• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

ameerm

If two digital sources can suffice, I highly recommend RME ADI-2 DAC. For the following reason; (1) great headphone amp (2) you will get parametric EQ (3) great sounding DAC.

Here is my setup: Node, RME, NAD C298, KEF LS50.

Edit:
You can get output from your computer to RME, through USB, and you still have optical and another Coax for other digital uses. RME ADI-2 DAC is not technically called pre-amp, but some fellows here recommend it, and I'm very happy with it.

With this chain i have a question:

If i use eArc from the tv to the node, then pass that digital signal to a dac. Would one still be able to attenuate volume using the TV remote?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If i use eArc from the tv to the node, then pass that digital signal to a dac. Would one still be able to attenuate volume using the TV remote?
I think that may depend on the TV, but I am able to do so. In fact, I'm able to attenuate volume even using my Roku remote. My TV is a 10-year-old Samsung smart TV.

pogo

Major Contributor
I suspect that it is possible but that not any two randomly-chosen channels will work.
Exactly that will be the case. Here is the implementation of the bridge mode in the C298/M23/M33 (channel-matching of the left and right purifi stages): Link

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor

tbh, haven't tried this since i'm using fixed volume on the Node and the Rme's remote for volume (and switching, due to different sources)
but in principle, yes - that would be the main point of an ARC implementation

roog

Forum Donor
Apologies if this has been covered earlier in this thread, but do you know if you can access the power amp section of the M33 without going through the M33's digital input stage?

I assume the M33s' input stage includes a chain of ADC and DSP for the pre amp functions and Dirac?

If this is the case I might prefer the C298 or perhaps the M23, (M23 is a lot of money thought)

pogo

Major Contributor
do you know if you can access the power amp section of the M33 without going through the M33's digital input stage?
No.

And this is probably one reason why M23/M33 have a bit more output power and 'sound' better than a C298:

Dual Mono Layout vs. Stereo Layout with a lower total capacity.

nothingman

No.

And this is probably one reason why M23/M33 have a bit more output power and 'sound' better than a C298:

What are you talking about? The C298 puts out more power and measures cleaner than the M33. We don’t have any data on the M23.

pogo

Major Contributor
I am talking about the current delivery capability at 1 and 2 ohm: M33 & C298

nothingman

I am talking about the current delivery capability at 1 and 2 ohm: M33 & C298

Oh, interesting. I hadn’t seen ever seen those measurements, so thanks for that. Interesting that C298 is stronger 8 and 4 ohm, but then down. Wonder what we’ll see from the M23 if Hifi News gets their hands on it. I think they’re the only ones who do a measurement like this.

ameerm

No.

The power supply of the m33 resembles the 298 more than the m23.

pogo

Major Contributor
On the NAD homepage you can see that the M23 and M33 are specified identically in terms of output power performance. This is only logical, since the M23 is the bridge mode extension for the M33.

roog

Forum Donor
Indeed, it would be nice to see the figures for M23 vs C298.

There is a such a difference in cost between them that I think I would be happy to forego the fancy case work of the M series.

Top Bottom