• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C399 with BluOS-D Module vs. MiniDSP SHD + Buckeye 2-channel Hypex NC252MP Amp

adh2002

Hey everyone. I've found this website great over the years with lots of fantastic information. This is my first ever post and was looking for some advice on a 2 channel stereo I'm putting together. Eventually, it might morph into a 2.1 setup, but for now just a 2 channel setup. My room size is roughly 12x12 feet with 9 feet ceilings. I'm going to audition both the Revel M106 and Kef R3 (both are on sale right now), and I'm trying to determine what to pair them with. I'm going back and forth between the NAD C399 (with BluOS-D module) or a combination of a MiniDSP SHD and Buckeye Hypex NC252MP 2-channel amp. I like the idea of an integrated amp in that it's one box, and might be more pleasing to my wife. However, this is a fairly expensive unit so that is something I'm taking into consideration. On the flip side the MiniDSP SHD and Buckeye amp also seem like a good option. On the positive side the combo would be cheaper, but I will also be dealing with two units, and that could be less appealing to my wife. Clearly I haven't run this by my wife, and I will eventually do so. Until then, I'm looking for some general comments and if you all have a preference between the two setups? If anyone has played around with both I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks in advance.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just sayin': if you wife is likely to prefer the one-piece NAD vs. the two box solution, maybe you should just go for it.

As for price, the NAD is very competitive @ US$2000 vs. the miniDSP+Buckeye option @ $1300+$580=$1880. The NAD 399 accepts MDC modules that might be worthwhile e.g. for HDMI I/O.

As yet there is no ASR measurements for the NAD but there is reason to expect that they'd be pretty competitive too.

OP
A

adh2002

Thanks for your input! I was considering getting the NAD C399 with the MDC2 module for BluOS-D which increases the price to roughly $2500. Otherwise, agreed. Very similar in price if I wait on the MDC2 module. My thought was to get the module for the dirac live support. However, that brings up the question. Given my circumstances with the two different speakers I'm considering, will the dirac live provide that much benefit? I've read that it's great for room correction, so my thought is it would be a good feature to have.

Applesauce

I'm new here too and was just in the same boat. I've been running KEF R3 from Schiit separates for a year or so, and just brought home the C399 to simplify things.

I was considering the same other combo, but was swayed by the HDMI input (subjectively my TV optical out always sounds junky) and the integrated phono stage. I don't need surround but playing well with TV and the record collection we're important. Besides wanting to avoid three boxes, I also wasn't convinced the MiniDSP would be quite as user friendly.

My wife is happy, things sounds great, and so far no one has been unable to figure out what to do to what boxes to make sound come out, which used to be a regular occurrence.

I have maybe a tinge of buyers remorse because hey, grass is always greener, but honestly, I don't think you can go wrong selecting from that menu.

Curious where you landed.

OP
A

adh2002

I ended up going with the C-399 with the MDC2 BluOS-D module. I paired this with the Revel M106s, and I ended up getting a SVS 3000 Micro to help fill in the lower frequencies. The combo sounds great, and I have been very happy with the solution. I went back and forth between the M106s and R3s as they both sound great in my room. In the end picked the M106s as I got a better deal on them and they are smaller and fit the room better (WAF). It sounds like you have a nice setup, and things are working out well for you. Enjoy!

Alexx

Good morning.

I ask for advice, I have Dali Opticon 6 MKII speakers and a Nad C399 amplifier.

The midrange is a bit weak, I have the sensation of a small "hole"

Do you think if I put the BLuos module with Dirac I can solve this "void" in the medium frequencies?

I also saw that there is the free basic version for frequencies between 20Hz and 50OHz.

And Full 20Hz-20kHz version, enhancing not only the bass but also the high frequencies such as vocals and musical instruments.

Do you think I have to take the full paid version? (about 100 euros).

I don't know this "Dirac" software, I even thought about changing amplifier (Rotel RA-6000) or speakers to solve this problem.

I prefer to seek advice from you experts before making some mistakes and spending money unnecessarily.
Thanks in advance.

Geertidow

Most people are satisfied with correction below 500 hz (usually 300 hz). I use it up to 1000 hz. Just try and see!

Top Bottom