• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mytek AMP+ Review (Stereo Amplifier)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My memory of these tests has a half-life of a couple days. :)
If 'memory is the 2nd thing to go'; then, you will not have to ask what the 1st thing to go is...;)

ampplus

Hi Amir,
Just spotted one potential inconsistency after reading again the amp+ review : this one has switching frequency of 650khz due to new MOSFETs. (Currently showing hypex 500khz one instead if I'm reading correctly)

Hope this brand survive and continue to propose their designs, because there products are well thought overall, and most importantly sound great.

On a client side, transparency of the founder is a plus, even if I understand this have not been a match between you two ;). You're both highly skilled.

I had a Brooklyn DAC+ in the past, and despite some QC issue needing RMA, I had just never been disappointed in the sound quality of Mytek's products. (Far better than TEAC BB UD501 or even maybe the AK4490 UD503, to my taste).

Regarding these AMPs+, here are my observations/wishes for the next iteration, if any :
- jumpers are really scary / too tiny for neophytes, and personally, I always triple check that thing, which hampers a bit the unboxing experience.
- the software to control it from usb does not scale on 4k monitors under win10 (again you need glasses when looking at the setting window)
- wish a bit higher snr at low power to improve the consistency of the experience, which is quite enjoying and dynamic, and precise at medium power levels.
- possibility of setting the color of the M logo is SO nice, keep it please!
- improve the quality of the asymmetric input (you spotted high freq) , as many nice streamers have no xlr pre out (evo150 tdai 1120), and the Mytek Bridge 2 is delayed anyway.
- Stereophile pointed higher 3rd harmonix on one channel, please add this criteria in QC, if significant enough.
- as I already pointed in my previous messages, a bit less heat in a closed rack would be reassuring
- and if possible, lessen the plop sound when going out of standby, on mines, which I use in bridge mode, the level of the 'plop' increase slightly when cycling standby on/off more than 2 times in 5 minutes, depsite not harmful. Solution would be adding relay, but this could worsen transparency, as Mytek support tends to point ; maybe are there other proper ways !

Cheers,

kingbarbuda

I bought a pair of AMP+ amps during Mytek’s Holiday sale. I am putting them through their paces now. I don’t think the jumpers are a big deal. Just use a plastic pen cap to flip them and pay attention to detail like a good audiophile normally does and you’ll be fine. I did notice the “plop” from powering up. Probably avoidable electronically. But not a big deal if you have your preamp turned down like you should before listening. SQ is good. Soundstage is good. So is imaging. I am still evaluating all this. But love how they weigh next to nothing. Also have plenty of power. So far I am pleased with them. I returned the Starke AD4.320 that I also bought back to Starke with their prepaid USPS label.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope it was a good sale because otherwise you can do a LOT better for the money with, for example, a Purifi-based amp. Or heck, a Benchmark AHB2.

elderblaze

The typical ASR progression:

1. Denial - The ASR novice sees his hifi heroes slain on ASR, and copes by assuming that Amir doesn't know what he's talking about.

2. Anger - The audiophile lashes out at anyone who dares to question the superiority of Wilson speakers, Abyss 'phones, Schiit headphone amps, or any other product that the audiophile owns or lusts after.

3. Depression - The angry audiophile turns inward and asks for his account to be deleted.

4. Acceptance - The formerly angry and depressed audiophile creates a new account.

5. SINAD obsession - The recovering audiophile becomes obsessed with SINAD numbers and buys more and more Topping products to impress other SINAD-fixated audiophiles.

6. Indifference - The recovering audiophile realizes that even SINAD numbers above, say, 80 or so just don't matter that much except with phones or perhaps in front-end equipment.

7. Freedom - The former audiophile quits the audio hobby and gets on with life.

lol man, also, accept that measurements and sinad are not everything. Like a sculpture some audio engineers mold and shape distortion to their own desire. I am of the opinion that "voicing an amp" is a real thing and that gear can sound different and measure poorly and still be enjoyable or even desired. I also like the way tubes sound, but know and fully accept that im hearing distortion. Im ok with that.. an amp can be voiced to sound warmer.. built in eq of sorts. If we get an amp with some top end roll off, and a little bass boost with a sinad of 90, it may be vastly prefered over a perfectly flat amp with a sinad of 110. EQ and frequency response is subjective. Most humans don't prefer flat, especially the uninitiated. There are also many other intangibles and matters of practicality. I'd take the 90 SINAD all day long if it came in a better chasis with more features and greater usability. My personal gear is an RME-ADI-2 Dac FS, i've been happier with less, but it's a pretty seller piece of gear. Did not buy it for it's incredible measured spec's, that's a nice bonus. I wanted the PEQ and other featureset.

This post was a bit off topic, fortunately this thread saved me from buying X-PRO pascal modules, I was considering them but no more.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Im pretty sure it's a fact. Ever heard of the harman curve?
Yea, but not for all, preference is preference.
Ever hear those guys driving down the street in their 120spl distortion machines. LOL

Cuniberti

Forum Donor
In the 1970s' Rupert Neve built hundreds of recording consoles for the most prominent recording studios in the world. No test equipment was available to analyze his designs as we have today. Instead, Rubert used his ears, knowledge, and experience to build arguably one of the best-sounding recording consoles in history. Many people have analyzed these consoles with modern test equipment in the last decade and discovered relatively high levels of distortion, phase issues with the EQs, and noise. Yet, dozens of clones are being built today, and the original consoles and their channel strips sell for insane prices. Why? Because measurements don't matter when making art. That said, playback systems free from distortion and noise allow the listener to enjoy Rupert's consoles and the thousands of records made on them. My point is it's a matter of application.

Attachments

• Neve.jpg
    Neve.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 35

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In the 1970s' Rupert Neve built hundreds of recording consoles for the most prominent recording studios in the world.

Yet, dozens of clones are being built today, and the original consoles and their channel strips sell for insane prices. Why? Because measurements don't matter when making art.
Oh the times they are a-changin.
This was Mix’s 11th most-read article of 2022!
2022-01-21-wilson-part-2-SW_Studio-726x494.jpeg

Cuniberti

Forum Donor
Oh the times they are a-changin.
This was Mix’s 11th most-read article of 2022!
2022-01-21-wilson-part-2-SW_Studio-726x494.jpeg
If the implication is you can't mix in ATMOS on a Neve, you are correct. However, a significant number of Wilson's catalog mixing was recorded on Neve consoles.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If the implication is you can't mix in ATMOS on a Neve, you are correct.
I thought the implication was simple,
The times they are a-changin.

Top Bottom