• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 316BEE vs Niles SI-2100 vs Rega io

wunderblunder

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking for a new amp and I'm totally overwhelmed.

I currently have a desk setup with KEF Q150s paired with monoprice subwoofers connected to a Topping PA3 connected to a JDS Labs Atom DAC connected to my PC.

Since I have a DAC connected to my PC, I'm looking for a more basic amplifier to get more bang for my buck (I won't complain though if a similarly priced amp has more features). My Topping PA3 always seemed a little boring to me and I want something more exciting (FYI my ears are pretty basic, I think my Bose Soundlink 2's sound fuller than my current setup so I clearly don't know much)! Would be nice to have a subwoofer line out too so I don't have to connect my speakers directly to it. Since it's a desk setup, a smaller unit would be nice to have, but I really don't mind putting a larger amp next to my subwoofer or something (not sure how much size matters).

I've sort of narrowed it down to the following and would appreciate any input here or even recommendations on other Amps! Thanks so much!
considered the NAD D 3045 but i feel like i'd be paying for all these features i don't use (I'd still consider it though if it sounded better than the above)

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Everyone,

I've been looking for a new amp and I'm totally overwhelmed.

I currently have a desk setup with KEF Q150s paired with monoprice subwoofers connected to a Topping PA3 connected to a JDS Labs Atom DAC connected to my PC.

Since I have a DAC connected to my PC, I'm looking for a more basic amplifier to get more bang for my buck (I won't complain though if a similarly priced amp has more features). My Topping PA3 always seemed a little boring to me and I want something more exciting (FYI my ears are pretty basic, I think my Bose Soundlink 2's sound fuller than my current setup so I clearly don't know much)! Would be nice to have a subwoofer line out too so I don't have to connect my speakers directly to it. Since it's a desk setup, a smaller unit would be nice to have, but I really don't mind putting a larger amp next to my subwoofer or something (not sure how much size matters).

I've sort of narrowed it down to the following and would appreciate any input here or even recommendations on other Amps! Thanks so much!
considered the NAD D 3045 but i feel like i'd be paying for all these features i don't use (I'd still consider it though if it sounded better than the above)
The Rega amps (Brio and io) appear to measure horribly. Not sure how you'd respond to the sound of their output, which is pretty modest.

The NAD measures far superior, and I'd bet so does the Niles; its big brother the SI-2150 measured very well here.

spiritofjerry

Why not something like the SMSL SA300? I own it, lovely sound. Subwoofer out. Nice small footprint.

Edit:
It also measures well. Uses the German "Infineon" digital chip, which is quite efficient. Has a remote!

Top Bottom