• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

gaburko

The RME is my digital "pre-amp" (Nvidia shield, ropiee, etc) and my pro-ject tube box ds2 goes directly into my amp, yes. Anyway, clear, if I want the c298 I'll have to play with the manual switch at the back.
Thanks

nothingman

Not that it’s important, but I’m looking at the tube box ds2 product page and I don’t see what you’re talking about. It has some nice loading and gain adjustments, but I don’t see anything in the way of volume control or any mention of routing straight into a power amp. This looks very much like a conventional phono stage that needs to run into a preamp.

gaburko

Not that it’s important, but I’m looking at the tube box ds2 product page and I don’t see what you’re talking about.
I'm not here to argue. Project tube box is a pre-amp and doesn't need another pre-amp between itself and the amp. The more important point is that it looks like the c298 won't fit my needs so I'll have to search elsewhere

nothingman

Same here, not trying to argue, but that’s a phono preamp my friend. Let us know how it goes when you hook it up directly to a 200w power amp and drop the needle.

retro

Same here, not trying to argue, but that’s a phono preamp my friend. Let us know how it goes when you hook it up directly to a 200w power amp and drop the needle.

Same here, popping popcorn..;) No, but seriously, this can go bad.. It's a phono-preamp, nothing else. Fixed volume on the outputs. Probably around 1 volt, maybe more..

Aventador_SVJ

All I can say is that the Nad C298 is a seriously impressive piece of kit. Combined with the MiniDSP SHD, this results in fantastic performance, even with my relatively obsolete TDL RTL 3 speakers (albeit with modified, expensive PMC tweeters).

Well done Nad (and MiniDSP for that matter) but most of all well done to this forum and its members, which helped me pick equipment from an objective perspective:)

Last edited:

MJR

Hi All,
Long time reader/new member here. Just wanted to say thanks for all the very useful information and opinions provided in this forum. After much research, I am about to pull the plug on a NAD C298 & C658 combo as my entry into audio separates. I am coming from a lifetime of low/mid-grade receivers (Sony, Marantz, Yamaha). My main system currently has Yamaha N803 driving B&W 603s. I love the speakers and previously had Klipsch RP280f and SVS Prime Pinnacles before settling on these. I am very happy with sound in general until about mid-high volume (-20dB or so). Then it struggles with accuracy and clarity. I listen to classic rock, jazz, classical and really like to hear vocals and instruments (Don Ellis, Blood Sweat and Tears, Dave Brubeck, Fleetwood Mac, Eva Cassidy, Eagles etc...) with natural stage presence.

Note: I have also had dual SVS subs (not really needed in my opinion, but I can hear the differnce and integrated best with the Prime Pinnacles, of course) and various room treatments (which helped somewhat, but no real issues for MLP) in a large L-Shaped living room plus dining space (20x12 and 10x12) but feel I am missing something at the higher volumes were the amp just seems to lose its fidelity. All I use for source material is FLAC over hardwire from Synology NAS. Obviously there are some variations in sound quality depending on source mastering, but I really strive for for clean/accurate sound. Anyhoo... just checking in and seeing if I am on the right track for getting noticeable improvement with the proposed NAD set-up.
Thanks ~ MJ

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I want one.

Aventador_SVJ

Hi All,
Long time reader/new member here. Just wanted to say thanks for all the very useful information and opinions provided in this forum. After much research, I am about to pull the plug on a NAD C298 & C658 combo as my entry into audio separates.

I looked at the C658 but do have a look at the objective measurements on here - despite some of the issues I'm having with my new MiniDSP SHD, it performs much better than the C658.

The C298 is effectively a licensed Purifi amplifier, so that is a safe bet and I'm really impressed with mine.

Reactions: MJR

Jukebox

It already came in, but I have a problem to solve.
I get hum / buzz noise in speakers when my Denon 3700 L&R pre-outs are connected to c298.
Either with RCA-XLR Mogami/Neutrik cables (wired properly) and RCA-RCA.
Both Denon and NAD units are plug do the same power strip (I have only a single plug under TV).
Denon is AVC, so no TV antenna. Also no AVR input sources seems to make it (I've tried to disconnect one by one).
The hum is also in NAD standby mode. It disappears only if I switch it off with a toggle switch behind.
What am I missing?
Had the same exact problem between the C298 and X3700. Tried also an Benchmark Dac 3 as preamp and the hum was gone. Unplugged the all Hdmi cables from Denon but without succes.
Also tested a Rotel power amp in the same configuration with the Denon without any hum.
I solved the problem for the C298 by removing the trigger cable between the two and using the auto sense function for switching on/off.
Eventually I will try a new unit just to be sure.

TomekNet

Had the same exact problem between the C298 and X3700. Tried also an Benchmark Dac 3 as preamp and the hum was gone. Unplugged the all Hdmi cables from Denon but without succes.
Also tested a Rotel power amp in the same configuration with the Denon without any hum.
I solved the problem for the C298 by removing the trigger cable between the two and using the auto sense function for switching on/off.
Eventually I will try a new unit just to be sure.

I had three different sources of hum. Two of them solved, one pending. I've created a separate thread on this matter:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ent-hum-sources-2-solved-1-in-progress.19891/

MJR

I looked at the C658 but do have a look at the objective measurements on here - despite some of the issues I'm having with my new MiniDSP SHD, it performs much better than the C658.

The C298 is effectively a licensed Purifi amplifier, so that is a safe bet and I'm really impressed with mine.

Thanks for sharing your impression of the C298. One thing that I am interested in is how the C298 will handle things (especially at peak power) when play at higher volumes. My current Yamaha N803 does seem to struggle and I have not pushed it as far with my B&W 603s as I did with my previous Klipsch RP280f and SVS Prime Pinnacle speakers. I am a newbie with the technical stuff and not sure if I am reading (interpreting) specifications correctly.

For example, according to manufacturer specs (I know, take with many grains of salt):
Yamaha N803: Maximum Power (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD) @145w
NAD C298: Clipping power (Stereo mode, at 1 kHz 0.1 % THD) @>200w

Should one interpret this as meaning that the C298 will do much better (less distortion a normal person can hear - not only what measured) when really pushed?

Aventador_SVJ

Thanks for sharing your impression of the C298. One thing that I am interested in is how the C298 will handle things (especially at peak power) when play at higher volumes. My current Yamaha N803 does seem to struggle and I have not pushed it as far with my B&W 603s as I did with my previous Klipsch RP280f and SVS Prime Pinnacle speakers. I am a newbie with the technical stuff and not sure if I am reading (interpreting) specifications correctly.

For example, according to manufacturer specs (I know, take with many grains of salt):
Yamaha N803: Maximum Power (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD) @145w
NAD C298: Clipping power (Stereo mode, at 1 kHz 0.1 % THD) @>200w

Should one interpret this as meaning that the C298 will do much better (less distortion a normal person can hear - not only what measured) when really pushed?

In terms of actual power spec of the Nad C298, a good starting point would be to look at the base Purifi amplifier, which it's based on (I believe there is only 1 version, whether licensed or not):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/

In Amir's review, it states 257w at 4 ohms (both channels driven) and 131w at 8 ohms (both channels driven) but with 0.00019% distortion!

Note, your Yamaha states 145w at 8 ohms at 10%THD, this doesn't give me much confidence with a manufacturer quoting 10%THD figures.

I have pushed the Nad C298 and it really seems to sing. However, in general I suspect in normal use, I probably rarely push the amplifier beyond 25w, never mind 257w!

My initial thoughts on specs alone is that Nad C298 would literally blow the Yamaha out of the water at high volumes.

Last edited:

skids929

Hard to comment on something that has no sound of it's own. Neutral and transparent.

Thats a characterization of sound though. I've heard these lean more warm side of neutral, maybe that depends on system.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The RME is my digital "pre-amp" (Nvidia shield, ropiee, etc) and my pro-ject tube box ds2 goes directly into my amp, yes. Anyway, clear, if I want the c298 I'll have to play with the manual switch at the back.
Thanks

You could get a passive attenuator to go between the phono stage output and the nad. Otherwise you run a huge risk or blowing your speakers or your ear drums.

gaburko

You could get a passive attenuator to go between the phono stage output and the nad. Otherwise you run a huge risk or blowing your speakers or your ear drums.
Thanks! I've given up on the C298 as it would involve one more device in the chain and that's not what I'm after. Waiting for someone to release an integrated, ideally without a DAC :)

RGibran

Thats a characterization of sound though. I've heard these lean more warm side of neutral, maybe that depends on system.

If your looking for measurements this is the only I'm aware of at this time.

Attachments

• NAD_C298_Test_Stereo.de.en.pdf
    488.8 KB · Views: 449

MJR

Entire thread on the C298 and the majority of it about the damn trigger...How does it perform for pete's sake!!
I think its sounds very good. Subjectively i find to be very neutral and clean at higher volumes with tight bass and articulate vocals. When paired with the NAD C658 the 12v trigger works as intended with no issues for me. Very happy with it and a nice improvement over the Yamaha N803 it replaced..

Top Bottom