• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier Review

Dreamps

Are you able to power on/off the M10 when you power on/off the TV? I'm trying to get CEC to work properly with the LG C1, and while the LG remote can control the volume on the M10 just fine, it just will not power on or down along with the TV.
I just posted in the m33 thread, I have the same issue with the m33 I am demoing. it will NOT turn on or off with the lg remote. the evo 150 does and so does the marantz model 40n. NAD doesn't know how to use arc/earc correctly imo.

So I just recently moved and don’t have Wi-Fi setup yet but when I try to add the m10 player to a public Wi-Fi or a hotspot in the BluOS app it doesn’t broadcast its own network name in Wi-Fi. Anyone know how to get this to work?

So I just recently moved and don’t have Wi-Fi setup yet but when I try to add the m10 player to a public Wi-Fi or a hotspot in the BluOS app it doesn’t broadcast its own network name in Wi-Fi. Anyone know how to get this to work?
Edit: so my Wi-Fi is working but the m10 is still not broadcasting an ssid network and I can’t connect it to Wi-Fi any help is appreciated

wjvs1983

I purchased a NAD M10 V2 earlier this week at a store with a 60 day return policy to replace my c390dd that has driven my Audio Physic Tempo 25's for the past 10 years, but has required 3 repairs the past 3 years and just died again 1 day after the last repair.

Although not 100% sold on the reliability of the brand, earlier I eliminated the Marantz 40n and Lyngdorf 1120 as I really like the NAD sound compared to those.

This time a shoot out between the M10, c399 and c658/298 combo convinced me to bring the M10 home to my own system. Yes, the latter two did sound better (not a blind test so could be biased) to me, but not good enough to go for a much less attractive form factor and higher cost of 2 units and the c399 is expected to be not available for months. At home the M10 sounds good. Different than the c399dd. A bit warmer, which is not a bad thing. With complex parts that are bassy it seems to be a bit less well-defined. Setting up Dirac took a bit of effort but was quite easy to figure out. It does take away some of the room resonation, making it less tiresome to listen to.

Although initially happy with the results, really annoying is that my M10 disappears from the list of players with no way to connect it again other than unplugging the thing and rebooting. According to NAD support it is a problem with my network equipment. If I can't get it to become reliable it is definitely going back. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Right next to it is my old Bluesound Node 2 that hasn't shown these issues over the past 4 years, so I'd be surprised if my network is the issue.

What I also don't like about the device is the flimsy remote. It feels like a toy and is too limited. Why no source select buttons? It has numerical buttons that seem to have zero use. I guess it is better than no remote on the original.

Last edited:

MarkS

Major Contributor
My recently acquired Lyngdorf 1120 also disappears from the network every few days, as did the Audio Engine B-Fi that it replaced. So this might indeed be a network issue.

I have been unable to find any reliable diagostics for this problem.

keith_h

wjvs1983

I just made some adjustments to my WiFi router and that does seem to have done the trick. No disconnects all day. Fingers crossed it will stay this way. I will eventually go for wired, but as we are moving I am planning to do this properly and future proved in the next house.

Overall I find the M10 v2 a great device with more than good enough sound quality for me, even though I realise there is always a compromise with smaller devices. Fingers crossed this NAD device proves to be more reliable than the one that came before.

There are a couple of things I don’t like about it or could be better:
- The remote is really too limited/flimsy
- When playing an external source the VU meters are just an annoyance/distraction. It doesn’t look good. Different GUI effects would have been welcome. Or a more granular option to switch off the screen when using the device. There is an optional switch it off after 60 secs of no touch screen activity. However, this should have had other options. E.g. turn off after any activity, or for make it configurable per source. I like to see what is playing on BluOS but not the VU meters.
- at this price point I also feel they should have used oled instead of lcd for trial blacks.
- there definitely is more audible noise at higher volumes compared to my old c390dd.
- HDMI arc doesn’t seem to be working reliably. However this may also be caused by my 10 year old Panasonic 55vt30.
- some more technical details on screen would be nice. Eg my c390dd would tell me the sampling rate, bit depth, etc. I guess the average target audience is not interested but a enthusiast display menu option would have been welcome. Then again this allows for a proper blind test to see who can hear the difference

To be continued..

wjvs1983

What adjustments did you make?
Per NADs advice I changed security to auto aes & tkip. Furthermore, I stopped using 5ghz and switched to 2.4ghz which seems to result into better range.

However, it looks I cheered just too soon. The freaking thing disappeared from the list again after it went into standby and will not appear again even after waking it up on the touch screen.

I am getting fed up by this as my Node 2 seems to maintain its connection without issues just fine for the past 4 years and it is only 3 feet away from the M10.

Even if it works fine wired it is going back as if this is an early sign of reliability I rather have this 3000 euro costing turd collapse into someone else’s hands.

pogo

Major Contributor
I like to see what is playing on BluOS but not the VU meters.
some more technical details on screen would be nice. Eg my c390dd would tell me the sampling rate, bit depth, etc.
Excerpt from the manual:
Front display layout and contents can be configured by selecting the following options:
• Album Only, Album and Text, Album, Text and VU, Text Only
• Source (Simple), Source (Detailed)
• Analog VU meter, Digital VU.
A combination of above options is available depending upon the Source selected.

pogo

Major Contributor
there definitely is more audible noise at higher volumes compared to my old c390dd.
This is probably the reason why the V2 has more noise than its predecessor:
Link

wjvs1983

Excerpt from the manual:
Front display layout and contents can be configured by selecting the following options:
• Album Only, Album and Text, Album, Text and VU, Text Only
• Source (Simple), Source (Detailed)
• Analog VU meter, Digital VU.
A combination of above options is available depending upon the Source selected.
Thanks for sharing. I had found the option to hide unused source, but not this. Although it is good to have some more options, to be honest I think it is still far from great.

“Detailed view” only shows you you that my music is coming from my “library”. Not the file time, bit rate, sampling rate, bit depth etc. Also I would have liked to have seen the display off / temporary option to be configurable by source. When watching movies with audio through this device I don’t need it to light up the room. When playing music I like to see the art and details of what is currently playing.

Digital VU meters are a nice touch to have as an option but just like the fake analogue ones it feels rather gimmicky. I don’t need VU meters, doesn’t give me any information I need other than whether there is a signal coming through when debugging my setup in first week of ownership.

wjvs1983

I went wired, problem not solved. Same issue appears, M10 disappears from the app and doesn’t respond to pings. All other devices including a Bluesound Node 2 work just fine.

Going to try reinstalling firmware as that is the only thing I had not tried yet as that is the only thing I had not done yet. Otherwise it is going back which is a shame because otherwise it would have suited my needs perfectly.

iLoveCats

I went wired, problem not solved. Same issue appears, M10 disappears from the app and doesn’t respond to pings. All other devices including a Bluesound Node 2 work just fine.

Going to try reinstalling firmware as that is the only thing I had not tried yet as that is the only thing I had not done yet. Otherwise it is going back which is a shame because otherwise it would have suited my needs perfectly.

I've been running mine for years trouble free but I might have done something with a static IP.

wjvs1983

I've been running mine for years trouble free but I might have done something with a static IP.

Thanks for the recommendation. I had indeed not tried this yet. I just reserved an IP address both for the ethernet and the wifi network MAC address. It did seem to run longer without disappearing, so I was almost celebrating..

.. and then it disappeared again. F#$%!

wjvs1983

With a heavy heart I have just returned the device to the dealer for a full refund. Kudos for Hifiklubben and their excellent service.

Unfortunately I couldn’t get the connection issues resolved. Tried everything, didn’t work. My Bluesound node 2 has never shown any of these issues which really convinced me it was the device, not the network. I considered asking for a new copy in case it was just this device, however I also want to use the opportunity to audition alternatives.

On my list are:
- arcam sa30 (new on my radar)
- Naim Uniti atom (is it as bad as the review here implies and can it drive my tempo 25s?)
- linn majik dsm 4
- Lyngdorf tdai 2710 (didn’t like the sound of 1120 though and it’s an oldie)
- NAD c658/c298 (auditioned and sounded good to my ears but the review here scares me). Potentially combine with other pre amp.
- Hegel h190 is it as meh as the h95?

Any other recommended listens would be very welcome.

iLoveCats

Aside from my M10, all my other systems: bedroom, computer and garage are Topping DAC's, Topping/Aiyima amps and Chromecast Audio's. More than happy with them. If you don't like the Topping remote, you can get a sweet fancy metal one on AliExpress. I might be done with all in ones if my M10 dies.

wjvs1983

The Topping DAC with volume control looks indeed to be an interesting device. However I am looking to run both audio of my tv and streamer on it. As the devices seem very straight forward I am a bit worried it doesn’t have options to align audio with the visuals. Happy to be convinced otherwise.

iLoveCats

The Topping DAC with volume control looks indeed to be an interesting device. However I am looking to run both audio of my tv and streamer on it. As the devices seem very straight forward I am a bit worried it doesn’t have options to align audio with the visuals.
There is no way to align audio with the visuals on any of my Topping stuff. Funny the only device I have that problem with is the TV with the M10 on it. I believe its related to the bluray player as the audio is significantly off with the bluray, but is right on with the cable TV.

Top Bottom