• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C268 Power Amplifier Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hhmmm... what is better at $900 ?

Other than bridged, how about a 7 channel Denon AVR for $500. (X3500). Way more power and features that result in far better sound quality.

Otherwise, the Outlaw M2200...2 for $700, 3 for $999, also with a lot more power outside of bridged mode.

Also the Monolith 2 channel is $999 with far more power and better performance.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This also shows that a recommended Class D amp doesn't quite perform as well as an Accuphase Class AB integrated amp. You gain a lot of performance for the money, of course, but it does show that if you already have a good Class AB amp, it's not that critical to switch to a new-fangled digital amp.

digicidal

Major Contributor
For $600, you can go the monoblock route with a pair of Emotiva PA-1’s, Would like to see it measured.
I'd love to see it measured as well. I love mine... nice and simple, cheap and cool, and very compact and light. Sure there are some drawbacks (theoretically) over a AB topology... but I forget all about those when I pick one of the PA-1's up!

I could run a marathon carrying 3 of those... but I've blown my back out just pulling my XPA-3 out of the rack to check connections. o_O

Generally speaking however, the IcePower modules are a bit behind... so I'd guess the PA-1 wouldn't be any better (re Nad C268) - likely a bit worse in some areas. On the other hand... I apparently don't listen critically to any of those areas. LOL.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Good review @amirm

So what's with the blue negative binding posts? Is that some new EU mandated directive I don't know about or is it an indication they are not actually sitting at chassis earth. Notice the BTL connection- that means one amp is out of phase/polarity with the other in normal operation- BTL is taken from the two hots otherwise. (they also did that with the old 2200 to maximize power supply use)

1592952694600.png

PS. That also explains your strange crosstalk result. It's actually an artificial "near state of the art" figure in mid frequencies because the common, but inverted signal is simply cancelling the signal in the other channel.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Good review @amirm

So what's with the blue negative binding posts? Is that some new EU mandated directive I don't know about or is it an indication they are not actually sitting at chassis earth. Notice the BTL connection- that means one amp is out of phase with the other in normal operation- BTL is taken from the two hots otherwise. (they did that with the old 2200)

View attachment 70392

PS. That also explains your strange crosstalk result.
I googled those blue binding posts and found no details regarding a colour code or anything like that. I suspect it is a off colour simply to get the users attention.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I googled those blue binding posts and found no details regarding a colour code or anything like that. I suspect it is a off colour simply to get the users attention.

It's likely to mean neutral, but not actual earth (or 0v). For multi speaker installations and speaker switch panels, especially ones that switch only the hots, you'd run into trouble with shorted amplifier outputs otherwise.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's likely to mean neutral, but not actual earth (or 0v). For multi speaker installations and speaker switch panels, especially ones that switch only the hots, you'd run into trouble with shorted amplifier outputs otherwise.
I wish there were some standard for such amplifiers. Labeling amps red and black has caused plenty of troubles when they really are differential outputs. Like when people use the speaker input to a subwoofer from one of these. Ouch!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If blue draws attention to the "negative" not being or possibly not at 0V/chassis, that's good thing. Perhaps it is a new defacto standard? Personally, I like it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So what's with the blue negative binding posts?

My 15 year old Krells, with differential outputs have red and blue for the colors.

Monoblock below, one channel, with facility for biwiring

1592954833656.png

My other two amps, even older, just have red and black.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My 15 year old Krells, with differential outputs have red and blue for the colors.

Your Krells aren't bridged, but they do float the negative above and not connected to the chassis.

1592955345913.png

Funny, I've seen blue (-) terminals but never really considered why. Now we know. You learn something every day.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom