• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier Lab Report...

Instar

When connecting the subwoofer out of m10 with the subwoofer LFE of the subwoofer, is there anyone who experiences too low volume of the subwoofer?

When connecting with other amplifiers, the volume lever on the subwoofer points to the center, but the volume is very large.

When connecting with m10, the volume lever should be raised to the max to be similar to the main speaker.

The sub-woofer output level seems to be low.

Is there anyone who has a similar phenomenon as me?

iLoveCats

You can always lower the left and right speaker output in Dirac by 3dB less than the subwoofer. Or on your subwoofer graph in Dirac just move the target response curve up 3dB. Or lower the target response curve of the L/R speakers by 3dB. I actually recommend the last option. The best sound I've achieved with the M10 is lowering the target curve so the missing frequencies are boosted as little as possible.

Instar

You can always lower the left and right speaker output in Dirac by 3dB less than the subwoofer. Or on your subwoofer graph in Dirac just move the target response curve up 3dB. Or lower the target response curve of the L/R speakers by 3dB. I actually recommend the last option. The best sound I've achieved with the M10 is lowering the target curve so the missing frequencies are boosted as little as possible.

I currently use two svs sb-1000 models connected to subwoofer outputs 1 and 2 of m10.

For now, I am using the volume lever of the subwoofer with maximum rotation.

Before using Dirac live, frequency was measured and tested using Umik-1 and Room Eq Wizard, and the volume level difference between the time the volume lever rotates to its maximum and the time set in the middle is -12 dB.

It was suspected that the failure occurred because the volume lever was about +3 db larger than the main speaker

When setting the volume lever to center, the output was suspected to have failed because the difference between the subwoofer volume level of the other amplifier and the m10 was greater than -10db.

Is it normal in this respect?

Is the subwoofer output of m10 lower than the free amplifier of the main speaker?

iLoveCats

There's no listed voltage on the M10 sub out. It may be lower than other amplifiers, but Dirac gives you the tools to match anythings volume levels up. Put the SVS gain/level knob in the middle and go into Dirac adjust the Left, Right, and Sub outputs to the same dB level measured from your listening position. Then if you want more bass turn your subs gain knob up a click or two. I have an SVS SB-12NSB hooked to my M10.

Instar

There's no listed voltage on the M10 sub out. It may be lower than other amplifiers, but Dirac gives you the tools to match anythings volume levels up. Put the SVS gain/level knob in the middle and go into Dirac adjust the Left, Right, and Sub outputs to the same dB level measured from your listening position. Then if you want more bass turn your subs gain knob up a click or two. I have an SVS SB-12NSB hooked to my M10.

1.JPG

Are you talking about this image?

Isn't that part the same volume level before proceeding with the calibration?

Are you actually adjusting the volume level of the subwoofer over there?

Or do you mean I should boost the decibel of the low frequency during the calibration phase?

iLoveCats

Yes that screen. Put your gain knobs on the subs to the middle and then level the measured decibels out in this screen. The bars will not be even. If you feel like you don't have enough bass after, you can just turn the knob up on the SVS's a couple clicks.

Instar

Yes that screen. Put your gain knobs on the subs to the middle and then level the measured decibels out in this screen. The bars will not be even. If you feel like you don't have enough bass after, you can just turn the knob up on the SVS's a couple clicks.

Do you happen to know about Dirac Base Control?
Since the current m10 does not have a high-pass function on the main speaker, the sub-woofer's low and the main speaker's low are combined to be calibrated.
Using an AV receiver or devices from minidsp solves it, but I prefer very compact equipment because I am a pc-fi user.
I heard that the Dirac base control can solve this problem, do you have any information about it?

samysound

Do you happen to know about Dirac Base Control?
Since the current m10 does not have a high-pass function on the main speaker, the sub-woofer's low and the main speaker's low are combined to be calibrated.
Using an AV receiver or devices from minidsp solves it, but I prefer very compact equipment because I am a pc-fi user.
I heard that the Dirac base control can solve this problem, do you have any information about it?

The M10 does have high/low pass in its current configuration . I asked NAD tech support about cross-over functionality and this was their response:

" The M10's crossover sends low pass (LPF) audio to the connected subwoofer and high pass (HPF) audio to the speakers via the BluOS App settings. The crossover can be set from 40Hz ~ 200Hz. "

mk05

Forum Donor
I was looking into this for my study...but I have read that this product is experiencing severe problems in regards to Roon compatibility. For M10 owners, what have your experiences been like?

Instar

The M10 does have high/low pass in its current configuration . I asked NAD tech support about cross-over functionality and this was their response:

" The M10's crossover sends low pass (LPF) audio to the connected subwoofer and high pass (HPF) audio to the speakers via the BluOS App settings. The crossover can be set from 40Hz ~ 200Hz. "

Do you know how many octaves the crossover slopes?

Instar

I tried, but the matching of the volume calibration phase was not the same as the real thing.
In the volume control phase, the volume of the subwoofer was already 0db, and in order to match the volume of the subwoofer with the volume of the main speaker, the main speaker had to be lowered by about 13db and the master output increased by 13db.
As a result of setting and calibrating the volume, the volume of the subwoofer is also measured about 13 dB below the main speaker.
After all, there was no answer if the volume knob on the subwoofer was not turned to Max.
It is not known why the subwoofer output level of m10 is so low, unlike other amplifiers.

iLoveCats

I'm posting what my current Dirac looks like. Maybe it will help you. I'm also using an SVS sub that's been used in 2 other home theater systems and it's not any louder or quieter with the M10 unless I turn the gain up or down in Dirac or on the back of the sub. You can see my target response starts at 0dB and dips below. It generally follows the dips in frequency response. My results are far better than boosting the dips.

Attachments

• IMG_20200509_062720855.jpg
    IMG_20200509_062720855.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 461
  • IMG_20200509_062736525.jpg
    IMG_20200509_062736525.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 445
  • IMG_20200509_062752344.jpg
    IMG_20200509_062752344.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 428

Instar

I'm posting what my current Dirac looks like. Maybe it will help you. I'm also using an SVS sub that's been used in 2 other home theater systems and it's not any louder or quieter with the M10 unless I turn the gain up or down in Dirac or on the back of the sub. You can see my target response starts at 0dB and dips below. It generally follows the dips in frequency response. My results are far better than boosting the dips.

Um... is there a problem with my sub-woofer connection?
The sub-woofer output of m10 1/2 and the lfe terminal of svs sb-1000 were connected respectively.
It chose two subwoofers from the BlueOS app.
Crossover was chosen at 80 hz.
There are types of output modes such as stereo, left, right, and mono, but I don't know what the difference is.
I want to know if the volume is low due to the wrong connection method.

center.JPG

svs sb-1000 volume knob

max.JPG
svs sb-1000 volume knob [Max]​

iLoveCats

Leave the SVS knobs at half and pull the Left and Right levels down to match the -32dB of the subs and raise the master output higher in Dirac until all 4 get into the green. Your L/R speakers must be very efficient compared to the subs. I have only used 86dB and 85dB LS50's and Magnepans with mine

samysound

Um... is there a problem with my sub-woofer connection?
The sub-woofer output of m10 1/2 and the lfe terminal of svs sb-1000 were connected respectively.
It chose two subwoofers from the BlueOS app.
Crossover was chosen at 80 hz.
There are types of output modes such as stereo, left, right, and mono, but I don't know what the difference is.
I want to know if the volume is low due to the wrong connection method.

View attachment 62803
svs sb-1000 volume knob

View attachment 62804svs sb-1000 volume knob [Max]​
Hi, one thing you could try is using rca y-cables (one output from NAD to two male for input into both L and R channel in each sub) for connection to each sub. This might help increase the signal gain to the sub and help with your volume issue

5wavesup

@Instar

I was tempted to return the M10. I own an SVS Sub and was experiencing the same issue. Then my new best friend @iLoveCats suggested to increase the sub output during the DIRAC measurements. I matched my L/R speakers around -18 dB and raised the sub output by about 3 dB to about `20/21 dB. Huge difference. I am at work, but if you are interested I can send you screenshots when I get back in front of my PC.

minus3dB

The NAD is yet another product that falls significantly short on its optimistic specifications.

View attachment 30846

View attachment 30847
It's worth about AU$599 on a good day.

But it costs, wait for it, AU$3999. That's absolutely hilarious. The Master's Series was never terribly good value, right from the very first ones back in 2002 or so. I see things haven't changed one bit.

Yes on SNR and maybe on dynamic power, but Stereophile measured clipping at 1% THD at 155 wpc into 8 and 295 into 4. Those clipping numbers at 1% are not inconsistent with NAD's clipping numbers at 0.1%. Not sure what to make of the HiFiNews results when their peak power numbers are less than their continuous numbers and they measure exactly 100 and 200 wpc continuous. Stereophile does not measure peak power for amplifiers so I don't have a 3rd reference to compare that to without looking further.

Top Bottom