• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C658 Streaming DAC Review

Paranoj

Hi Everyone. I have big problem with dirac setup with C658. In app on pc i have always comment "Error during measurement (Device internal error). I have a microphone plug in a usb port in my nad C658 and it's always the same problem...How i can go forward? In next step system don't draw a line, only information measurement cancelled.... sorry for my english :)

sharock

I'm running my C658 with crossovers set to 100 hz. But when I am doing Dirac, my Main speakers are clearly running frequencies well below 100 hz (a lot of cone movement). What am I doing wrong?

The Dirac measurements are taken with your speakers running full range. The crossover only applies when you're actually using them (independent of whether you apply Dirac or not). For this reason, my advice (since you are using a PC) would be to measure your setup in REW first without any Dirac correction whilst playing around with the crossover until you get the best FR you can uncorrected. Dirac doesn't care about the resulting combined response when correcting. I've noticed the bass response being worse at 100Hz xo than 120Hz, despite Dirac predicting it will be flat after correction.

Hi Everyone. I have big problem with dirac setup with C658. In app on pc i have always comment "Error during measurement (Device internal error). I have a microphone plug in a usb port in my nad C658 and it's always the same problem...How i can go forward? In next step system don't draw a line, only information measurement cancelled.... sorry for my english :)

Does it make any difference if you plug your microphone into the USB port of your PC rather than the C658?

Paranoj

Pomiary Diraca są wykonywane z głośnikami pracującymi w pełnym zakresie. Crossover działa tylko wtedy, gdy faktycznie ich używasz (niezależnie od tego, czy stosujesz Diraca, czy nie). Z tego powodu moja rada (ponieważ używasz komputera) to najpierw zmierzyć ustawienia w REW bez żadnej korekcji Diraca, podczas zabawy ze zwrotnicą, dopóki nie uzyskasz najlepszego FR, którego możesz nie skorygować. Dirac nie dba o wynikową łączną odpowiedź podczas poprawiania. Zauważyłem, że odpowiedź basu jest gorsza przy 100Hz xo niż 120Hz, mimo że Dirac przewiduje, że po korekcie będzie płaska.

Czy ma to jakiekolwiek znaczenie, jeśli podłączysz mikrofon do portu USB komputera zamiast do C6?

Pomiary Diraca są wykonywane z głośnikami pracującymi w pełnym zakresie. Crossover działa tylko wtedy, gdy faktycznie ich używasz (niezależnie od tego, czy stosujesz Diraca, czy nie). Z tego powodu moja rada (ponieważ używasz komputera) to najpierw zmierzyć ustawienia w REW bez żadnej korekcji Diraca, podczas zabawy ze zwrotnicą, dopóki nie uzyskasz najlepszego FR, którego możesz nie skorygować. Dirac nie dba o wynikową łączną odpowiedź podczas poprawiania. Zauważyłem, że odpowiedź basu jest gorsza przy 100Hz xo niż 120Hz, mimo że Dirac przewiduje, że po korekcie będzie płaska.

Czy ma to jakiekolwiek znaczenie, jeśli podłączysz mikrofon do portu USB komputera, a nie do C658?
It doesn't matter where the microphone is install.

withoutsuit

Can anyone of C658 owners say, if:

- the two sub outs can be separately delayed (distance)
- dirac calibration handles the sub separate from the mains or measured it togehter with l+r mains

Thank you!

Dathzo

1. You can't do it manually, but Dirac will take are of it
2. With the C658, you can measure the 4 channels (l+r+2subs) independently

withoutsuit

Thank you! What a pitty, that delay is not manually configurable - so a minidsp at subout would still be necessary

Dathzo

Thank you! What a pitty, that delay is not manually configurable - so a minidsp at subout would still be necessary
Or not... I have done the experiment of trying Dirac as 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2, with and without minidsp. Dirac does a good job most of the cases. 2.2 is what I liked the least...

sharock

2.2 is what I liked the least...

Probably because Dirac Live without Bass Control doesn't really do anything for multi-sub so you just end up with a worse FR than 2.0 or 2.1.

I'm using 2 SVS subs with my C658 from a single sub-out with a splitter. I used a mic, REW and the subs phase controls to get the best pre-correction FR I could before putting it through Dirac. That seems to be the best that can be done without DLBC or being able to set the delays manually and using something like multi sub optimiser.

Dathzo

Probably because Dirac Live without Bass Control doesn't really do anything for multi-sub so you just end up with a worse FR than 2.0 or 2.1.

I'm using 2 SVS subs with my C658 from a single sub-out with a splitter. I used a mic, REW and the subs phase controls to get the best pre-correction FR I could before putting it through Dirac. That seems to be the best that can be done without DLBC or being able to set the delays manually and using something like multi sub optimiser.
Exactly this. I'm doing something similar, but my sub output is going to a minidsp 2x4hd and from there I tune the subs ahead of DL

withoutsuit

According NAD support, an Dirac Bass Control Update is expected for C658, M33 , M10 and other two channel devices. I hope, that it is full dirac live bass control for multiple subs and not only single sub. I finally want to get rid of my minidsp ddrc24/2x4hd.

Dathzo

According NAD support, an Dirac Bass Control Update is expected for C658, M33 , M10 and other two channel devices. I hope, that it is full dirac live bass control for multiple subs and not only single sub. I finally want to get rid of my minidsp ddrc24/2x4hd.
That would be great. When did you get that info from NAD support?

sharock

They still haven't implemented a basic volume limiter for the C658 in the BluOS app. I have little faith in a DLBC module, but it would be nice.

MKW

I'm using C658 XLR outputs (only) to a pair of Hypex FA123 (also have a pair of F253 to try). Each FA123 is dedicated to one channel (L & R), and powers LXmini (requires 2 channels) plus the open-baffle sub for that channel. So, sub crossover, PEQ filters, gain, phase, and delay are independently controlled by Hypex Filter Designer & DSP built-in to FA plates.

ajstrider

No, my connection is correct. This is a well described issue. See for example https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/e...0374-Subwoofer-level-from-Bluos-app-NAD-C658-. It does not affect all units, possibly depending on the type/brand of subwoofer. The only way to use the subwoofer successfully for me is to connect it to the preamp out rather than the sub and select the option No Subwoofer in the setup. But that does not allow using DIRAC for the sub, just for the main speakers. Others have recommended adding a MiniDSP 2x4 to the chain, between the sub out of the C 658 and the input of the sub, in order to increase the volume of the sub, but that is one more box (not to mention $200). Unfortunately the C 658 does not have a volume adjustment for the sub and the default (and only option) is way too low on many units. This is possibly a software issue that could be fixed through firmware updates but it has been over a year since the issue was first reported and nothing has changed.

Thank you all for your input!
Gianfri, can I ask how you have got on since ? I have not read of anyone returning their unit either to NAD or an independent technician for the voltage output ( supposed to be > 4.5 v according to specs) to be measured at max volume with a test tone with a frequency under that set for the crossover). That could surely prove whether all Nad c658 are born with a disability or that it is a sporadic thing that SHOULD BE THE SUBJECT OF A RECALL. If this was a car we'd have vit done long ago instead of being grateful that it gas 4 wheels a steering wheel and is shiny. Minevis like yours and I plan to get it assessed by the dealer . I will te you the outcome

kenscott30

Purchased a Dynaudio Sub 6 to go along with my Dynaudio XD30 powered speakers.

I can’t get the darn thing to work. I have 1 rca cable plugged in to the top sub port. Crossover set to 80 hz. I have chosen 1 sub from the NAD’s menu. I have the HDMI card that I connect my tv, and it pulls audio from the tv to play on the Dynaudio speakers.

I believe I have the latest firmware on the NAD, 3.18.10.

Any thoughts?

Top Bottom