basically a M10 V2 (2.1, room correction, audio streaming, Dolby processing) with a couple more HDMI inputs? Something like a Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 that can process Dolby LFE content?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does a product exist that's basically a M10 V2 (2.1, room correction, audio streaming, Dolby processing) with a couple more HDMI inputs? Something like a Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 that can process Dolby LFE content?
I can’t think of any. You are are basically into receiver territory. Denon X3600/3700, but it wouldn’t have Dirac or Room Perfect. Bummer part about going receiver is you loose the small form factor.

Prolix

Forum Donor
I can’t think of any. You are are basically into receiver territory. Denon X3600/3700, but it wouldn’t have Dirac or Room Perfect. Bummer part about going receiver is you loose the small form factor.
Thanks! Alas. Just seems a waste and kind of annoying to buy a huge box with a bunch of amps I'll never use.

keith_h

I contacted Lenbrook to see which of the new V2 feature that weren't hardware specific might be seen in the now V1 as software updates, specifically the volume gain and sub output level. I was advised that its all new hardware so none of those updates would be making there way into the original product. For the record.

I find that somewhat surprising, but there it is.

pogo

Major Contributor
Add this device to the M10 V2 and you are done:
Link

srslee

hello, new user here! I'm close to ordering the M10 V2 which would be paired with the McIntosh MC462, and hooked up to the TV. I was considering going with a McIntosh integrated with a Bluesound Node/SHD Studio, but the M10 V2 has all the features I want (DIRAC Live, BluOS, HDMI) so am leaning towards this pairing. I had a couple of questions I was hoping M10 owners or anyone else could chime in on (thanks in advance):
  • How does Dolby processing work if I'm running 2 channels only? It states in the user manual to 'Ensure that the audio setting/format of ARC/eARC-connected devices to M10 V2 is set to PCM only.' So if I set the TV to PCM & have something like Netflix on 5.1, would the M10 automatically decode Dolby soundtracks? Would I lose LFE in such a case?
  • Does the M10 V2 use the same DAC as the M33? It says it uses ESS Sabre DAC, but can't seem to find definitive information if it's the same ES9028PRO that's in the M33. As I'm planning to use it with the MC462, I have no need for the beefier amplification that's on the M33, but curious if I'm leaving something on the table DAC-wise by going with the M10 V2? Or is the DAC side of things a 'solved issue' regardless if it's the same exact DAC or not?

toobs

I absolutely hate my M10. It sounds good, but the stability is horrendous. I end up having to reboot the damn thing every third time I try to use it. ARC functionality is spotty. They put eARC in it, but then never wrote the code to support surround sound with other Bluos devices. Sometimes while using Tidal it goes into an infinite loop of reboot. Google assistant functionality is unusable Chromecast support is non-existent. Worst money I ever spent.

pogo

Major Contributor
but then never wrote the code to support surround sound with other Bluos devices
You should find the info on the Bluesound homepage. In addition, you have also paid for the good support;)

toobs

You should find the info on the Bluesound homepage. In addition, you have also paid for the good support;)
They came out with a v2 that has surround sound support. They completely abandoned v1 and I bought it specifically because it had eARC and they said they were working on adding surround sound for the M10. There is no point of having eARC without surround sound support! Really bad experience for me with this product.

pogo

Major Contributor
they said they were working on adding surround sound for the M10.
I also once read this information in a technical journal. I hope, that this will also be added for the M33;)

Last edited:

srslee

I use the M10 via HDMI/ARC and it has worked perfectly for me. Volume control works fine, the only issue is when you increase/decrease the volume, it can go up/down in increments of more than one And a little laggy. But it does work fine but I can see it be a bit of an irritant to some. This is used in a living room and works well here for Apple TV 4K/dish network/Roon.
Are you able to power on/off the M10 when you power on/off the TV? I'm trying to get CEC to work properly with the LG C1, and while the LG remote can control the volume on the M10 just fine, it just will not power on or down along with the TV.

toobs

Turning on is pretty spotty...works about half the time. I have to turn it on with my phone a quarter of the time. The other quarter of the time it needs a manual turn off of the switch in back or a full pull the plug reboot. It never turns off with the tv, only times out after a certain length of time with no signal.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: ENG

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Matias
I am not that technical. Is the M10 V2 worse or the same as M10 V1?
Looking at the power amplifier alone with the single metric everyone loves, SINAD at 5W, it went down from 86 on V1 to 74 on V2, while power is more or less the same.

Reactions: ENG

pogo

Major Contributor
These are the differences of the amplifier stage adjustments, driven also by customer requests:

V2:
Its updated gain algorithms allow 6dB higher output levels with inefficient speakers. The subwoofer outputs also have higher gain, allowing for a wider range of subwoofer-main speaker combinations.
Input sensitivity (for 100 W in 8 ohms)
Line In: 456 mV
Digital In: -13.23 %FS

V1:
Input sensitivity (for 100 W in 8 ohms)
Line In: 1.0 V
Digital In: -6.2 %FS

Does anyone else have an off center display screen when connected to a TV?
09D11ED1-477F-46AE-8FF8-E04BEE2259CF.jpeg

iLoveCats

I think it happens when you get a really long song name and then it stays that way until you back completely out of it

Top Bottom