• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C658 Streaming DAC Review

MKW

guess that I'm not worried about the touch screen

It's not just the touchscreen capability of the M12... M12 has a many more configurations available in its menu system; each input has its own gain level setting + variable or fixed, line-level outputs and sub outputs (4 unbalanced outs + main unbalanced and balanced have their own gain setting + high-pass/low-pass + cutoff frequency of each, also the screen is bigger and does a much better job of using that screen real estate to full-effect and even though it doesn't display album art, the track name/album/artist is displayed so big, you can see it from listening position easily (in my situation) - this is not true of the C658 or C388.
What I'm saying is, the M12 isn't just a touchscreen version of the others, it is much better in many ways - so much so, it's not even in the same class.

Look at the volume display on the C658... why did they make it so small? Why not use the full screen size - like it was developed as a remedial Summer-school coding class project. The M12 screens appear to have been designed by a professional.

JDRCapeCod

Forum Donor
Can anyone comment regarding the quality of the included calibration microphone? I see that there is a mic calibration file that can be downloaded from the NAD site, but it is not unique to each mic. I am curious if using something like a Dayton UMM-6 or a MiniDSP UMIK-1 would deliver a noticeably better result, especially if you have paid for Dirac full-bandwidth. Curious if any owners have experimented with this.

Dathzo

Can anyone comment regarding the quality of the included calibration microphone? I see that there is a mic calibration file that can be downloaded from the NAD site, but it is not unique to each mic. I am curious if using something like a Dayton UMM-6 or a MiniDSP UMIK-1 would deliver a noticeably better result, especially if you have paid for Dirac full-bandwidth. Curious if any owners have experimented with this.
I have used both umik-1 and the default mic for Dirac. I like the umik-1 results better and it actually measures better (using REW and rhe umik-1). The difference is mainly at high frequencies, so you would need the full Dirac in order to note anything. Other users have suggested there is no difference, but I my case, I found one

Dathzo

Was doing today some quick calculations based on what Amir has measured, see below:

1630671897329-png.3171940

Note that at 4V output, the theoretical SINAD would be -65db. Amir measured -90db at 4V (I understand that corresponding to -4.5db volume attenuation). Extrapolating measured values, and assuming linearity, the unit would have an excellent SINAD at around -20db of volume attenuation (-111db).

This is of course extrapolating values and assuming linearity that may or may not be there but just wanted to share the numbers with you guys.

JDRCapeCod

Forum Donor
I have used both umik-1 and the default mic for Dirac. I like the umik-1 results better and it actually measures better (using REW and rhe umik-1). The difference is mainly at high frequencies, so you would need the full Dirac in order to note anything. Other users have suggested there is no difference, but I my case, I found one
I purchased the umik-1 and will be completing a new calibration. Without Dirac I can hear that I have some phase issues at certain frequencies. I am hoping for a good result (changed furniture in the room and then heard the issue). Reading through the Dirac manual I see that they recommend pointing the mic towards the ceiling and using the 90 degree file...also that the mic gain should be at 100%. I am hoping that Dirac (I have the full frequency version) addresses what I am hearing.

Dathzo

I purchased the umik-1 and will be completing a new calibration. Without Dirac I can hear that I have some phase issues at certain frequencies. I am hoping for a good result (changed furniture in the room and then heard the issue). Reading through the Dirac manual I see that they recommend pointing the mic towards the ceiling and using the 90 degree file...also that the mic gain should be at 100%. I am hoping that Dirac (I have the full frequency version) addresses what I am hearing.
Good luck, Dirac does wonders in many setups. Make sure to be patient and carefully do the measurements. The correction will be as good as the data you input to it

MKW

unit would have an excellent SINAD at around -20db of volume attenuation (-111db).
Maybe that's why the unit sounds fine to me - haven't and wouldn't need to adjust the volume level that high.
Thanks for sharing that information!

samysound

Have there been any updates from NAD with regards to enabling Dirac Bass Control capability? I can find anything on the NAD website so I assume the answer is no?

MKW

Have there been any updates from NAD with regards to enabling Dirac Bass Control capability? I can find anything on the NAD website so I assume the answer is no?
Maybe there is an answer here: https://nadelectronics.com/dirac-live/
I find that DiracLive immediately acknowledges the C658 and allows calibration - even without Dirac login (no registration required), same as miniDSP DDRC-88A/BM.
In the case of miniDSP, there was a one-time $99 hardware-linked purchase to add bass management (license stays with the unit by firmware).
In the case of NAD, seems the included LE-version is bass-only (16Hz - 500Hz), and you can pay $99 to extend it to full-frequency (20Hz - 20kHz), which also buys multiple PC license and allows more usefulness as the entire freq. range is calibrated together as a cohesive system (think bass to sub crossover smoothing, and full-range gain/phase/impulse alignment).

steadilyfred

An NAD Facebook group member just shared an interesting response they received from NAD support regarding Dirac Live bass control. This one seems to be more informative (and encouraging?) than the usual canned responses.

------------
Vishnu M. (NAD Electronics)
Oct 11, 2021, 10:36 PM EDT

Hello #####,

Thank you for contacting NAD Electronics.

We do apologize for the undue delay regarding bass management with DIRAC, we are currently working with DIRAC to implement their Bass Management module into our products. They are an excellent partner and are mutually excited about our implementation.

Unfortunately, our schedule was affected greatly due to emergency measures put in place by The Government of Canada and Province of Ontario to stop the spread of COVID-19. This resulted in our staff being migrated to a work-from-home model as we were no longer able to access some of our test facilities at our corporate headquarters just outside of Toronto. Though our development team was able to continue working on the software and firmware, our quality assurance team was no longer able to effectively test their results.

Through an easing of Emergency Measures along with some creative ways our QA Teams have been able to test in their home offices, we are slowly getting back on track. We hope to provide an updated timeline and get the much anticipated Dirac Bass Management system out to the C658, M33, M10 and other NAD 2 channel Dirac capable products as quickly as possible.

For more about firmware updates, new products or other great news, please Follow Us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/nadelectronics, Like us on Twitter @NADElectronics or sign up to our e-mail News Letter at www.nadelectronics.com, scroll to the bottom and click the Newsletter link.

Thanks for your patience, understanding.

Regards,
Vishnu M
NAD Support Crew Analyst

------------

TonyB

What I'd love to hear is that they're releasing a new model as an updated version of the C658, to iron out its inherent defects. They updated the M10 pretty quickly, but the C658 remains current. Great concept for a device, but poorly implemented.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
What I'd love to hear is that they're releasing a new model as an updated version of the C658, to iron out its inherent defects.
What inherent defects? Aside from the less than stellar SINAD (which is of course still beyond audibility) and curious lack of USB input, I can't think of anything I would change. Smaller box perhaps ...?

RVCollura

What inherent defects? Aside from the less than stellar SINAD (which is of course still beyond audibility) and curious lack of USB input, I can't think of anything I would change. Smaller box perhaps ...?
I use the USB input on mine all the time.

RVCollura

The USB is only for connecting a harddisk or the measurement microphone. It's not an input to the dac.
I don't understand, I have high res music files on a thumb drive that the C658 plays. How could they be playing if not through the DAC?

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I have high res music files on a thumb drive that the C658 plays. How could they be playing if not through the DAC?
Yes of course your files are playing through the DAC, but that's because your disk or thumbdrive is mounted on the filesystem of the C658. That's not the same as what we normally understand as a 'USB DAC' interface. The point is that the USB won't accept asynchronous input from the USB output of a Raspberry Pi for example or another type of computer.

RVCollura

Yes of course your files are playing through the DAC, but that's because your disk or thumbdrive is mounted on the filesystem of the C658. That's not the same as what we normally understand as a 'USB DAC' interface. The point is that the USB won't accept asynchronous input from the USB output of a Raspberry Pi for example or another type of computer.
OK, got it. I use a JDS DAC on a different system that way.

TonyB

Could a C658 user please confirm how the output level settings work? I've read the manual but it's not clear (at least to me!). This is what it says:

"Fixed: Output level is fixed and the C 658’s Volume Control is bypassed. This feature is sometimes referred to as “Cinema Bypass” because it allows the C 658 to be used for the front channels of a surround sound system by relegating the volume control function to the surround processor"

It then goes on to talk about individual inputs. Is it the case that each input channel can be set to have a fixed or variable output? That seems to be what it's saying.

The reason for asking is that I need a variable preamp output for my active speakers, and the possibility of adding an external headphone amp to upgrade headphone listening (I've read that the headphone output of the 658 is mediocre). As there's no digital output I would need a fixed level analogue signal for a headphone amp.

Ideally I would set the XLR outputs to 'fixed' to feed a balanced headphone amp, and the RCA outputs to variable to work as a preamp for the active speakers.

DogsDieInHotCars

Taking a look at this review, Armir couldn't get coax/optical to lock. Do we have a decent idea of the SINAD of the digital inputs?

Re-lar-Kvothe

I searched this thread and did not find any reference to my problem with the C658 and the MDC-HDM-2 Card. I am playing an Eric Clapton Crossroads festival bluray disc and while watching/listening I notice the audio lags the video by a second or less, just enough to be bothersome to watch. Both pieces are new within the last 2 weeks. If I connect the BR player (Panasonic DP-UB9000) directly to the TV there is no lag. When I connect3 the player to the C658 with the MDC-HDM-2 the lag is obvious. Anyone notice this and have a solution? I cannot watch like this. Otherwise this C-658 is an outstanding addition to my system.

Top Bottom