• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C658 Streaming DAC Review

fricc

I also own this device and I'm quite happy with it.
So I am sad, but not terribly surprised, to see that it measures so badly.
If only it measured better ...

I find it kind of funny that even if the unit is working just fine for you, that @amirm's measurements exceed the specs of the device, but that is not enough... ;P

KarVi71

I find it kind of funny that even if the unit is working just fine for you, that @amirm's measurements exceed the specs of the device, but that is not enough... ;P

Things can allways be better ... :)

The device does have bugs, and I have experienced some of them.

I have worked around them, but that should not be necessary.

And in a later post I mentioned that I'm still very happy with my C658.

The device is easy to use, features are just right & the sound is really good.

But these bugs are hindering the device. I want it to be succesfull so that Nad has the resources to invest more in the software.

Perhaps thats being a bit naive, but so be it :)

EB1000

Just to clarify for those interested specifically in HT bypass - The C658 doesn't have a direct HT Bypass either. Both the SHD and C658 have 'analogue' inputs that can be 'kind of' used for that purpose with the C658 having the advantage of being able to assign a fix volume output. So apart from the C658 not requiring you to set the volume to a particular level to match your AVR's calibration there's no difference. They both go through an unnecessary AD/DA conversion and there's no pass through for the subwoofer either. The Parasound HT Bypass is a direct analogue pass-through for L, R and Sub.

C658 has both "analog bypass" + "fixed volume". Activate them both. and you get almost true HT bypass (still the signal passes through analog preamp with tone control.

capt.s

I believe that’s exactly what I said. The wrinkle is no sub pass-through. The P6 bypass auto engages when the unit is turned off. The main benefit of this approach (which anyone could implement pretty cost effectively) is that it makes the system more family friendly for those with Audio/HT double duty equipment.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly what "features" are your referring to? I have owned all three of these components (STR pre/NAD/P6); I returned the NAD for malfunctions and sold the P6 for lack of room correction. The STR is not going anywhere because of its superb performance and excellent feature set. It isn't a realistic comparison in any case because the STR retails for more than twice the cost of the others. The build quality of the STR is in another league altogether, it has balanced independent sub outs, superb HT bypass, and a more advanced version of ARC that will phase match your subs to the mains. Granted it does not have a built in streamer but that allows the user to choose whatever interface (Yamaha, Denon, Sonos, whatever) they prefer for digital input. I've used all of the major interfaces and settled on Sonos as the most stable and easy to use so I chose a Sonos Port to input my streaming music. The STR has been thoroughly measured at Audioholics with this conclusion "I'm so impressed with how the Anthem STR separates components work in my reference system that I've decided to make them a permanent fixture." Also measured by hometheaterhifi.com with excellent results.
The streaming features from the NAD

fricc

I believe that’s exactly what I said. The wrinkle is no sub pass-through. The P6 bypass auto engages when the unit is turned off. The main benefit of this approach (which anyone could implement pretty cost effectively) is that it makes the system more family friendly for those with Audio/HT double duty equipment.

The NAD's bass management and sub crossover are implemented in the digital domain, so I really cannot see how the sub could work as pass through.

The Parasound is instead completely analog preamplifier, the crossover frequency is selected using a knob in the back. The P6 is marketed as a Pre & DAC, not a streamer, and it does no signal processing whatsoever. It is really an analog pre with a DAC inside.

Reactions: wje

capt.s

100% agree. My point is the only true HT bypass method (P6) is purely analog with dedicated L, R & Sub outputs redirected by a solenoid from the regular L, R & Sub inputs. It is a hardware implementation for sure with a (relatively small) cost associated with it. I didn't mean NAD could accommodate this with a firmware upgrade:), but any manufacturer could implement this in a future model release. Either they don't think it's worth the cost compared the the number of people that would value it, or, they underestimate how many would.

Brian6751

I also own this unit and have been more than happy with its performance. I use it mostly with Roon but also use HDMI and recently started using the built in phono.

I did consider the Minidsp SHD but its still not quite "domesticated"?(idk) enough for me.

I honestly don't hear any difference DAC wise between the C658 and the Topping D50s I was using. Actually, I also owned the Chord 2Qute and Qutest and subjectively preferred the 2Qute over the D50s even though the D50s measured better so go figure....

sashi2

I experienced some light popping sounds at first after sitting idle for 20 minutes or so. But it seems to have stopped that in the last month or so.

I'm pretty certain the popping is a software problem - possibly an upstream kernel bug or similar - and maybe only affecting certain combinations of features being in use. I.e. it probably affects all units but only in certain situations and it will almost certainly get fixed in time, if it hasn't already ...

I wonder if all units have the issue with digital inputs and this is actually implementation flow rather than a defective unit. Amir has tested Bluesound Node 2i and it had the same issue if I recall. It seems too much of a coincidence - considering, as you might now, NAD bought Bluesound. I wouldn't be surprised if they share internal components, in fact I would be surprised if they don't.

JohnKay

Exactly what "features" are your referring to? I have owned all three of these components (STR pre/NAD/P6); I returned the NAD for malfunctions and sold the P6 for lack of room correction. The STR is not going anywhere because of its superb performance and excellent feature set. It isn't a realistic comparison in any case because the STR retails for more than twice the cost of the others. The build quality of the STR is in another league altogether, it has balanced independent sub outs, superb HT bypass, and a more advanced version of ARC that will phase match your subs to the mains. Granted it does not have a built in streamer but that allows the user to choose whatever interface (Yamaha, Denon, Sonos, whatever) they prefer for digital input. I've used all of the major interfaces and settled on Sonos as the most stable and easy to use so I chose a Sonos Port to input my streaming music. The STR has been thoroughly measured at Audioholics with this conclusion "I'm so impressed with how the Anthem STR separates components work in my reference system that I've decided to make them a permanent fixture." Also measured by hometheaterhifi.com with excellent results.

Do you (if so how) sync with other sonos speakers? Reason I am asking is because I suspect the Sonos port input will go through the STR DSP which will introduce a delay. Roon allows for sync tweaking and can fix any DSP delay. Have you found a way to deal with this outside roon?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you (if so how) sync with other sonos speakers? Reason I am asking is because I suspect the Sonos port input will go through the STR DSP which will introduce a delay. Roon allows for sync tweaking and can fix any DSP delay. Have you found a way to deal with this outside roon?
I don't have any Sonos speakers; i just use the Ports to get a broadband connection for streaming Spotify or other services.

Reactions: wje

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello long time reader first post. I had this unit for about a month but returned it before the audition period ran out. I had an issue I haven't seen mentioned so far. I used the NAD strictly for streaming Qobuz and the Dirac room correction. The Dirac was easy to set up and worked great in my situation so no complaints with that. I wasn't interested in the preamp function so I set volume to fixed, connected balanced to my McIntosh integrated. I began noticing a lot of distortion playing files from Qobuz. One particular bad one was James Taylor American Standard which didn't make sense to me being a new album. One day a light bulb went off as I was trying to figure out what was causing some files to sound so lousy and I changed the NAD from fixed volume to variable and began turning it down and my integrated up, problem solved. The NAD at fixed 0dB was causing the distortion, I had to find the sweet spot between the integrated and NAD which became a hassle fooling with two volumes all the time so back it went. I tried setting the fixed at -5dB but it would always pop back to 0dB. Anyway great site I've learned a lot here.

Brian6751

Hello long time reader first post. I had this unit for about a month but returned it before the audition period ran out. I had an issue I haven't seen mentioned so far. I used the NAD strictly for streaming Qobuz and the Dirac room correction. The Dirac was easy to set up and worked great in my situation so no complaints with that. I wasn't interested in the preamp function so I set volume to fixed, connected balanced to my McIntosh integrated. I began noticing a lot of distortion playing files from Qobuz. One particular bad one was James Taylor American Standard which didn't make sense to me being a new album. One day a light bulb went off as I was trying to figure out what was causing some files to sound so lousy and I changed the NAD from fixed volume to variable and began turning it down and my integrated up, problem solved. The NAD at fixed 0dB was causing the distortion, I had to find the sweet spot between the integrated and NAD which became a hassle fooling with two volumes all the time so back it went. I tried setting the fixed at -5dB but it would always pop back to 0dB. Anyway great site I've learned a lot here.
sounds like the output signal was clipping the input on the McIntosh

sashi2

interesting. I wonder if Bluesound node 2i has the same issue with this song when volume is fixed.

sashi2

Would like to see the NAD M10 get tested...hopefully someone will send it in.
i've not seen it measured but have seen this not very flattering video review:

It seems like if money is no object, M10 is not bad - I've read other good reviews. However, considering the non audio parts will get old quick, a separate streamer might be a better choice. I think streamer will get old much sooner than the audio.

sashi2

... different output signal level. The issue was the 658 output signal increase
Are you basing it on measurements you've seen here or on their specs? Can you illustrate so that I understand how to look at these things?

Brian6751

thats one of the worst reviews Zeos has done. He obviously doesnt understand the product. Those of us that have actually used it the way its designed know it sounds great.

Top Bottom