• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

crbdrb

I can’t even get one. Mine has been on order for 6 weeks now from a local dealer. And I see Crutchfield keeps pushing back their availability date every 3 weeks. Am considering giving up and finding something else.

LarsV

I have the C298 connected directly to a Topping D70S DAC. Should I set gain to fixed or reduce gain and use the opamps in the D70S "more"? (input XLR cables). It sounds very good, however later I might want to put a pre amp in or is that not necessary with this set up?

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was reading this thread and noticed people having trigger issues with the C298. Since I am new to speaker amps, so I sometimes don't really understand the issue but I am about to pair a C298 with a newly bought SMSL SU-9 which doesn't have any trigger or anything. Suffice to say, I intend to use the SU-9 to control the C298 and use the SU-9 to control the volume as well. Just a few questions:

1. Has anyone tried the C298 with simple DACs as preamp? Any operational challenges like getting the amp to turn on or something?

2. I also intend to put a SVS SB-3000 sub in the system with my KEF R7s. Where do I connect the sub RCAs to...the DAC RCA out or the Amp line out?

I could have bought the M33 but seeing Amir's measurements...I figured I would be better of with a well measuring DAC instead. Thanks

Descartes

Major Contributor
Could be many things. I am now using a NAD M28 which has 7 channels spec-ed as:
HybridDigital Purifi Eigentakt™ Amplifier
FTC Power: 250W in 8 Ohms, 360W into 4 Ohms
Rated Power: 200W into 8 Ohms, 340W into 4 Ohms
Dynamic Power: 320W into 8 Ohms, 700W into 4 Ohms​
But no bridging.

is that what you are using with the Studio2 5.1 system?

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
1. Has anyone tried the C298 with simple DACs as preamp? Any operational challenges like getting the amp to turn on or something?

C298 has an Auto Sense feature with 3 levels. You have to consider that it takes a little while before the amp notices the input, so you lose 1-2 seconds at the beginning of the song. The alternative is to use the trigger with the device in front of the DAC (if there is only one). Disadvantage either way: SMSL SU-9 has no auto off.

ebslo

Forum Donor
how could I check the firmware version that comes with a C298 ?
With amp in standby operating mode, hold front panel button in for 10-15 5-10 seconds and release. Count blinks of the front panel LED. 7 blinks => firmware v1.7, 8 blinks => firmware v1.8.

edit: correct the procedure in case someone finds this in a search.

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

C298 has an Auto Sense feature with 3 levels. You have to consider that it takes a little while before the amp notices the input, so you lose 1-2 seconds at the beginning of the song. The alternative is to use the trigger with the device in front of the DAC (if there is only one). Disadvantage either way: SMSL SU-9 has no auto off.
Thanks. I am assuming that one loses only a few seconds of the first song only and not afterwards.

Would the C298 auto off after a while if there is no signal from SU-9 and auto turn on when there is signal? Sorry if you already answered it. If yes, what of the 3 auto sense settings should one use to have the most standby time? Also, is there any wisdom is turning off amps except for maybe trickling power consumption? Thanks

Shoaibexpert

With amp in standby, hold front panel button in for 10-15 seconds and release. Count blinks of the front panel LED. 7 blinks => firmware v1.7, 8 blinks => firmware v1.8.
Is there any reason one should prefer the 1.8 over 1.7? If yes, I can get my dealer to check that beforehand. Is that something to do with the hum people have noticed? Also, isn't the firmware upgradable? Thanks

ebslo

Forum Donor
Is there any reason one should prefer the 1.8 over 1.7? If yes, I can get my dealer to check that beforehand. Is that something to do with the hum people have noticed? Also, isn't the firmware upgradable? Thanks
Nothing to do with hum, I think some people had issues with the v1.7 firmware randomly shutting down when auto-sense was enabled.

Moto

@Shoaibexpert , I am running the smsl into the c298 directly and using an svb-3000 sub. Per communication with NAD the line out is unchanged going to the sub from the c298. Per communication with SVB, keep input <3vrms and gain on the 3000 betweem -20 and -5db.
I use roon for volume so keep the smsl in dac only mode. If you are using the smsl for volume control I’d set the c298 gain at a level which allows you to keep the smsl output at less than 3vrms for the svb-3000 constraint.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
With amp in standby, hold front panel button in for 10-15 seconds and release. Count blinks of the front panel LED. 7 blinks => firmware v1.7, 8 blinks => firmware v1.8.

If you see 9 blinks, Run. Fast.

(9 blinks => self destruct initialization sequence enabled)

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
Thanks. I am assuming that one loses only a few seconds of the first song only and not afterwards.

Would the C298 auto off after a while if there is no signal from SU-9 and auto turn on when there is signal? Sorry if you already answered it. If yes, what of the 3 auto sense settings should one use to have the most standby time? Also, is there any wisdom is turning off amps except for maybe trickling power consumption? Thanks

Yes, only the first song. If there is no signal, the C298 goes into standby (after the usual time). The auto sense settings have no effect on standby. They only regulate how loud the input signal has to be for the C298 to operate - however useful that may be. To your last question: The wisdom of turning off amplifiers is to save us all from climate change. :) Idling power consumption is 23.2 W.

sumpao

Yes, only the first song. If there is no signal, the C298 goes into standby (after the usual time). The auto sense settings have no effect on standby. They only regulate how loud the input signal has to be for the C298 to operate - however useful that may be. To your last question: The wisdom of turning off amplifiers is to save us all from climate change. :) Idling power consumption is 23.2 W.
Did standby mode consume energy?
DO i need to go to the back and switch off ?

Top Bottom