• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nad c399 vs nad c298 (Hypex vs purifi) which one have better sound quality and by how much %?

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 51459

Good day great people, i am not a bot i am real human not very aware of hifi world, i wonder, Which one is better and is the king, and by how much better in terms of better sound quality percentage?

I am currently in the process of upgrading my setup and decided to go along the Class D route.
i am considering option A) NAD C399 all in one hypex ncore solution , or option b) purifi nad c298 power amp + nad c658 pre amp , if option b is better purifi amp, by how much better percentage is better i need to find out so i can justify is it worth the difference in terms of money and sound quality ....
The question is which one to choose, as without an ability to listen to each amp and not knowing the differences in sounding between purifi, hypex boards i am presented with a difficult decision. So have to ask for the common wisdom of the forum and current owners.

My current setup will be
KEF speakers r3
i will listen music from my 90s computer via aux or optical digital or i can do with network lan party from 1Gigabit network card. I listen to music mostly mp3 and flac i want high end i am audiophile my self, and i consider my self.
Thanks in advance.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

One is endgame. One is good enough (audibly). Pick one. Of course, you always pay more for endgame and that piece of mind.
Which one is end game and how many %%%% better in sound audio quality compared to others i spoken with dealership they cant provide me this information so i dont know.
i cant listen to them as well.. and i will buy without been able to listen to any of them.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
End game is Purifi. Good enough is Hypex Ncore. Check out @Matias spreadsheet for all measured amplifiers and see how they compare.

Also, read my previous post:

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

End game is Purifi. Good enough is Hypex Ncore. Check out @Matias spreadsheet for all measured amplifiers and see how they compare.

Also, read my previous post:
Thanks but again how much is difference between them in percentage in terms of audio quality is it 50% ,5% or less or more? is it worth the money since purifi solution is 2x more expensive

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks but again how much is difference between them in percentage in terms of audio quality is it 50% ,5% or less or more? is it worth the money since purifi solution is 2x more expensive
There is no rating by percentage of how much one is better than the other. That rating simply does not exist.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

So no dynamic difference or anything, no benefit going with purifi at all?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my opinion, the largest return would be to add a sub, thorough room treatment, room EQ, better speakers... And only then upgrading an excellent amp to another excellent amp.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So no dynamic difference or anything, no benefit going with purifi at all?
The Hypex is apparently built to a high standard and has the power and sound output to match. The Purifi is built to a slightly higher standard and it costs a lot more to get to that level of integrity and quality because the Hypex is already so good. Both are good but the Purifi is for the serious buyer that wants the best offering even if it costs a lot more for about the same sound quality. If you have lots of money and want the very best then buy the Purifi and if you want to save a little and get near the same sound then buy the Hypex. Both are the best offering we have available to us. There is nothing that can match either of them.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

The Hypex is apparently built to a high standard and has the power and sound output to match. The Purifi is built to a slightly higher standard and it costs a lot more to get to that level of integrity and quality because the Hypex is already so good. Both are good but the Purifi is for the serious buyer that wants the best offering even if it costs a lot more for about the same sound quality. If you have lots of money and want the very best then buy the Purifi and if you want to save a little and get near the same sound then buy the Hypex. Both are the best offering we have available to us. There is nothing that can match either of them.
The thing is i will upgrade my speakers in the future may be i will add sub or other things and i dont want to sale my current amp and buy another one...
i think purifi is better long term investment , when hypex is short term...
i really want the best offering.
In terms of sound quality no one can make a difference between purifi and hypex ,etcs?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and by how much better in terms of better sound quality percentage?
how many %%%% better in sound audio quality compared to others i spoken with dealership they cant provide me this information
how much is difference between them in percentage in terms of audio quality is it 50% ,5% or less or more?
This very concept is not even a thing. Never was, never will.

Seriously, do you really think that there is any kind of existing standard out there, that tells "x amp audio quality = x percent"? Who invented it? Who evaluates it?

Please... :facepalm:

i am not a bot i am real human
Very weird way to introduce a thread...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Here’s my order of priority:
Speakers + subs (ideally 2 or more) -> Room Treatment -> DSP/Room Correction -> Amplifier -> DAC

I didn't look at the specs of the NAD units mentioned, but do they have any room correction? That's more important than the choice of Hypex vs Purifi.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

You're asking for simple numeric answers to complex questions.

<0.02% THD on C399. <0.0005 % on the C298. Thus 3900% more distortion in the C399. Does that inform your choice in any way?
Not really but there is around 1500$ more for the purifi cost, so i want to know if its lets say almost 1 time and half good/better... if its simply 5-10-20% i need to consider it.

Both nad units have room correction with Dirac yes.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Those bots got the several answers but keep nagging on with the same question but also in a slightly different form.
f****g irritating, although i could be wrong and there are just irritating people.

thulle

Not really but there is around 1500$ more for the purifi cost, so i want to know if its lets say almost 1 time and half good/better... if its simply 5-10-20% i need to consider it.

Both nad units have room correction with Dirac yes.
Well, the C399 is 3900% worse. But it's a bit like if a piece of candy cost you 4 cent instead of 0,1. Does it matter?

Top Bottom