• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier

Todd74

Need some quick help. I can get a brand new C399 with BluOS for $1899 shipped. Currently I’m using my Denon 6700 in preamp mode with a VTV Hypex 502. Would this be a worthwhile investment? Will I notice an improvement? It’s a nicely treated room by the way.
I already have enough components and whatnot in my mancave/HT as it is, so I really don’t want to go the route of separates.

djeka

Hi all. I am in market for c399 + mdc2 module for dirac. I have read all pages but could not find answer to the question and my question is can i use dirac with hdmi or toslink as input? My plan is to use hdmi with my tv and toslink with pc, can i use dirac with those inputs or is dirac only available for streaming apps?

dobrynin

Hi all. I am in market for c399 + mdc2 module for dirac. I have read all pages but could not find answer to the question and my question is can i use dirac with hdmi or toslink as input? My plan is to use hdmi with my tv and toslink with pc, can i use dirac with those inputs or is dirac only available for streaming apps?
Hi.
Dirac will work on any input. A bypass can be arranged at the line inputs (the signal will go past the Dirac).

Michael K.

I just got my C399 (my first NAD) with BluOS two days ago and really like the sound. The Amp sounds crisp and alive to my almost 60 year old ears :)

But I do think that its a little buggy. One example: when I hit track skip on the remote (SR 10) it always skips 2 tracks. This only happens when using BluOS. In Roon everything is fine.

Anybody else habe the same problem or can validate that its not only on my unit?

My reason for buying was wanting to simplify my system but have room for expansion down the road ;-)

Tested Dirac once and found the result for my ears a little flat. But will test it in the future. Now I'm just enjoying my new streaming Amp as is.

Thanks in advance.

mneedes

I'm liking my NAD C399, but I have only one nit-pick. When I use the Qobuz app and the provided IR remote control, every time I hit the forward (or back) button it moves forward (or back) TWO songs ! This is only with the Qobuz app. I mentioned this to their software support, and they agreed, but they are taking over a year to make this simple software fix. So, don't hold your breath if you find a minor issue.
(edited for grammar)

Michael K.

I had the same in the BluOS App and latter when using Roon. I even got a second MDC2 card for testing but nothing changed. Aber that I returned my C399.

But because I liked the sound so much I now have a C389 with BluOS-D and it still skips 2 songs on ocasion but far less then with the C399.

mneedes

I had the same in the BluOS App and latter when using Roon. I even got a second MDC2 card for testing but nothing changed. Aber that I returned my C399.

But because I liked the sound so much I now have a C389 with BluOS-D and it still skips 2 songs on ocasion but far less then with the C399.
Its good in a way that you returned it. This bug is such an irritating thing, a "quality of life issue".
Glad you like the C389 ! Strange that it is an intermittent issue on that amp ...

Michael K.

Really weird ... on the C399 it was almost impossible to only skip one track in either direction. On the C389 it happens way less. I'm the kind of guy that loads a 600+ song playlist , sits in his stereo triangle with closed eyes and only a Remote in my hand ;-) ... only need 4 buttons (track +/- and volume +/-) ;-)

John_Claude

Really weird ... on the C399 it was almost impossible to only skip one track in either direction. On the C389 it happens way less. I'm the kind of guy that loads a 600+ song playlist , sits in his stereo triangle with closed eyes and only a Remote in my hand ;-) ... only need 4 buttons (track +/- and volume +/-) ;-)

That’s bizarre. I’ve never had this issue with either Roon (local library or Qobuz) or the BluOS app. I’m connected via Ethernet from a Mac Mini running Roon Core to the MDC2 card.

Michael K.

Bizarre is the right word. My Roon Core is running on a Intel Nuc and everything is connected via Ethernet. Tried C399 + C389 und three different MDC2 cards ... had a C368 with MDC card here for testing and everthing worked fine.

mneedes

Bizarre is the right word. My Roon Core is running on a Intel Nuc and everything is connected via Ethernet. Tried C399 + C389 und three different MDC2 cards ... had a C368 with MDC card here for testing and everthing worked fine.
It doesn't do this (for me) with the BluOS app controls while streaming Qobuz, so the BluOS app appears fine. It does this when using the NAD front panel controls and remote control only (which I often prefer to use over the app controls). My usual use case is to choose a playlist using the BluOs app (using Qobuz streaming service) and then use the IR remote control or front panel from then on. Anyway, hope they fix this... I can't believe it is a difficult change. In addition, I have only seen the problem when using the Qobuz streaming service... while some other streaming services seem fine, I haven't tried very many, so I can't say that this issue is confined to Qobuz.
(edited for clarity)

Last edited:

Michael K.

As far as I tested it only happens using an infrared remote. Apps, in my case BluOs and Roon work fine. I too prefer using a IR remote :)

John_Claude

It doesn't do this (for me) with the BluOS app controls while streaming Qobuz, so the BluOS app appears fine. It does this when using the NAD front panel controls and remote control only (which I often prefer to use over the app controls). My usual use case is to choose a playlist using the BluOs app (using Qobuz streaming service) and then use the IR remote control or front panel from then on. Anyway, hope they fix this... I can't believe it is a difficult change. In addition, I have only seen the problem when using the Qobuz streaming service... while some other streaming services seem fine, I haven't tried very many, so I can't say that this issue is confined to Qobuz.
(edited for clarity)

That explains it. I don’t use the IR remote to control my selections. Only the Roon app.

Top Bottom