• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C658 Streaming DAC Review

Dathzo

I'm about to buy one of these unit from the second hand market.
However, I keep reading these horrible reviews about popping sounds from the subwoofer, low subwoofer output. All kinds of different problems. Most of these reviews are from 2021 or before.
Have NAD fixed these known issues through firmware updates or is this unit still a no-go?

I'd love to get some input. Thanks !
It’s a great unit. I had it for 3 years and enjoyed it much. On the positive side:

1. Easy to use, inputs are detected automatically from a signal
2. Tons of features, you can connect all your gear
3. Pretty decent sound quality
4. Firmware keeps updating and you may even see DLBC soon

On the negative side of things (for some people):

1. Some Sub models suffer from low level depending on their sensitivity. I used SVS SB-1000 pro without problems (lower levels than other systems, but still usable). However, when subwoofer(s) (either 1 or 2) are enabled, the unit will produce clipping distortion on some tracks that are recorded “hot”. This was the thing that was annoying me the most
2. Any Dirac correction applied will affect all the outputs, including the headphone amplifier. It is very easy to turn it off. You can eventually have a unique profile for headphones with Dirac, but I’m not sure how easy it would be to do those measurements/correction. The headphone amplifier is not great BTW
3. SINAD is not great, although as said above, it does not affect the sound quality
4. Yes, there are some clicks here and there (mainly when changing tracks at different sample rates) that may bother some. The system never suffered from any pops

Just ask if you need further info

terfenol-D

@JDRCapeCod @JoetheLion - why did you both end up getting rid of it? What did you replace it with? I’m really asking if there’s something new I should be looking. So far I am not aware of anything that does everything the c658 does.

You can count me as someone who is more or less happy with mine.

Reed

I’ve had my C658 for about three years. No issues with Dirac or sub output. My biggest complaint is with how BlueOS handles AirPlay. Volume can be very loud if switching from another source - like Tidal Connect. There is now a volume range control in the app but I think it’s global and not just for AirPlay. I wanted a preamp that offered Dirac and balanced output for my Genelec monitors and it does that perfectly. The only cost effective alternative is a Mini DSP Flex, AFAIK.

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
@JDRCapeCod @JoetheLion - why did you both end up getting rid of it? What did you replace it with? I’m really asking if there’s something new I should be looking. So far I am not aware of anything that does everything the c658 does.

I have replaced my C 658 and C 298 with an M10. Costs less, is more compact, has a nice display, no difference in sound.

LuvTheMusic

Same here: I had mine for a couple of years, sold it to a good friend who has been using it with no issues ever since. The only reason for change was substituting a specialized processor that duplicated most of the 658 functions; otherwise I would still have it.

JDRCapeCod

Forum Donor

I ended up replacing mine with an NAD M33. I feel the C658 is a better device since the phono stage on my M33 is digital and doesn't have enough gain when using Dirac.

Top Bottom