• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

N5005 Sounds so plastic

Howaboutthat

... Everything is fine except no matter which filter I use, the texture of its sound is so plastic and when you hear the detail of music, my ears also suffer from some filling like coarse texture. I saw the Crincal's review and he also mentioned the plastic tremble though I am not sure if that's the same thing I mentioned. Anyone has same feeling?
no, not in the least

Phoney

That's likely due to the peak around 5 kHz. Try this EQ:

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but.. Once you start using EQ you realise that these "plastics and metallics" and "timbre" discussions really are just about frequency response errors. Who knew that treble peaks could sound "metallic"... Or that dips/peaks in the mids can make the headphone sound less natural..

markanini

Major Contributor
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but.. Once you start using EQ you realise that these "plastics and metallics" and "timbre" discussions really are just about frequency response errors. Who knew that treble peaks could sound "metallic"... Or that dips/peaks in the mids can make the headphone sound less natural..
It's true. With time I also notice EQ isn't always convenient, pay more attention to the range between 1-5kHz in measurement graphs, and before opening my wallet.

Phoney

It actually helps! I tested it with no EQ and I think the strange sound is located around the 5khz, though EQ cannot completely fix the problem but it makes the sound at that point not sticking that out. Great thanks~

If it still sounds unnatural (and it's not just imagination), then it could be that the peak is not properly fixed still, or maybe the rest of the problem is somewhere else in the response, and can also be fixed with eq. I don't think it's anything else than a tonal balance issue.

Top Bottom