• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C268 Power Amplifier Review

alpha_logic

I was wondering about the B6.2s and this amp also, as I have a pair.

They are 6 Ohms and elsewhere in this thread it has been suggested the C268 has a 4 Ohm limit.

Does the C368 have the same?

Would anyone warn against ignoring the 4 Ohm limit and pairing a C268 and the Debut B6.2s?

Cheers.
I have a c268 - I run this amp under 'extreme conditions', and have paired it with speakers that dip well below 4 ohms, and driven it for hours on end to ear deafening levels - you should have no problems whatsoever.

sacguy231

I've now had this c268 for a few months, it's been a great performer. Runs cool, noise floor is low enough, and seems to have ample power to drive my Polk LSIM 705 with authority. I really like the ability to use single-ended or balanced, and particularly like the ability to adjust input level. I'm running it off my McIntosh C712 preamp which has a variable loudness control that I enjoy. The ability to attenuate the input level on the c268 is great - at full input my preamp only had a little range to adjust the volume before it was too loud. By attenuating the input level on the NAD, it allows me to have a better range of volume control on the McIntosh. I've had a number of amps in the last few years and this one sounds nice and neutral to my ears, for what that's worth.

NgtFlyer

I have an NAD C368, purchased just over two years ago. It drives a pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 bookshelf speakers. I am very happy with this amp and the sound that my setup produces. I am a music listener first and foremost - I don't "listen to equipment" in normal practice. However, when listening to favorite music, the system puts a smile on my face, and that's what is important.
Ample power, very clean clear sound, neutral.

mata7

hi guys can someone please explain me like I'm 3 years old this, i have a Anthem STR Preamp, I'm planning to get 2 Nad C268 to use as bridge mode, how exactly do I connect everything, i read the manual and I got little confused, thanks in advanced

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's usually the flick of a switch or a jumper, then the use of only two out of the four terminals. Most of the time those terminals are marked accordingly.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mata7

it goes like this just want to make sure, set the amps to Bridge mode position
connect XLR Cables from my STR Preamp to C268A and C268B Left Bridge Mono XLR Input
connect Left speakers cable to C268A L+ and R-
connect Right speakers cable to C268B L+ and R-

this sound right?

thanks for the help

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it goes like this just want to make sure, set the amps to Bridge mode position
connect XLR Cables from my STR Preamp to C268A and C268B Left Bridge Mono XLR Input
connect Left speakers cable to C268A L+ and R-
connect Right speakers cable to C268B L+ and R-

this sound right?

thanks for the help
Sounds right.

yavormoskov

I've now had this c268 for a few months, it's been a great performer. Runs cool, noise floor is low enough, and seems to have ample power to drive my Polk LSIM 705 with authority. I really like the ability to use single-ended or balanced, and particularly like the ability to adjust input level. I'm running it off my McIntosh C712 preamp which has a variable loudness control that I enjoy. The ability to attenuate the input level on the c268 is great - at full input my preamp only had a little range to adjust the volume before it was too loud. By attenuating the input level on the NAD, it allows me to have a better range of volume control on the McIntosh. I've had a number of amps in the last few years and this one sounds nice and neutral to my ears, for what that's worth.
I have Polk 703s and wonder about this amp. I really value the extended bass response of these speakers. Do you think this amp deliver good quality and quantity of bass? And second, does it turn on automatically when a signal is detected from the inputs? Or I need to turn it on manually?

silver12

Jus recived NAD c268, very happy...please for info, what is best to use fixed or gain control...does have any impact to sound...what is best? (just read some XTZ suggest, to turn gain control to highest point for best sound..) Thank you...(I run trough Audiloba MDAC+ Polk r200)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Jus recived NAD c268, very happy...please for info, what is best to use fixed or gain control...does have any impact to sound...what is best? (just read some XTZ suggest, to turn gain control to highest point for best sound..) Thank you...(I run trough Audiloba MDAC+ Polk r200)

In general, and in theory, fixed (or maximum if only adjustable control is provided) is the best. Again, that's just based on "impact" on paper, whether you would perceive a difference in sound quality will depend on how well the relevant specifications of the devices match with each other.

silver12

In general, and in theory, fixed (or maximum if only adjustable control is provided) is the best. Again, that's just based on "impact" on paper, whether you would perceive a difference in sound quality will depend on how well the relevant specifications of the devices match with each other.
Thank you, will try booth options...

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i would not consider NAD to be the paragon of reliabilty

BUT $900 for 80w for what this does with this level of features isnt the worst deal in the world

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD can be hit or miss on reliability. I have two rock solid units, a 1600 pre and a C272 amp that never gave me a moment of trouble. The 1600 is 30+ years old.

Christoph-ASR

I previously had a C 328 that had the same Hypex module. After half a year, the led that shows the source became darker and darker, the one that is currently in use. Again half a year later, the right channel came on a minute later, longer and longer. Gave it back to the dealer.

SubPar

Sorry, realize this is a years-old thread, but I recently discovered this site and wanted to piggyback off the ASR's collective wisdom as it relates to recommendations for my new system.

I'm a newb, so take it easy on me. I recently upgraded from an entry-level/budget 3.1 system (DefTech SM55s, ProCenter 2000) to something a bit more capable (but still 3.1) and have been exploring the need/practicality of supplementing my AVR with a powered amp.

Current System:
-Focal Aria 936 towers
-Focal Aria CC900 center
-Polk PSW-505 sub (will be upgraded to a SVS SB-2000 Pro in the coming months)
-Onkyo TX-RZ50

Use case is a 60/40 split of home theater to music. Music preferences vary widely -- rock, hip-hop, alternative, Disney soundtracks with the daughter, etc. Likely to add surround speakers in the future, though not on the immediate road map. I understand the 936's can drop to sub-3ohm impedance, so wondering if those are going start giving the AVR issues with spirited listening. For that reason, I started researching whether a 2-channel powered amp would be prudent to drive the towers, and came across the NAD C268 as a potential option when perusing Crutchfield. Idea here being Onkyo amp handles center channel, NAD handles towers.

-Is this an advisable route?
-Is piecemealing amps a bad idea for non-stereo listening?
-Is the NAD C268 relevant in 2023/2024, or are there other sub-$1,000 offerings I should be considering?
-Would going an integrated amp route be okay, even though there'd be some duplicative functionality with the Onkyo?
-What else am I not thinking about that I should be?

I've looked at all sorts of stuff -- Arcam SA20, Emotiva BasX A3 (for a three-channel option), etc. -- and it's information overload. Hoping the fine folks here can help distill it down for me.

I'm in the Midwest, USA if that matters.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, realize this is a years-old thread, but I recently discovered this site and wanted to piggyback off the ASR's collective wisdom as it relates to recommendations for my new system.

I'm a newb, so take it easy on me. I recently upgraded from an entry-level/budget 3.1 system (DefTech SM55s, ProCenter 2000) to something a bit more capable (but still 3.1) and have been exploring the need/practicality of supplementing my AVR with a powered amp.

Current System:
-Focal Aria 936 towers
-Focal Aria CC900 center
-Polk PSW-505 sub (will be upgraded to a SVS SB-2000 Pro in the coming months)
-Onkyo TX-RZ50

Use case is a 60/40 split of home theater to music. Music preferences vary widely -- rock, hip-hop, alternative, Disney soundtracks with the daughter, etc. Likely to add surround speakers in the future, though not on the immediate road map. I understand the 936's can drop to sub-3ohm impedance, so wondering if those are going start giving the AVR issues with spirited listening. For that reason, I started researching whether a 2-channel powered amp would be prudent to drive the towers, and came across the NAD C268 as a potential option when perusing Crutchfield. Idea here being Onkyo amp handles center channel, NAD handles towers.

-Is this an advisable route?
-Is piecemealing amps a bad idea for non-stereo listening?
-Is the NAD C268 relevant in 2023/2024, or are there other sub-$1,000 offerings I should be considering?
-Would going an integrated amp route be okay, even though there'd be some duplicative functionality with the Onkyo?
-What else am I not thinking about that I should be?

I've looked at all sorts of stuff -- Arcam SA20, Emotiva BasX A3 (for a three-channel option), etc. -- and it's information overload. Hoping the fine folks here can help distill it down for me.

I'm in the Midwest, USA if that matters.
I’d advise testing with “spirited listening” before doing any more equipment research. Sometimes we read audio blogs and imagine we might have problems that we really do not. If you don’t hear distortion in your torture tests, don’t worry.

If you do hear distortion, let’s discuss those options.

Top Bottom