• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In addition the digital inputs had issues.
Did they ever. When I first powered on the M10 it could not lock on Coax input and generated a ton of distortion and noise (SINAD in 50 range). I almost gave up on it until it said it had a firmware update. I let it do that and it fixed that. Amazing that they let out a device like this with a simple thing like Coax input not working.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Did they ever. When I first powered on the M10 it could not lock on Coax input and generated a ton of distortion and noise (SINAD in 50 range). I almost gave up on it until it said it had a firmware update. I let it do that and it fixed that. Amazing that they let out a device like this with a simple thing like Coax input not working.

At the time I reviewed it, neither SPDIF input worked properly, neither coax nor optical. I haven't tried using them since the last firmware update, but you've stimulated my curiosity.

As others pointed out, what you're buying here is transparent-but-not-SOTA performance, coupled with streaming and Dirac integration. If the latter two aren't a priority, it's not the unit for you. If they are, the integration and UI for PC and phone are excellent.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve thought this unit is neat but at close to $3000, vastly overpriced. The test bench performance falls short of what I would expect at that price point too.

Soundstage

Since we are comparing the Nad M10 with the miniDSP SHD, isn’t it fair to mention that the Nad can run Dirac Live Bass Management but all MiniDSP devices can’t?
Correct me if I am wrong :)

iLoveCats

I've been waiting for this review for a long time. I've thoroughly enjoyed my M10 for over a year. Its in my living room on my main viewing TV for sound and its driving some Magnepan MMG's. I listen to Tidal every day and occasionally records. I've been dreading that its going to be a terrible measuring device like the NAD AVR's but it isn't. I almost never use the touch screen. I run it from my phone for Tidal. I have the cable TV remote programmed to it for TV volume. It turns on with the TV and turns itself off with no input. I can also do all of this from a MacBook Air that always in the living room and frequently in use. I love this little box. Also it was $2500 before the China trading wars started.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Since we are comparing the Nad M10 with the miniDSP SHD, isn’t it fair to mention that the Nad can run Dirac Live Bass Management but all MiniDSP devices can’t?

You are not wrong.

edit: the current version allows two separate subs with separate EQ.

Attachments

• dirac woofer.png
    dirac woofer.png
    185.9 KB · Views: 338

samysound

That is a good point, however, not totally accurate. Although NAD has advertised that the M10 is Dirac bass control compatible, the feature has not actually been implemented/activated and there is not published timeline for this to happen.

MiniDSP has been slient on the dirac bass control issue all together so we dont know if bass control could be possible via update or not at all...

Brian6751

The M10 isn't for people who are fine using multiple separate devices. Its intended for someone looking for a truly just add speakers product that sounds great and the M10 fits that very well.

Dirac is one of the main selling points and is part of the reason it sounds so good. Judging any product that has Dirac without it does not give an accurate portrayal of the products performance.

Brian6751

As others pointed out, what you're buying here is transparent-but-not-SOTA performance, coupled with streaming and Dirac integration. If the latter two aren't a priority, it's not the unit for you. If they are, the integration and UI for PC and phone are excellent.[/QUO

All that in one box. The HDMI with eARC is nice as well.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And this is what I am talking about -- the notion that in in 2020 a heavy box with a lot a capacitors should mean something when we have better technology that just needs to be refined, but hasn't been for the consumer market due to lack of understanding and demand.

In other words, just release inferior performing, over-priced products and try to justify that somehow... :facepalm:

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A Bluesound Node +DAC w/volume control + NC252MP would work well and perform better.

In fact, Node(or rasberry pi)+Soncoz SGD1 + any Ncore based amp is an amazing value streamer/preamp/amp setup.
But no dirac or dsp?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Its not plastic. Anodized aluminum with glass top.

My mistake, I was going on @amirm 's description of the case being plastic. The photos clearly show it's a $3000 aluminium case. ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

So the product was essentially faulty out of the box. Unbelievable.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Short version: If there is anything good here, it is coming from third party software/modules. Anything that was NAD's responsibility to deliver is buggy/mediocre. Have I got this right?

That seems to define NAD these days.

Seriously, this box looks like something Sonos (or for that matter Apple or even Microsoft) can hack together doing system integration if they ever wanted to do a box like this. They might even do better QC. Not NAD with its history and legacy.

What is left of NAD other than a branding, marketing machine with a small, likely underfunded group of system integrators? I find it hard to believe any of the old NAD audio engineers are around to make this.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
EDIT: I just realized it’s Arcam not Yamaha that does Dirac. However, you could buy a mini dsp, a Hypex amp, a lifetime Roon subscription, any streaming device (raspi, CCA, ect), a Topping D30, and still wouldn’t be spending half the money and have better performance.
Yes you could but that defeats the purpose of this design. This is for people who want it all in one single box & a small box at that.

The performance is mediocre and the price is high compared to separates but in reality where are the one box competitors priced at?
Anyway this box is headed in the right direction but it sure could use some extra engineering efforts AND a drop in price to something like $1500-2K.

PeteL

Major Contributor
any Ncore based amp is an amazing value streamer/preamp/amp setup.
You know what, I have Ncore 500 amps that I built, and I see comments like this pop up often. The Ncore based modules are amazing don't get me wrong, but they are not cheap! When I count everything, even without my time messing around, I was thinking for fun that there would be no way in small volume a small manufacturer could reach a 2000K mark, even with a quite simple and minimal design around the module. Basically, what I'm saying, the price we see from NAD, ATI, etc. Those amps are totally worth that. Even to the point that I'm not sure the hassle of DIY is worth it, you do it to learn or to do something special with it, not to save money. Now we see here one that falls a bit short in term of performance, it's unfortunate, and yes you want something that perform if you muster those 3k$, but I'll always vouch for manufacturer, like NAD that don't sell overly boutique luxury products, but still don't go and compete with Topping or SMSL because it's a lost fight in advance. We just can't expect that from a Canadian based manufacturer, Nad have been around for ever. They wouldn't be still there if they where trying to sell this kind of thing for 1k to please the "best sinad for the dollar" crowd. Think about that. A Dirac License for PC is 450$. Look at what you get here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom