• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD D3045 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 64 21.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 183 61.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 41 13.7%

• Total voters

Offler

I would be interested in that too. I own/have owned the NAD C 268 and T 778 (both Hypex NCore) and C 298 (Purifi). None of them get particularly warm, let alone hot. Maybe because the cabinets are just bigger?
D3020v2 and d3045 have common PSU and the main amplifier (a NAD customized variation of Hypex UcD102). Preamp, DAC and rest of the electronics should be different.

Its probably not because of Class D architecture, since those are said to be very effective. Small enclosure, small heatsinks, passive cooling design...

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I generally don't see the point of "integrated" amplifiers, but this one delivers reasonably good performance in all its service areas. IME that's something few such products can do.

Keened

Forum Donor
I wonder why the unit produces so much heat if it's Class D amplification...HDMI circuitry?
Possibly, but I mostly used it with usb, opt, or line-in on my desk so it would have been generating that without even actively using the circuitry.

I think the issue is just how small the vent cutouts are and that they're on the 'bottom' of the side panels rather than the top. I get that it ruins the sleek side view to have cutouts, but heat does rise and all...

A full mesh covered honeycomb side would look pretty good as well and help quite a bit I feel. It's a solid overall concept, I'd like to see them take another run at it with purifi modules or maybe make an M1 (like the M10 v2 but just enough less not to cannibalize the sales, drop the streamer?) that comes in at ~$1K.

Powerbench

The question how does it sound and what are your expectations?
Amir thinks it’s good maybe not great but it has the noted 60+ watts and

• Two-Way Bluetooth powered by Qualcomm aptX HD audio
  • Asynchronous USB 24/192 Input supporting MQA and DSD
  • HDMI Audio Return Channel****
  • Coax and Optical Input
  • MM Phono and Line Input
  • Preamp Out
  • Sub Out
  • Headphone Amp
  • IR Remote. Where do you get that at a little over $1000 CDN while the M33 is 7x the price!!! Is the M33 over 7x better ?!! I doubt it.
  • So throw in warranty and or dealer support and you can buy it direct from NAD for a 30 day trial. No I do not work for NAD or paid by them but I am thinking for a small-ish room with modest speakers this might be an answer. It’s about weighing needs/wants and practicality. Oh yes the music too!!
Thanks Amir for the hardwork!!

brandonhall

Forum Donor
What are some competing options with USB in the same compact form factor? The Sprout 100, Topping MX5, Quad Vena II, Leak Stereo 130, Emotiva TA1. What else is there?

Last edited:

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
What are some competing options with USB in the same compact form factor? The Sprout 100, Topping MX5, Quad Vena II, Leak Stereo 130, Emotiva TA1. What else is there?
  • Audiophonics TPA-S100
  • Loxjie A30
  • Original Audio OPA-Q2.1
  • Keces E40
  • SMSL VMV A2
  • miniDSP SHD Power
  • Primare I15

Powerbench

I also look at dealer, warranty support and functionality. Being in Canada having Canadian company support ensures my investment than shipping something back to Shanghai… just saying.

KnutSeppelae

I'm ising the 3045 with C298 & B&W 603 and that is sounding great. But the C298 was really the gamechanger.

audiobasha

A good cross-shop for this might be the new powernode (N330). It has eARC, 2 way BT, AirPlay 2 (!), DAC, and all the rest in a super-integrated chassis for $950. I don’t know how it measures, but featureset wise they’re close. Of course, the powernode doesn’t have a built in phono stage but adds airplay (over to you which is more important). one can add a wireless phono stage to the powernode but it will cost an additional $320.

fuzzy_logic

The Powernode is a streaming amplifier, but the NAD has no network connection, so it can't do Airplay 2, Spotify Connect etc. I'm not sure the D3045 needs it though, as i think they would mostly either be connected to a TV (via HDMI) or used on a desktop connected to a PC, so you can stream easily from either of those sources.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Powernode is a streaming amplifier, but the NAD has no network connection, so it can't do Airplay 2, Spotify Connect etc. I'm not sure the D3045 needs it though, as i think they would mostly either be connected to a TV (via HDMI) or used on a desktop connected to a PC, so you can stream easily from either of those sources.
Sure but since NAD owns the cmpany that does the Powernode, it would seem silly to duplicate feature sets. The D3045 lets you hook up a computer via USB and acts as the streaming front end, the Bluesound stuff seems desgined for people that just want an integrated lifestyle product they can use via an app.

txbdan

I have one of these and had it on my office desk for awhile. I used it with a computer/usb source, turntable source, and with a sub. It did just fine. I went to a different office setup and I now have it in the basement where we connect the Peloton or phones to it via bluetooth. It's also connected to a sub and to a pair of old B&W towers. I actually just moved the turntable down there so that is also connected. It really does do a whole bunch of stuff. It's worked well, my only gripe is the lack of LPF on the sub output. There are HPF options for the main outputs, though, so not a big deal if your sub has a crossover.

I haven't noticed any heat issues.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of good but not a shred of great. Also a lot of money. I can put something together with separates that, for the same or not much more money, can do all of that great.
But not in such a compact package. This is made for people who want a small, stylish component that can replace an entire stereo system and offers good performance all-around. But yes, it is on the expensive side. When introduced four years ago, it was $699 and represented a good value. Now it is $899 and the value proposition is not as great.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish they'd do a D7050 follow-up with Ncore in it. I need 2 digital inputs, a good DAC, one or two sub-out with configurable xover with good amplification (hence Hypex). That's it. Simplicity and minimize the number of boxes. I'd pay up to $4k for that box if it's built with quality in mind. The D3045 has a lot of features I don't need. Same with the M10, they included too much stuff and watered it down. The D7050 got it right - bet on digital all the way, and think minimalist.

The LS60 is awesome, but I want to hear more long time user reports before I embrace such an all-in-one-forever concept. I still believe in connecting sources (audio from online services or local library) to a high-performing DAC-amplifier stage that also offers configurable sub-xover, and then off to passive speakers and a sub you go. Stuff like Dirac in there also highly desirable.

Last edited:

classay amplifier

I own NAD d3020v2 which is smaller cousin. The amplifier itself seems to have identical Hypex UcD102, and i would like to see it being reviewed here, but DAC and other components seem to be different

1. Both D3045 and D3020v2 can run hot.
Its a passive design and I highly recommend to keep both amps standing and not overload them.

2. Speaker VS phones jack output
When I measured my D3020v2 i used speaker output and when I check the graphs here, those are quite similar. I would not expect that direct measurements from DAC to speaker output might be better.3. What about SPDIF inputs?

3. Service port might be moody and not accept all USB keys/Card readers.

Thanks.
Just an FYI...I recently updated my D3020v2 firmware and realized that it only recognized my USB key if it was formatted FAT32. Not saying there aren't other issues but that's definitely one of them.

I recently took it out again after storing it for almost 4 years. It's just so convenient. The remote has pause and skip controls for when using the AptX input (this was magic to me in 2018). No power brick. In the old days of cringy, inappropriate expressions one could have said it has a high "waf" (so sorry, won't happen again), while doing a pretty decent job all around.

Luckily it sits alone and upright on a bookshelf near my desk so I don't notice the heat.

panther

Is this an option for the LS 50 meta for nearfield use? I need something small at my desk and like the sub out option. I have a Martin Logan 800x and can fine tune it’s LPF (I believe) on the sub itself or the app it has.

brandonhall

Forum Donor
Is this an option for the LS 50 meta for nearfield use? I need something small at my desk and like the sub out option. I have a Martin Logan 800x and can fine tune it’s LPF (I believe) on the sub itself or the app it has.
This is a pretty old product at this point. It does a lot, but the plastic is rough. I bought it and returned it for the PowerNode 2021. For the money, the BlueSound PowerNode Edge is an exciting little unit.

panther

This is a pretty old product at this point. It does a lot, but the plastic is rough. I bought it and returned it for the PowerNode 2021. For the money, the BlueSound PowerNode Edge is an exciting little unit.
Yeah I was thinking of a used one just to get me through until something newer comes out. Just like that it has the USB,preamp,DAC,SW out with a high pass filter and a headphone amp.

Top Bottom