• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier Lab Report...

Buschi

Hi guys.
I am new to this forum. I was not aware of this forum before and there is a lot of very interestung discussion and measurements to see. I am really happy that I got here. :)
So I have one question about the M10 and Dirac.
At the moment I use a Stereo System including Sub (SVS SB2000Pro) on a Powernode 2i. But I am not happy with the Sub performance as the timing is bad (bass comes too late).
Is the timing with the M10 adjusted also between loudspeaker and sub with using Dirac or is it only adapted with the sub and the speaker itself?
When I have a look on the screenshots in the posts it seems to me that the sub frequency response/group delay is only adjusted within the sub. But in my case the timing between sub and loudspeakers is the problem. :)
Thanks for your response!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hi guys.
I am new to this forum. I was not aware of this forum before and there is a lot of very interestung discussion and measurements to see. I am really happy that I got here. :)
So I have one question about the M10 and Dirac.
At the moment I use a Stereo System including Sub (SVS SB2000Pro) on a Powernode 2i. But I am not happy with the Sub performance as the timing is bad (bass comes too late).
Is the timing with the M10 adjusted also between loudspeaker and sub with using Dirac or is it only adapted with the sub and the speaker itself?
When I have a look on the screenshots in the posts it seems to me that the sub frequency response/group delay is only adjusted within the sub. But in my case the timing between sub and loudspeakers is the problem. :)
Thanks for your response!

Dirac will correct any time alignment issues with the subs. With Dirac off, set any phase to zero. With test tones, roughly match the upper speakers' and subwoofer volumes. If you can't turn off the low pass in the sub, set it to its max frequency. Use the crossover setting in the M10 to set the frequency you want (in my case, with stereo subs, it's 110Hz). Now you're ready to do the Dirac measurement. Once Dirac is on, the time alignment is taken care of. Don't do any fooling with the sub controls after that or you have to do the whole Dirac measurement thing again.

Now, to be clear, if your description is more of a "it sounds to my ear like the bass is a bit laggy," it's unlikely to be a timing issue with the speakers, but how they're interacting in the room. I'd definitely experiment with sub placement and volume and get that right first.

Buschi

Dirac will correct any time alignment issues with the subs. With Dirac off, set any phase to zero. With test tones, roughly match the upper speakers' and subwoofer volumes. If you can't turn off the low pass in the sub, set it to its max frequency. Use the crossover setting in the M10 to set the frequency you want (in my case, with stereo subs, it's 110Hz). Now you're ready to do the Dirac measurement. Once Dirac is on, the time alignment is taken care of. Don't do any fooling with the sub controls after that or you have to do the whole Dirac measurement thing again.

Now, to be clear, if your description is more of a "it sounds to my ear like the bass is a bit laggy," it's unlikely to be a timing issue with the speakers, but how they're interacting in the room. I'd definitely experiment with sub placement and volume and get that right first.
Nice, thanks for the detailed answer!
I will also check Sub placement and the other stuff.
Nevertheless it is nice to have a correction system like Dirac which seems like a pretty advanced tool.
So M10 should be a good chooice for me. :)

Top Bottom