• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD 2200 Vintage Amplifier Review

laudio

A lot of amps sold today and reviewed here would have never made it to the test bench for a review in the 80s, and there were a lot of amps that were reviewed back then that would be in the upper tier to this day. Nice review.

ChrisF

Nice review! I've got a NAD 2700THX which i think was their most powerful of that era. It's by far the most dynamic amp I've ever owned and now making it hard for me to find something else to replace it with similar dynamics. These amps were/are great.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like a Ferrari...lots of good clean power but not reliable enough to make it a long term...daily driver. Always liked NAD for what they stood for...a stepping stone.
None of my non-digital Audio equipment is newer than 1996 (Dual 1229 TT running into an APT/Holman Pre phono section,which, due to distance of the run, Pre outs to a line input of a second APT/Holman Pre, which has a Technics SL-M3 [1984-88 computer servo controled linear tracking TT] in one of it's phono inputs, NAD Tuner, the OPPO 205 & a KENWOOD KX-W8050 cassette deck, an AKAI X-1800SD reel to reel and a not TOL (but coming soon) DAC going into 3 NAD 2200's running bridged mono for each channel {L,R & Pair of Dual 4 Ohm voice coils subs}) This has been & is my long term (but continually evolving) daily setup. With checkups every few years (like one does with a car), there is preventative maintenance done & upgrading some of the internal electronics parts from time to time but it keeps on satisfying my ears/eyes.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a NAD 7600, which is a receiver with the 2600 power amp stage. HUGE amounts of power! I don't use it any more, but it's an impressive thing. The remote control "brain" has had some issues, but in it's day it had a very good tuner, fine discrete FET phono stage, and ALL THAT POWER. I bought in 1988.
If you have no intention of using it: please PM me: [email protected] & put NAD 7600 in the subject line.

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Never solder or desolder without pants.
Also never solder without a hat.
Years ago I was on a ladder soldering a copper water pipe, a big glob of solder and Laco flux fell down onto the inspector's bald head below. I
Use a solder sucker or solder braid wick to absorb the solder on the PCB.
1Pc-Plastic-Solder-Sucker-Electric-Desoldering-Pump-Tool-Removal-Vacuum-Soldering-Iron-Desolder-Welding-Equipment-High.jpg_q50.jpg

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The main culprit with NAD is that they often fail and you can be sure they do. It's a good amplifier to buy if you can get it for cheap and fix it yourself.
Their AVR's and C3xx series are the best (worst?) example - mediocre solder job, cheapest capacitors money can buy and very questionable if not stupid design decisions to place capacitors in pretty much sealed cans with class A driver stages or directly next to a hot heatsink of a voltage regulator.

I've done a 370 once, never ever again. Had to replace almost every electrolytic capacitor and have spent hours fixing bad solder joints on the thing.
You have about 100% chance it's already partially decayed if you find one for sale online.

And don't even start me on their CDP's....great while they work but they break down due to mysterious reasons, not only because of laser and electrolytics failing.

It's a shame because otherwise NAD gear really does sound very good and often delivers more than what they promise.

I don't know about other NAD stuff but since the 80'sI have only had caps and the wonky relays go out on the 2100 & 2200 amps. Normal wear & tear, I think.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know there's people looking to find this amp after this review. Here's some NAD power amps that should be good alternatives to this model (if found in good condition): 216 THX (125W / 8Ω), C270 (120W / 8Ω), 214 (80W / 8Ω), 218 THX (200W / 8Ω).
These are models made between the 2200 and the C320BEE (both measured very well).
Yes, a 216 THX for the main L & R & a 218 THX for the subs. That is a wonderful system.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a NAD 1600 preamp and a C272 power amp daily with no issues. The 1600 was purchased new in 1991. The C272 is a bit younger, purchased in 2005. It replaced a Proton AA-1150 that had developed significant THD problems.

The older NAD stuff was better quality than mass market and was well-engineered for value (see Amir’s review). I could afford “better” now, but for my second system, it performs admirably.
I can conclude the same no issues with my c370. It is something as to Google for a medical treatment you always find the bad experience however 90% does not have any problems whatsoever they have nothing to complain about.

Last edited:

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
New replacement relays received from Mouser today. I will try the trusty solder wick.
I always thought the solder sucker thing was sort of gimicky.
If the wick comes up short I will try the solder sucker.
Thanks DT

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
New replacement relays received from Mouser today. I will try the trusty solder wick.
Thanks DT
The solder sucker is not a gimmick if you buy one that actually works. The good one's are not expensive. This is a proper solder sucker model that has become a industry standard amongst solder suckers around the world.
https://www.edsyn.com/product/DS017.html

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The original part is Taiko Rxs 2405U, a suitable replacement should be this one
Those were both expensive and postage to Europe was just crazy ($ 185:eek:). I finally ordered them yesterday at desertcart for half the price at Amazon. I payed € 56 + € 5 postage for 4 relays. Haven't got them yet.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

I only use wick in certain rare situations. I'd never use it for through hole solder removal, just flat lands or perhaps a wholesale clean up along DIP lands after crusty solder was removed. Always have a tub of flux too- it really helps if you are a solder-wick-meister.

The temperature controlled desoldering station gets used for leaded and lead free (higher temp), double sided/multilayer or just if I'm feeling a bit lazy.

There's four manual solder suckers on my bench ranging from a precision Japanese one that is incredible in tight spots, to a big bastard solderpult (actually a Japanese Goot) and a few others in between, including my old favorite, a Scope made in the 1970s.

suckers.jpeg

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow - I wonder if my vintage 45 year old SOLDAPULLT has appreciated in value?
It has lots of patina...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I only use wick in certain rare situations. I'd never use it for through hole solder removal, just flat lands or perhaps a wholesale clean up along DIP lands after crusty solder was removed. Always have a tub of flux too- it really helps if you are a solder-wick-meister.

The temperature controlled desoldering station gets used for leaded and lead free (higher temp), double sided/multilayer or just if I'm feeling a bit lazy.

There's four manual solder suckers on my bench ranging from a precision Japanese one that is incredible in tight spots, to a big bastard solderpult (actually a Japanese Goot) and a few others in between, including my old favorite, a Scope made in the 1970s.

View attachment 69126
That's a nice selection of solder suckers there @restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The issues with the Soldapullt are of course two-handed operation to "cock it" or pushing it on the bench which is risky as they can shoot sideways, and recoil, knock screws on the floor or your cup of coffee... The recoil, coupled with the hard teflon tip make for not super clean solder extraction. Also, clearance- they are 330mm (over a foot) long.

The little silver Japanese one is made by Engineer Brand. The tips are soft, silicone tube and you just cut what you need when they wear out. To give you an idea, I still haven't changed the tip in about 5 years. For getting into tight spaces or super precision work, it's fabulous.

https://www.engineer.jp/en/products/ss02e.html (scroll down to the SS-02)

I suggest getting one as well. You'll thank me.

If you go down the de-soldering station path later, get one with a easy to clean glass collection tube, inexpensive filters and make sure to put some stainless steel wool in the tube between the intake and the filters. It will save you tons of time cleaning and lots of money in filters. The suction is not impeded, but the molten solder hits and sticks to the steel wool and your filters stay clean for a lot longer.

Notice how the solder is all on the stainless steel wool side and the filter and glass are clean?

1592273852802.jpeg

I got that tip from a crusty old tech years ago when I had my Hakko de-soldering unit. It used to cost a fortune in filters. Just one stainless steel wool pad will last you years as you just cut off a tiny ball to put in the tube each time you clean it out.

For lead free multi-layer/plated vias, a temp controlled desoldering station is necessary

1592273930705.jpeg

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The tips are soft, silicone tube
That's a excellent idea having the soft silicon tip and a gentler recoil for sensitive work.

put some stainless steel wool in the tube between the intake and the filters.
another excellent idea.

I ran Denon desoldering tools at all the work benches for some years and the tips kept clogging and because they are temp calibrated they cost a arm and a leg. I ended up drill out the tips a little larger to stop the clogs.

http://www.denondic.co.jp/en/doc_sc7000z.php

Top Bottom