• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not the cables, it's the banana connectors. And, yes, I do use BJCs and those are the ones that do not fit.
This was the first thing I saw googling 90 degree bananas. So maybe already suggested but I didn't see anything skimming the thread. If they need to be a high end product you can get some $100 shrink tubing!

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The bottom line is that you should expect the Revel Ultima2 to accommodate standard banana connectors and you shouldn't have to deal with this. If they even tried bananas while designing the speaker, the issue would have been noticed immediately. Do they only design with spade connectors in mind at Revel? A simple solution is to provide a panel door that bulges out more, but they chose form over function.

As an audio reviewer, I think you should take them to task about this issue on an expensive speaker. Ask them directly to suggest a banana connector, then show them it doesn't fit :rolleyes:.
I did. 10 years ago. Their more recent (albeit cheaper) models do not have a door at all.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
This was the first thing I saw googling 90 degree bananas. So maybe already suggested but I didn't see anything skimming the thread. If they need to be a high end product you can get some $100 shrink tubing!
Thanks. That is similar to what I am using now. However, without positive locking and with reliance on springed metal for contact, they are subject to loosening over time.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. That is similar to what I am using now. However, without positive locking and with reliance on springed metal for contact, they are subject to loosening over time.
My bad. I forgot the locking part. Is a spade to banana adapter an option (I hope someone makes same thing as below at a reasonable price)?

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
I did. 10 years ago. Their more recent (albeit cheaper) models do not have a door at all.
Maybe the answer is to upgrade your Revels by removing the rear cover. Then your speakers will be just like the new models. If the cover doesn't come off easily there's nothing Dremel Tools can't fix. :D

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
My bad. I forgot the locking part. Is a spade to banana adapter an option (I hope someone makes same thing as below at a reasonable price)?
Interesting idea. I will look into it.
Maybe the answer is to upgrade your Revels by removing the rear cover. Then your speakers will be just like the new models. If the cover doesn't come off easily there's nothing Dremel Tools can't fix. :D
The door is supposed to be removable but, following instructions, I bent it at the pivot pins as far as I felt it prudent and then relented. I'd rather not go farther than that as any damage would impact on resale value.

pogo

Major Contributor
The sound impressions manifest themselves and this time with some measurements:
Link

You can easily see the better shielding measures compared to the C298.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Interesting idea. I will look into it.

The door is supposed to be removable but, following instructions, I bent it at the pivot pins as far as I felt it prudent and then relented. I'd rather not go farther than that as any damage would impact on resale value.

No need to worry about resale. Your wife will give everything away one day. :p

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
No need to worry about resale. Your wife will give everything away one day. :p
I am only concerned with my own prospects in this regard. As for her actions, arrangements have been made to provide informed support (for her benefit, not mine).

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And how is this "sound quality" measured by STEREO Magazine?

The sound impressions manifest themselves and this time with some measurements:
Link

You can easily see the better shielding measures compared to the C298.
Thanks! To me, the internal power supply section looks different than C298.

1649364109033.png

Beun

Anybody tested the C298 in bridge modus already and if yes how was the result?:)

airgas1998

and now m23 is msrp 3749.00...and c298 2399.00...at least Crutchfield site...

ameerm

and now m23 is msrp 3749.00...and c298 2399.00...at least Crutchfield site...
Budget Hifi is getting too expensive nowadays. This is the first time i think anything C series went over the 2k mark?

Last edited:

wjvs1983

Budget Hifi is getting too expensive nowadays. This is the first time i think anything C series went over the 2k mark?
Nope, the c390dd already did that 10 years ago. Good that there is something in every range.

ameerm

Nope, the c390dd already did that 10 years ago. Good that there is something in every range.
Forgot about that bad boi. I dreamt of owning one. One has to wonder what ‘couldve been’ if the company who provided that tech to nad still continued on to develop it.

Edit: did a little research, the company underwent multiple ownerships. direct digital tech is now owned by qualcomm. Okay sorry for going off topic.

Last edited:

Ridger0

Has anyone had a problem with autosense only turning on one channel on the amplifier? Amplifer turns on, but only one of two channels work. Have to toggle the rca/xlr switch to get it to click and play both. Not sure if this is an amplifier issue, firmware issues, or just autosense. I haven't tested with 12v trigger, I guess I'll play around with that next.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone had a problem with autosense only turning on one channel on the amplifier? Amplifer turns on, but only one of two channels work. Have to toggle the rca/xlr switch to get it to click and play both. Not sure if this is an amplifier issue, firmware issues, or just autosense. I haven't tested with 12v trigger, I guess I'll play around with that next.
If I where to guess it appears that a relay driver (Transistor drive circuit or even from a IC.) has gone soft and is not providing enough gain/drive to the relay. When this occurs the relays will exhibit symptoms like you describe. It is possible if it is one relay that the relay is failing.

tparm

Forum Donor
BTW, my pristine C298 is listed in the classifieds.... I used a trigger from my processor and worked perfectly.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't had a problem with either autosense or trigger.

Ridger0

If I where to guess it appears that a relay driver (Transistor drive circuit or even from a IC.) has gone soft and is not providing enough gain/drive to the relay. When this occurs the relays will exhibit symptoms like you describe. It is possible if it is one relay that the relay is failing.
Thanks. Looks like I'll have to take it for service.

Top Bottom