• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C268 Power Amplifier Review

Hmanaz

Sorry, realize this is a years-old thread, but I recently discovered this site and wanted to piggyback off the ASR's collective wisdom as it relates to recommendations for my new system.

I'm a newb, so take it easy on me. I recently upgraded from an entry-level/budget 3.1 system (DefTech SM55s, ProCenter 2000) to something a bit more capable (but still 3.1) and have been exploring the need/practicality of supplementing my AVR with a powered amp.

Current System:
-Focal Aria 936 towers
-Focal Aria CC900 center
-Polk PSW-505 sub (will be upgraded to a SVS SB-2000 Pro in the coming months)
-Onkyo TX-RZ50

Use case is a 60/40 split of home theater to music. Music preferences vary widely -- rock, hip-hop, alternative, Disney soundtracks with the daughter, etc. Likely to add surround speakers in the future, though not on the immediate road map. I understand the 936's can drop to sub-3ohm impedance, so wondering if those are going start giving the AVR issues with spirited listening. For that reason, I started researching whether a 2-channel powered amp would be prudent to drive the towers, and came across the NAD C268 as a potential option when perusing Crutchfield. Idea here being Onkyo amp handles center channel, NAD handles towers.

-Is this an advisable route?
-Is piecemealing amps a bad idea for non-stereo listening?
-Is the NAD C268 relevant in 2023/2024, or are there other sub-$1,000 offerings I should be considering?
-Would going an integrated amp route be okay, even though there'd be some duplicative functionality with the Onkyo?
-What else am I not thinking about that I should be?

I've looked at all sorts of stuff -- Arcam SA20, Emotiva BasX A3 (for a three-channel option), etc. -- and it's information overload. Hoping the fine folks here can help distill it down for me.

I'm in the Midwest, USA if that matters.
@SubPar I realize this was a few months ago. Just wanted to say that you can typically find these NADC268s for around 500 lightly used. 2 of these would easily drive your Focal Aria’s. I started with one and then purchased another when I saw it pop up on tmraudio recently. There might be better DIY type options out there based on the specs but I haven’t tried them and I can say I’m very very happy with the cost/value equation for these AMPs. The gain controls and XLR inputs along with 12V triggers make these work perfectly for my setup.

Top Bottom