• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier Lab Report...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks! Did you test the HDMI input, and if so, did that have the same issues as the spdif? Basically I'm using this mostly for streaming, which it sounds like works great, but also to output sound from a TV, which I could connect via HDMI or spdif.

Unfortunately, the AP I use does not have an HDMI output, so no objective data. In using the M10 briefly with my TV, I heard nothing unexpected.

I should mention that, although I didn't have Dirac Bass Management at the time of the review, the standard version worked superbly with the dual subwoofers of my lab system in conjunction with the built-in electronic crossover of the M10.

ankurg

Unfortunately, the AP I use does not have an HDMI output, so no objective data. In using the M10 briefly with my TV, I heard nothing unexpected.

I should mention that, although I didn't have Dirac Bass Management at the time of the review, the standard version worked superbly with the dual subwoofers of my lab system in conjunction with the built-in electronic crossover of the M10.
Thanks. Good to know it at least sounded ok. For the HDMI I'm not so concerned how it measures as it is just the TV sound, I just want to make sure it doesn't tick or dropout from losing lock.

iLoveCats

Thanks. Good to know it at least sounded ok. For the HDMI I'm not so concerned how it measures as it is just the TV sound, I just want to make sure it doesn't tick or dropout from losing lock.
I've had mine on my TV via HDMI for a year now. The only thing that happens occasionally is the CEC for the volume control via HDMI stops working. Turn the TV off and back on, then it works again. Probably an issue with the TV.

WR1

When connecting the subwoofer out of m10 with the subwoofer LFE of the subwoofer, is there anyone who experiences too low volume of the subwoofer?

When connecting with other amplifiers, the volume lever on the subwoofer points to the center, but the volume is very large.

When connecting with m10, the volume lever should be raised to the max to be similar to the main speaker.

The sub-woofer output level seems to be low.

Is there anyone who has a similar phenomenon as me?
I have had this issue too. I use pre-outs for subwoofer output. I also had this problem with powernode 2i and I just assumed that all bluOS devices have very low sub output. But now that I've read some forums, it seems like this is an issue.

vidya46

Forum Donor
Hello,
Bought a M10..and been following this thread with lots of interest...thanks to ilovecats for the fix to bass issues...I have svs sub Set at 2o clock..will try suggestions ..currently my speakers are set at -8.5db..and have to crank up the volume close for normal listening...
I do love the all in solution...

what kind of speakers Yall use ?
Want to know if I can upgrade my speakers to say 1.5k?
Ps:Using a elac ub52 bookshelf ..around 600$..
Thanks
Kal

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hello,
Bought a M10..and been following this thread with lots of interest...thanks to ilovecats for the fix to bass issues...I have svs sub Set at 2o clock..will try suggestions ..currently my speakers are set at -8.5db..and have to crank up the volume close for normal listening...
I do love the all in solution...

what kind of speakers Yall use ?
Want to know if I can upgrade my speakers to say 1.5k?
Ps:Using a elac ub52 bookshelf ..around 600$..
Thanks
Kal

I thought the recommended practice would be to have the subs cranked all the way up and let Dirac deal with the bass level?

vidya46

Forum Donor
Followed @iLoveCats ..set the speakers to -3db to -4db and increased master volume so that the speakers and sub shows green when playing the respective sounds..Now I have some headroom to increase the volume..normal listening is at -23DB (min is -70db..so at 2oclock)..
My sub is still at 2'oclock gain on its back.

My filter is "set target"..have to try what "impulse control " filter does
Cheers

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Followed @iLoveCats ..set the speakers to -3db to -4db and increased master volume so that the speakers and sub shows green when playing the respective sounds..Now I have some headroom to increase the volume..normal listening is at -23DB (min is -70db..so at 2oclock)..
My sub is still at 2'oclock gain on its back.

My filter is "set target"..have to try what "impulse control " filter does
Cheers

Okay...but why?

Was Dirac not sorting out the bass correctly all by itself with the sub levels set for 0 db?

vidya46

Forum Donor
Okay...but why?

Was Dirac not sorting out the bass correctly all by itself with the sub levels set for 0 db?

Yes at 0db for the Sub, it was too low, even when my sub gain(on the back of sub unit is at 2ish o'clock.
So I dropped the main speaker gains by 3db ,increased the Master so all the 3 play at green level..

Pardon the non tech terms !
:)

samysound

Okay...but why?

I had similar problems with the M10 and subwoofers. It would be good if NAD added user adjustable gain settings for the subwoofer output in blueOS.

panther

Is the pre out ok to use with headphone amps. I have a JDS Labs ELAmp II. Another site someone had said the pre out wasn’t enabled for such use which I find surprising. Also would I have issues with Dirac measurements if my sub (ML Dynamo 800x and ML 35xti) has anthem measurements?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Is the pre out ok to use with headphone amps. I have a JDS Labs ELAmp II,. Another site someone had said the pre out wasn’t enabled for such use which I find surprising. Also would I have issues with Dirac measurements if my sub (ML Dynamo 800x and ML 35xti) has anthem measurements?

How would the preamp out know what it's hooked up to?

If it outputs a standard 2V, that should be fine to use with a headphone amp.

panther

How would the preamp out know what it's hooked up to?

If it outputs a standard 2V, that should be fine to use with a headphone amp.
That was essentially my thought. But I couldn’t find anything on the nad site about it or if it’s variable or fixed.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That was essentially my thought. But I couldn’t find anything on the nad site about it or if it’s variable or fixed.

I would assume it's variable by default.

FWIW, my Devialet Expert doesn't have a headphone jack -- I power headphones directly from the preouts.

Last edited:

KenM10759

Is the pre out ok to use with headphone amps. I have a JDS Labs ELAmp II. Another site someone had said the pre out wasn’t enabled for such use which I find surprising. Also would I have issues with Dirac measurements if my sub (ML Dynamo 800x and ML 35xti) has anthem measurements?

Not easily, because it doesn't stop sending the amplified signal to your speakers.

You can use it if you're willing to manually disconnect your speakers every time you want to use it for that.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Not easily, because it doesn't stop sending the amplified signal to your speakers.

You can use it if you're willing to manually disconnect your speakers every time you want to use it for that.

It can't mute the speakers, but keep the pre-out on?

On my Devialet Expert, I can turn the pre-out on/off and mute the speakers on/off independently.

I use a hard toggle A/B RCA switch to flip between dual subs and headphones.

panther

Good catch thanks.

Top Bottom