• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C658 replacement project (HiFi + HT) - Help needed

EB1000

Hi

I currently own the NAD C658, which is packed with features and easily integrates into my current HT setup (Yamaha RX-A2070). I have two Hypex NC400 monoblocks with XLR inputs, and Focal Aria 936 speakers + two SVM SB2000 Pro subs.

Two months ago I've pre ordered the Yamaha RX-A6A AVR, which includes XLR pre outs for the front channels (will arrive by end of September). I want to use the Hypex amps for both HT and HiFi.

I was thinking of selling the NAD C658 and getting the MiniDSP SHD preamp/DAC, which will be used as a preamp and DAC for the HiFi only setup (2 channel music). I will also buy the Bluesound Node, which will be connected via coax directly to the SHD, and will be used as a streamer and Roon endpoint.

The two subwoofers will be connected to both the AVR and the SHD (shared for both HT and HiFi).

To be able to share the Hypex amps between the AVR and SHD, I'm considering the ARX RS-1 XLR AB switch, with the connection setup shown in the attached picture.

Now, I have two questions:

1. What do you think of such setup?

2. How do I get the AB switch to switch from A to B by an IR remote command from my Harmony Hub remote? (what is the missing link/device that can send 12V trigger on/off by a pre-selected IR command (for example, whenever I switch the SHD to a certain input by remote, the AB switch will switch to input A - the Yamaha AVR).

Help will be appreciated

Link to hi-res image:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bd57mbv34fqll0/Mysetup.png?dl=0

Thanks.

Mysetup.png

OP
EB1000

EB1000

Why still use the AVR when you have the SHD??

SHD is used to music. AVR is used for movies and TV. My HT and HIFI are in the same room sharing the same front speakers and subs.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would actually prefer you to connect your yamaha to your SHD instead. This way you do not need to use the switcher. I am not a fan of switchers esp. for interconnects. A direct unaltered path to the monoblocks is still the best.

OP
EB1000

EB1000

I would actually prefer you to connect your yamaha to your SHD instead. This way you do not need to use the switcher. I am not a fan of switchers esp. for interconnects. A direct unaltered path to the monoblocks is still the best.

The SHD cannot bypass its volume control or provide a HT bypass like the NAD C658. If I set the SHD vol to -10dB when using the Yamaha, I must remember to turn it down before using the SHD for music playback.

Top Bottom