• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nad c399 vs nad c298 (Hypex vs purifi) which one have better sound quality and by how much %?

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
index.php
we might need this reaction added below the post, right next to the like button

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends on the musical genre: with rock the difference does not exceed 16.5%, with classical it can even reach 23-23.5%. (...)
Are these numbers valid before or after burn-in?

Because, it should be more likely 18.7% after 100 hours, and 19.9% after 500 hours. But yes, it should reach "23.5% better" at the end. I've been told even 25.1% when listening to Diana Krall.:p

Willem

Major Contributor
Both are sonically perfect, and there is nothing better than perfect, even if one measures better than the other. The only real effect would be amplifier power: more is better, and that may well be audible on some music.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Both are sonically perfect, and there is nothing better than perfect, even if one measures better than the other. The only real effect would be amplifier power: more is better, and that may well be audible on some music.
Hi i have now 3 options,
gray marked dealer, nad 399 price with bluos module around 2800$ with shipping , nad 298 + c658 around approximately with shipping 4000$ ,i also have option for nad m33 master series based on purifi based into the excel its under nad c399, it cost around 4400$ with some good discount and thats all what i should get..
time is running my friends, after 12 hours i will have the speakers and i will try to run the show with my jvc from 1980s...
not sure if i will like the sound ...

nad m33 is available in stock so i dont have to wait endless like with c399 , and c298 ,, but c399 and c298 are cheaper options...

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Andrew Robinson has a review on YT just FYI.
i watched him many times... and other youtube reviewers as well..
it doesnt help.
does Dirac limited badwitch worth it? Andrew claim all nad junky products sound sterille compared to marantz for example model 40 just an example?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it doesnt help.
At last, you're starting to figure out something...;)

Andrew Robinson has a review on YT just FYI
How is Andrew Robinson gonna help exactly? Oh, let me guess...
...the mids are blablabla, the highs are blablabla... If you're on the market, looking for a bargain, all-in-one integrated, then the C399 should definitely be on your short list...
Am I wrong? :p

Last edited:

Loooop

it doesnt help.
does Dirac limited badwitch worth it? Andrew claim all nad junky products sound sterille compared to marantz for example model 40 just an example?
Hi, bladest, sorry for the joke above.

My opinion: choose the amplifier that fits your budget, has the functions and the power you think you need and satisfies your aesthetic taste.

There are really no other variables involved, simply because, with the exception of some tube crap, there is no chance anyone will be able to distinguish the sound of such equipment in a well-designed double-blind test.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I'll make this generic comment from experience.... each marginal barely audible improvement, doubles the price at retail... (roughly, with some notable value exceptions)

For a "oh! that really sounds better!" experience... you need to go up about 3 to 5 "notches" (ie: double the price 3 to 5 times)

Another way of describing this, is exponentially diminishing returns - it costs enormous amounts once you get to an "adequate" level - to provide truly noticeable improvements.

Having said that - an economy "cheap" set of speakers and economy electronics can provide remarkable performance - the key being proper setup of the speakers - speakers are very very setup/room dependent.
Second issue is having an amp that provide sufficient power and current for the specific set of speakers.

A really well set up set of $500 speakers - will sound superb

A poorly set up set of $100,000 speakers will sound like rubbish

But all things being equal - my rule of thumb of double the price for each barely audible stepwise improvement has applied consistently for the last few decades....

(and yes, it is always worthwhile seeking out the exceptional bargains, those components that break the rule of thumb, and achieve better value!)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I'll make this generic comment from experience.... each marginal barely audible improvement, doubles the price at retail... (roughly, with some notable value exceptions)

For a "oh! that really sounds better!" experience... you need to go up about 3 to 5 "notches" (ie: double the price 3 to 5 times)

Another way of describing this, is exponentially diminishing returns - it costs enormous amounts once you get to an "adequate" level - to provide truly noticeable improvements.

Having said that - an economy "cheap" set of speakers and economy electronics can provide remarkable performance - the key being proper setup of the speakers - speakers are very very setup/room dependent.
Second issue is having an amp that provide sufficient power and current for the specific set of speakers.

A really well set up set of $500 speakers - will sound superb

A poorly set up set of $100,000 speakers will sound like rubbish

But all things being equal - my rule of thumb of double the price for each barely audible stepwise improvement has applied consistently for the last few decades....

(and yes, it is always worthwhile seeking out the exceptional bargains, those components that break the rule of thumb, and achieve better value!)

Mainly only applies to speakers. Electronics - even at lower price brackets is pretty much solved from an audibility perspective (once you get beyond the cheap toy designs). In fact many of the tests done here suggest worse quality from the high priced boutique items.

But even with speakers, please don't imply that higher cost is always higher quality. The more "flowery" the marketing, the less likely the high priced device is actually going to perform better. Speakers are also subject to audiophoolery.

In all cases, far far better to look at measurements as an indication of performance than price.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
End game is Purifi. Good enough is Hypex Ncore. Check out @Matias spreadsheet for all measured amplifiers and see how they compare.

Also, read my previous post:
I've had some doubt recently based on a thread (@restorer-john ?) showing Hypex boards' sub-optimal heat management. He did say Purifi was better. I have some confidence in his judgement on that.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Disagree. There's a bend in this curve where it goes negative. Consider the D'Agostino and Audio Note kilobuck amps that introduce distortion in order to achieve a non-transparent house curve. Amps probably top out at a couple thou, DACs considerably lower. Speakers...maaaybe. A lot of the high end designs seem like crap. A pair of blade metas is likely as good as it gets unless you have a HUGE room.

Top Bottom