• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

nothingman

That certainly occurred to me, but then figured if you can’t bring up a borderline measurement difference at ASR, then where can you?

Thanks for the great review and to JA for the measurements! Very cool that you now own both the AHB2 and C298.

eduardw

Forum Donor
For stereo what should you choose a pair of bridge c298 or one ahb2. Later this year I want to replace my ice base (amp) for a new one.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
For stereo what should you choose a pair of bridge c298 or one ahb2. Later this year I want to replace my ice base (amp) for a new one.
??? A more apposite choice would be "For stereo what should you choose a pair of bridged ahb2 or one c298." Either way, though, the only answer is that it depends on other factors.

pogo

Major Contributor
??? A more apposite choice would be "For stereo what should you choose a pair of bridged ahb2 or one c298." Either way, though, the only answer is that it depends on other factors.

That's correct.
See also here and the associated test:
The real world can be so beautiful when an amplifier with a high damping factor leads the speakers and not the other way around.

eduardw

Forum Donor
Thanks but from a price point a pair of ahb2 cost as much as 4 c298.

nothingman

This is getting a little silly. First, for the AHB2, 2 x $3000 USD = $6000. That’s three C298s, not four.

But the point is, instead of thinking of it being a $3000 vs. $4000 decision between one AHB2 and two C298s, it’s better to think of it as a $2000 vs. $3000 decision between one C298 or one AHB2. The cheaper amp is significantly more powerful but gives up a fair bit in raw resolution. The AHB2 stands alone on pure SINAD. If you need more power than the AHB2, then get one C298, and if you need/want more power than one C298 then and only then should you be talking about doubling up and running them mono. And at that point it’s a $4000 vs. $6000 decision. Follow me?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
This is getting a little silly. First, for the AHB2, 2 x $3000 USD = $6000. That’s three C298s, not four.

But the point is, instead of thinking of it being a $3000 vs. $4000 decision between one AHB2 and two C298s, it’s better to think of it as a $2000 vs. $3000 decision between one C298 or one AHB2. The cheaper amp is significantly more powerful but gives up a fair bit in raw resolution. The AHB2 stands alone on pure SINAD. If you need more power than the AHB2, then get one C298, and if you need/want more power than one C298 then and only then should you be talking about doubling up and running them mono. And at that point it’s a $4000 vs. $6000 decision. Follow me?
I follow you but the OP's original question didn't introduce the price issue explicitly. So, to answer his original question: I generally prefer the AHB2 unless one needs more power than it can offer as a stereo amp or as a bridged-mono pair.

nothingman

I follow you but the OP's original question didn't introduce the price issue explicitly. So, to answer his original question: I generally prefer the AHB2 unless one needs more power than it can offer as a stereo amp or as a bridged-mono pair.

Totally on the same page. By the time I chimed in he had already gone into the price thing more explicitly. I wasn’t trying to correct you. In terms of output I think you’re right.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just a quick question about preamplification. I plan to use the SU-9 (fed with Roon via USB) with C298 as the power amp (connected to the R7 speakers) and use SU-9 to control volume/inputs via it's remote. Do I need a pre-amp between the DAC and the Amplifier? Would that serve any sound quality improvement purpose considering that specific DAC design? Thanks

nothingman

That’s a DAC that supports volume control. You’d be good to connect directly to the C298. Around these parts not many people would suggest inserting a preamp into the chain if you can avoid it. Just one more device to mess with the clean signal out of the SU-9.

The C298 replaced my M33. With RME ADI-2 Pro FS R doing pre-amp duty. Listening fatigue is gone, the lows are way more clear and the highs not so piercing anymore. Amazing that a 5k integrated has such a bad DAC implementation, even worse, there is no way to bypass it and go direct to the power amplifier part. What where these engineers thinking?

Looking at my data, I do not see any evidence whatsoever that there's a problem with the DAC.
Well, it's clear to me and my wife; maybe it's the ESS hump. My old Topping D50 induces similar fatigue.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Well, it's clear to me and my wife; maybe it's the ESS hump. My old Topping D50 induces similar fatigue.

Invoking the wife, perfect!

Serious answer: sighted and non-controlled impressions are enormously unreliable. Double blind and level matched are crucial to supporting extraordinary claims.

Invoking the wife, perfect!

Serious answer: sighted and non-controlled impressions are enormously unreliable. Double blind and level matched are crucial to supporting extraordinary claims.

Well aware. Never claimed to have tested the scientific way. But opinions should be allowed to be mentioned. Otherwise this forum should be closed to non proven science people.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Well aware. Never claimed to have tested the scientific way. But opinions should be allowed to be mentioned. Otherwise this forum should be closed to non proven science people.

If you make a claim on a science forum that is unlikely and not supported by evidence, expect it to be questioned. And if it remains unsupported, dismissed. That's how science works- reality is not a matter of opinion.

If you make a claim on a science forum that is unlikely and not supported by evidence, expect it to be questioned. And if it remains unsupported, dismissed. That's how science works- reality is not a matter of opinion.

With the M33, had to turn the treble down 3db to make it sound acceptable. This was not needed with the RME DAC. Clearly something is going on then.
EDIT: Not here to argue about what is scientific and what is not. Just wanted to post my experience with these devices. I for one appreciate if people post a little about their listening experience. I value those more then some magazine or Youtuber with commercial interests.

Last edited:
Top Bottom