• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier

Alexx

220 / 5.000

Risultati della traduzione​

I ordered another 399 (I don't really like the rotel) I hope everything is fine, I don't need Dirac. I ask you if the 399 is qualitatively and musically superior to the previous 388 (388 unobtainable). Thanks.

wjvs1983

@wjvs1983:
My experience:

I took a Nad 368 and I was fine, very warm and not annoying mid-high range, to have more power I changed with the new 399 but with the 399 it was very bad.

It made noises on / off when I navigate the menu, plus the subwoofer output is so low that it didn't switch on the B&W active subwoofer. the sound was very musical and warm (pleasant even after hours of listening)

After 1 month they could not understand the problem they told me that it is probably necessary to update the firmware but they did not have any updates from Nad ..... after two months I made the Return.

I took the Rotl 1592MKII but unfortunately I don't like it, it has too loud mid / high range to bother the ears.

I am thinking of getting another Nad amp, but the 388 model (older and more tested) I hope it sounds as good as the 368 and 399.

I like the Nad sound as much as you do, I just don't know what to do, the 399 has given me too many problems (I don't even need the bluos module, it would be useless waste of money).

Marantz model 40N likes it but I think that the power of only 70wat per channel is too little, consider that we come from much more powerful amplifiers.

I don't know the other brands, I can't tell if they have a warm and non-tiring sound.

I hope I was useful, let's see if some other users can help us more.
Thanks, see you soon.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I am still on the fence on what to do. May decide to send my c390dd back for repairs again and see what the damage would be. Would be the 3rd time in 3 years time and I don’t want to turn this into an annual routine.

pogo

Major Contributor
NAD is working on the teething problems. After several updates, my M33 has now finally reached a state that makes it the best choice for me.
Sonically the C399 is very good and I would take in only with Dirac Live, because you can also compensate for deficits of speaker and adjust to your own taste.
I would always switch a subwoofer via the trigger output.

wjvs1983

Today I went to a dealer to have a listen at the c399 and some alternatives such as the Marantz 40n and Lyngdorf tdai 1120.

In my ears the c399 blew the others out of the water on the B&W 702 loudspeakers it was connected to.

The Marantz sounded more hollow and the Lyngdorf seemed to exaggerate certain sounds. Perhaps not fully controlling the speakers. I was hoping the difference wouldn’t be that massive so I could try a different brand.

However the C399 doesn’t seem to be available for a long time as it was on back order. They tried selling me the C568/C268 combination instead. Or even the c298 which would total much more expensively.

Last but not least they tried selling me a m33 at 1000 euro discount, which seems to be an ex demo unit. It may have been interesting if that’s what I had in mind budget wise.

Alexx

@pogo:
Hai ragione Nad è un ottimo amplificatore, ho questo marchio da oltre 20 anni e ora mi piace molto il suo suono.

Sicuramente il 399 è più evoluto del 388 (ormai introvabile, mi hanno detto che il 388 non sa se verrà prodotto di nuovo).

Per ora lo prendo senza bluos visto che avrò più soldi lo comprerò a parte.

@Wjvs1938:

Grazie mille per queste informazioni e sono felice che tu abbia preferito il suono Nad anche sul Marantz Model 40N (non ero sicuro se prenderlo o meno).

Vi dico che ho ordinato il 399 e dovrebbe arrivare in una settimana (uno disponibile a magazzino) mi hanno detto che non è stato rilasciato alcun aggiornamento software, quindi avrò gli stessi problemi che avevo con il precedente (lo so che è non rotto) e cercherò di risolverli come abbiamo detto collegando il cavo trigger to the subwoofer ecc.

Mi dispiace aver restituito il Rotel (come costruzione è un tank rispetto al Nad) ma il tono del suono aveva qualcosa che non mi piaceva era stancante dopo pochi minuti di ascolto.

Spero non dipenda anche dai diffusori che ho (Dali Opticon6 MKII) che forse sono troppo aperti nella gamma medio-alta...

Comunque Nad ha un suono più caldo del Rotel, non ci resta che aspettare e riprovare più tardi vi dico (speriamo di non dover cambiare anche i diffusori!).

Sugli altri forum ho letto che accoppiato Nad e Dali sembra fantastico che molti utenti lo facciano.
Vi farò sapere al più presto, grazie per le preziose informazioni che mi date.

pogo

Major Contributor
(speriamo di non dover cambiare anche i diffusori!).
But before you do that, get the Dirac Live upgrade and everything should be fine;)

panther

Today I went to a dealer to have a listen at the c399 and some alternatives such as the Marantz 40n and Lyngdorf tdai 1120.

In my ears the c399 blew the others out of the water on the B&W 702 loudspeakers it was connected to.

The Marantz sounded more hollow and the Lyngdorf seemed to exaggerate certain sounds. Perhaps not fully controlling the speakers. I was hoping the difference wouldn’t be that massive so I could try a different brand.

However the C399 doesn’t seem to be available for a long time as it was on back order. They tried selling me the C568/C268 combination instead. Or even the c298 which would total much more expensively.

Last but not least they tried selling me a m33 at 1000 euro discount, which seems to be an ex demo unit. It may have been interesting if that’s what I had in mind budget wise.
Interesting your findings on the 1120. One thing I have found is I do feel it's now lacking a bit of power since I went from Dali Menuet SE to Elac Carina FS in my room. There is a C399 pre owned in Canada as well as a couple places have open box units so thats nice to hear it drove those speakers well.
I had been pretty close to just getting a Quad Vena II or Audiolab 6000a for the Menuets up in my dining room but I might just keep them paired to the 1120.

Alexx

@pogo: Thanks.
Is it possible to cancel the Dirac's sound setting? (in case I don't like it if there is a chance to go back).
Does Diract only work with the exact bluos module?

Is the microphone included?
Thank you.

@panther: The 399 has good dynamics and power, and is equipped with components from the "Master" line

The thing that struck me is that at very high volume it does not have the slightest distortion (with the previous one I happened to turn it on with the volume at 90%!).

With other amplifiers the sound was distracting and distorted.
Thank you in advance.

pogo

Major Contributor
Is it possible to cancel the Dirac's sound setting? (in case I don't like it if there is a chance to go back).
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

wjvs1983

The thing that struck me is that at very high volume it does not have the slightest distortion (with the previous one I happened to turn it on with the volume at 90%!).

This is also dangerous to your ears. If you get used to too loud music, at some point the high notes will start to disappear and you'll keep cranking it up even further!

panther

@pogo: Thanks.

Thank you.

@panther: The 399 has good dynamics and power, and is equipped with components from the "Master" line

Thank you in advance.
I am Just torn how much I should care about turning up the volume. I’m used to the lyngdorf being plenty at -15db volume with my Dali Menuet svs having to get t
around -9db with the Carina floorstanders. Maybe I shouldn’t care as it’s still playing enough. I talked to one place and they said not to consider an integrated amp for the ELac Carina and go with a c298 power amp. I just don’t have room in my stand for more equipment nor do I really wanna add more furniture if I was going separates.

Alexx

@pantera:
La cosa grandiosa del 399 è che ha un buon controllo del volume.

Per fare un esempio con il Rotel già al 50% era molto alto mentre il Nad fino al 60% è ancora molto maneggevole e amichevole.

Non credo sia un discorso di potenza ma di come è gestito il volume, molto più equilibrato nel Nad.

Non credo che dovresti avere problemi con gli altoparlanti Dali.

Alexx

Good morning.

I have just received the Nad 399 (model 388 they confirmed to me that it is no longer produced).

I ask you for advice because the letters "S" "C" "Z" Etc. (like a badly tuned radio station) tend to hiss on the voices.

This was also present on the Rotel 1592 but in a different way, I thought the Nad with a warmer sound did not have this "problem"

Not sure if it's the probable amplifier Rega Musical Fidelity or other brands that sound hotter are better? (but I can't buy a third! I have yet to sell the Rotel ...).

Or in your opinion it may depend on the "Dali OPticon6 MKII" speakers

I remember that with el Kef R300 I didn't pay attention to this thing.

What do you suggest? does yours on "S" "C" "Z" have this dirty sound too? with music it goes very well.
Thank you in advance.

pogo

Major Contributor
This is probably also due to the speaker used and should be correctable with DL.

spyne

What do you suggest? does yours on "S" "C" "Z" have this dirty sound too? with music it goes very well.
What is your full signal chain and do you notice this flaw for all inputs and at all volumes?

Alexx

Amplificatore Nad 399 Denon 720 AE CD player (preferisco l'audio con cavo ottico).

Cavo di alimentazione oehlbach SP 40 (con il furutech Alpha S14 è troppo luminoso).
Accordatore meccanico.

Cavo RCA Monster

Sento questo "fastidio" su ogni sorgente in particolare sulle voci, in musica non incontro questo problema.

Leggermente più alto con FM Tuner.

Mi sembra strano che entrambi gli amplificatori esibiscano questo... forse il Dali Tweeter?
Grazie per i vostri suggerimenti.

spyne

If you experienced the same problem with both amps, it may be to do with the speakers, or the acoustics of your listening space.
You could try borrowing a traditionally "warm" amp from a friend perhaps, but "warm" amps typically have a very early roll-off in the top end and this may just hide the issue you're hearing.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good morning.

I have just received the Nad 399 (model 388 they confirmed to me that it is no longer produced).

I ask you for advice because the letters "S" "C" "Z" Etc. (like a badly tuned radio station) tend to hiss on the voices.

This was also present on the Rotel 1592 but in a different way, I thought the Nad with a warmer sound did not have this "problem"

Not sure if it's the probable amplifier Rega Musical Fidelity or other brands that sound hotter are better? (but I can't buy a third! I have yet to sell the Rotel ...).

Or in your opinion it may depend on the "Dali OPticon6 MKII" speakers

I remember that with el Kef R300 I didn't pay attention to this thing.

Thank you in advance.
Amps at this level, especially the NAD don’t have a sound, this is a myth, purely subjective and doesn’t hold up in ABX Tests. This has been debunked a zillion times.

Also remember, room and speakers contribute by orders of magnitude more to the sound you perceive and not the electronics.

So unless you want to spent a lot of time with most likely no result, get your measurement mic out and run a frequency sweep. Only then you can be sure from where to start with reposition your speakers, toe in, applying Dirac room correction or even apply a preference curve, which rolls of the highs a bit. This way you can control the „warmth“ in a controlled and quantifiable way, instead of arbitrarily chasing alleged warm sounding amps based on the subjective opinions of others. My 2 cents. Good luck.

Alexx

Thank you guys.

Actually the problem / annoyance is only on some letters (as mentioned the S-T-Z-C) that are overpainted-dirty-sibilant.

If the amplifier was a problem it would be brilliant and annoying on the whole range, even the musical one (see Yamaha which is very cold and annoying for my taste) while Nad is musically exceptional and also vocally unless there are certain conditions.

I think it depends on the Dalis.

I borrowed my rotel 1592 from the shopkeeper today I try it in my acsa next to the Nad so with the direct confropnto we have a more important feedback to understand.

In case as a "hot" amp to try which brand do you suggest? (although I doubt it depends on him).

@spyne:
As a "hot" amp to prove what brand you suggest (although I doubt it's up to him) if I can find one for test, even though Nad I don't think it's that cold right? especially when compared to Rotel.

@ Harmonic THD:
What do you mean by Nad has no sound? is it a bad non-music product? sorry but I have problems with the translator but I would like to understand if it is an acceptable machine or to be avoided.

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom