• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

aslan7

Thank you for the suggestion. I don’t know if any of it is true but according to the grapevine VTV customer service is horrendous. Unfortunately the manufacturers in whom I have faith, like Rogue and Prima Luna, don’t sell the components I want. The little Nord One MP NC252 250W has a great price point and is hugely tempting. That Nord thing was probably just an unfortunate slip.

aslan7

Depending on where you are, I strongly recommend Apollon. They won’t ever wire wrong, and the little mini stereo Purifi amp in the premium enclosure is just a little gem to look at as well.

Roberto

I never heard of them but they look very good. I just want something to hook up to my dac and keep it simple.

D

Deleted member 24907

Very interesting thread, was planning to buy this NAD amp but decided to pick up an old somewhat chipped Yamaha mx2. Great machine.

holbob

Thank you for the suggestion. I don’t know if any of it is true but according to the grapevine VTV customer service is horrendous. Unfortunately the manufacturers in whom I have faith, like Rogue and Prima Luna, don’t sell the components I want. The little Nord One MP NC252 250W has a great price point and is hugely tempting. That Nord thing was probably just an unfortunate slip.

If you're in the market for a NC252 then I can recommend Audiophonics. You'll certainly save money.

aslan7

I have been researching all the different Purifi amps and it is extremely difficult to make a decision. European companies like Nord and Appolon are excellent and their people quite responsive. VTV here in the USA sounds back on track and I would certainly put them on the list, and the owner is quite responsive. But I am getting to the conclusion that March is the best--great features, beautiful design, super build quality and cases, and no gimmicks like voodoo upgrades. I feel foolish buying from Australia when a perfectly good manufacturer is in Ohio, but March makes a good case.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
No comment (here, now).

Reactions: pma

wgb113

I have been researching all the different Purifi amps and it is extremely difficult to make a decision. European companies like Nord and Appolon are excellent and their people quite responsive. VTV here in the USA sounds back on track and I would certainly put them on the list, and the owner is quite responsive. But I am getting to the conclusion that March is the best--great features, beautiful design, super build quality and cases, and no gimmicks like voodoo upgrades. I feel foolish buying from Australia when a perfectly good manufacturer is in Ohio, but March makes a good case.
I feel your frustration. I have more confidence in a long-established company like NAD to stand behind their product - though I'm sure some of these smaller/newer companies are making good products. It just feels like the NAD doesn't have all of its wrinkles ironed out, almost like it was still in beta stage when they released it, leaving it up to early adopters to report back on all of the kinks.

That ain't cool!

aslan7

Agreed--NAD is inexcusable. I am very suspicious of boutique companies, and especially exotic foreign ones. I was badly burned by Exogal in MN who made an app based "power DAC" but then there were no more apps. But this Class D stuff is very simple to assemble and service. I find all the bewildering array of "upgrades" with Sparkos stuff and op-amps to be annoying and probably not much in the way of an audible improvement. But I think Nord, VTV, and especially March all have their act together. I'd buy a VTV in a heartbeat but am not keen on Ghent cases. I wish we had an American company like Benchmark making this product. March just sells the Purifi model as they see fit without eight upgrade options, and I appreciate the straightforward approach, not to mention build quality and no notorious slip-ups. If I have to pay a little more for that, so be it. To my ears Class D is simply amazing and I am listening to an outdated Ice unit.

CabbageEars

I've just hit 'buy' to get a C298 to go between an M12 and a pair of KEF 201/2 (and a couple of subs, fed direct from the M12).
Has anyone noticed a measurable (or even subjective:oops:) difference between using balanced and unbalanced inputs on the C298? I have a cable run of around 1.5m.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I've just hit 'buy' to get a C298 to go between an M12 and a pair of KEF 201/2 (and a couple of subs, fed direct from the M12).
Has anyone noticed a measurable (or even subjective:oops:) difference between using balanced and unbalanced inputs on the C298? I have a cable run of around 1.5m.
Welcome Aboard @CabbageEars.

aslan7

I broke down and bought the VTV Purifi Eval 1 model that Matias recommended above. In the end it just makes more sense to deal with an American manufacturer who seems to have now developed an excellent reputation. Nobody is going to see the case so no point in spending a lot for a fancy one. I can hardly wait to hear this thing. Guess I’ll have to convert to Speakon.

RGibran

Just received June issue of Stereophile containing Kalman Rubinson's C298 review. JA states "The C298 is one of the lowest-distortion amplifiers I have measured, rivaling the less powerful Benchmark AHB2 that KR reviewed in November 2015."

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just received June issue of Stereophile containing Kalman Rubinson's C298 review. JA states "The C298 is one of the lowest-distortion amplifiers I have measured, rivaling the less powerful Benchmark AHB2 that KR reviewed in November 2015."
I just got my copy today, too. Glad I don’t have two grand simply burning a hole in my pocket or the C 298 might already be on the way! Thanks, Kal!

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SINAD 98 in Stereophile's test makes it below the EVAL-1 but easily in the blue area of better measuring amps.

ebslo

Forum Donor
SINAD 98 in Stereophile's test makes it below the EVAL-1 but easily in the blue area of better measuring amps.
That matches the ASR measurement of the NAD M28 which likely uses the same modules. So no surprise, and to me that's a good thing.

Top Bottom