• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier

D

Deleted member 22141

I did look at the SHD, but sadly it is over $2000 to get one landed here in Australia.
I've also had...uninspiring experiences with Volumio in the past, so being locked into that software for streaming gives me pause.

Although I'm not the biggest Roon fan, you can use that as the front end for the miniDSP too.

Otherwise I think the C399 is the best of those 3 because:
1. Has more power (a bit) than the Evo150, and (a lot) 40n.
2. Has Dirac Live on board which neither of the others have.
3. Has BluOS which is significantly better than the CA and Heos software.

There is one other system to have a look at - the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120, which is down on power (though better than the Marantz) and an older DAC, probably doesn't measure particularly well, but it does have the Lyngdorf Roomperfect DSP which is very good. I tested it and preferred Dirac Live, but it's an entry into the Lyngdorf stack.

Alexx

Non so se può aiutarti.

Io dopo la brutta esperienza con iol 399 (avevo preso un modello difettoso) ho risolto con il Rotel RA 1592 MKII

Un'altra cosa, nessun rumore, sibilo di sottofondo, urti sugli altoparlanti... il subwoofer è controllato perfettamente.

Tienilo in considerazione, ha un costo maggiore ma merita attenzione.

Manca il modulo "bluos" ma anche su Nad è venduto separatamente.
Un saluto.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ENG

Forum Donor

Alexx

Good morning guys.
I ask you if you can tell me if Nad 399 has solved the various problems and has released a software update.

Remember that mine made continuous noises when switching on - switching off, when switching source and above all it could not make the subwoofer switch on because the output was so low do not let it activate.

After a month I returned it, can you tell if now it can also control the subwoofer without moodulo bluos? (firmware update had to be released for this).

I currently have a Rotel 15992 MKII but it sounds too bright in the high frequencies (Amplifier Nad should it sound warmer exactly?).
Thanks in advance for the help.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good morning guys.
I ask you if you can tell me if Nad 399 has solved the various problems and has released a software update.

Remember that mine made continuous noises when switching on - switching off, when switching source and above all it could not make the subwoofer switch on because the output was so low do not let it activate.

After a month I returned it, can you tell if now it can also control the subwoofer without moodulo bluos? (firmware update had to be released for this).

I currently have a Rotel 15992 MKII but it sounds too bright in the high frequencies (Amplifier Nad should it sound warmer exactly?).
If it sounds too bright for your liking, start with the built in room correction system (ie. Dirac eg. roll off the highs) This way you have precise control of the sound in your room with your speakers and not having to rely on (mostly) unfounded hearsay how an Amp sounds (subjectively to someone else, with their preferences, their speakers and in their rooms). Most Amps (including the NAD399) nowadays (except the bad exceptions) pretty much sound neutral and their influence on sound is mostly overrated compared to room and speakers. (See the many FAQs and articles in the References Library in this forum and the underlying data and research).

Last edited:

Alexx

Se suona troppo brillante per i tuoi gusti, inizia con il sistema di correzione ambientale integrato (ad es. Dirac, ad es. abbassa gli alti). In questo modo hai un controllo preciso del suono nella tua stanza con i tuoi altoparlanti e non devi fare affidamento su ( per lo più) dicerie infondate su come suona un amplificatore (soggettivamente a qualcun altro, con le sue preferenze, i suoi altoparlanti e nelle sue stanze). La maggior parte degli amplificatori (incluso il NAD399) al giorno d'oggi (tranne le cattive eccezioni) suonano praticamente neutri e la loro influenza sul suono è per lo più sopravvalutata rispetto alla stanza e agli altoparlanti. (Vedi le numerose domande frequenti e gli articoli nella Libreria dei riferimenti in questo forum e i dati e le ricerche sottostanti).

Ciao grazie per la risposta.

il Rotel 1592 MkII non ha correzione ambientale.
Per questo chiedo se Nad Amplifier ha messo a disposizione l'aggiornamento del firmware che doveva risolvere questi problemi che ho precedentemente menzionato.

L'Amp Nad, se ricordo bene, ha un suono più caldo del Rotel e dovrebbe essere più piacevole nelle alte frequenze.

Se i problemi sono stati risolti sto pensando di cambiare il Rotel per il Nad.
Puoi confermare.
Grazie

Alexx

Good morning.

I ask again if you can tell me if Nad 399 has updated the firmware.

If you can now control the Sub Woofer output crossover without the bluos module (pretty much the same thing that the Nad 368 and 388 does).

If now it is possible to increase the db on subwoofer output (previously too low and the subwoofer did not turn on).
Thanks.

Alexx

Thanks a lot for the link.

In fact, nothing has been resolved even for 399 ...

Do you think he felt he had to take the Nad 388? saving 250 euros.

HDMI input will never serve me, as well as the Bluos module and the streamer, they would all be useless for me.

How acoustic quality does the 388 compare to the 399? I give up 30 Wat per channel but if the audio quality is comparable to me it's just fine (some time ago I had the 368 and I liked it a lot, I changed it for the 399 but I had to return it because it didn't work).

I would not like to make a risky choice, so I ask for advice from you more experts.

Alexx

@pogo: Grazie.

Ma non ho capito se il nuovo firmware per il Nad 399 è stato rilasciato oppure no?

C'è qualche utente che può dirlo?

In termini di qualità e assetto acustico, pensi che ci sia molta differenza tra il 388 e il 399? quale pensi sia più caldo ed equilibrato sulle alte frequenze?
Grazie in anticipo.

JohnnyZeroSix

All the controls are the same but in a slightly different arrangement. I'm sure the web interface and the PC/Android interface will be using the same Webservice API underneath.

View attachment 185624
Is this from the Master Series? I received a C399 in UK on April 1st, and it only shows as far as the Crossover option. I’m investigating a possible Subwoofer output bug related to the Analogue Bypass feature.

Alexx

@JonnyZeroSix: If you don't have bluos module I think you can't do anything for the subwoofer (I had the same problem)

This is why I ask if the firmware had been updated in order to access the menu even without the module.

I am also evaluating the Nad 388, a I don't know if it has the same tone and warm sound of the 399.
Soon.

pogo

Major Contributor
Is this from the Master Series? I received a C399 in UK on April 1st, and it only shows as far as the Crossover option.
This is the screen when you have BluOS installed.

pogo

Major Contributor
Try another BluOS app (PC/MAC or ANDROID/IOS). Which one did you use? Maybe you can scroll down.

wjvs1983

After 10 years with the first gen c390dd and the past 5 years a lot of issues with it requiring half its cost in repairs I am sick and tired of the device and looking for a replacement. My issue is that feature and power wise I keep coming back to this c399, even though my experience with its early predecessor is far from great.

Looking at the enclosure and connectors (eg speaker terminals) it seems a cheaper built quality. I guess nobody is able to say anything about the longevity, but the upgradeabikity with MDC seems more like a marketing prank than anything else.

I have been looking at:
- Lyngdorf TDAI-1120: Seems a bit underpowered and the amp appears to be so so. DSP is appealing.
- Marantz 40n seems to be built like a tank but HEOS seems to be a step backwards. Seems a bit underpowered.
- Linn Majik DSM/4 seems to be a good candidate but expensive.
- NAIM Uniti atom: Seems underpowered for floorstanders, also quite expensive.
- Cambridge Audio evo 150: seems to be a suitable candidate but also hearing about teething problems being their first attempt.

I already own a Bluesound Node so having streaming built in is not a must have. Key for me is HDMI connectivity as I would like to integrate it in my TV setup as well.

Either way, price and feature wise the c399 seems very appealing but main worry is that in 5 years time I own a black unresponsive brick again.

Anyone able to bust these myths or have any good alternative ideas?

Alexx

@wjvs1983:
My experience:

I took a Nad 368 and I was fine, very warm and not annoying mid-high range, to have more power I changed with the new 399 but with the 399 it was very bad.

It made noises on / off when I navigate the menu, plus the subwoofer output is so low that it didn't switch on the B&W active subwoofer. the sound was very musical and warm (pleasant even after hours of listening)

After 1 month they could not understand the problem they told me that it is probably necessary to update the firmware but they did not have any updates from Nad ..... after two months I made the Return.

I took the Rotl 1592MKII but unfortunately I don't like it, it has too loud mid / high range to bother the ears.

I am thinking of getting another Nad amp, but the 388 model (older and more tested) I hope it sounds as good as the 368 and 399.

I like the Nad sound as much as you do, I just don't know what to do, the 399 has given me too many problems (I don't even need the bluos module, it would be useless waste of money).

Marantz model 40N likes it but I think that the power of only 70wat per channel is too little, consider that we come from much more powerful amplifiers.

I don't know the other brands, I can't tell if they have a warm and non-tiring sound.

I hope I was useful, let's see if some other users can help us more.
Thanks, see you soon.

Jone5

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the recently updated Dirac Live iOS application and with C399? I cannot make new measurements because the measurement signal is not outputted (same with the volume calibration signal). I had the beta BluOS mentioned earlier in the thread, but I also tried to downgrade to public release but the issue remains.

Top Bottom