• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mytek AMP+ Review (Stereo Amplifier)

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The top at least was at room temperature during my testing. Heat may be dissipated on the bottom. I forgot to check that.

But yes, if you don't need an amp to be small, there is no reason to get one with everything stuffed in a little box.

Thinking about this - heat developement is a pretty interesting thing to know about gadgets. Specially for lifetime expectation or if it's possible to place them inside a narrow space or next to sensitive stuff. Maybe it would be possible to establish a short test for this? For example 1 hour running idle after testing and then measuring the case temperature?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Well, for more than 25 times the price, it better be! :cool:

That said, you're absolutely correct -- and I think that reflects Pascal's orientation toward pro audio rather than the sort of home stereo applications where low distortion and noise floor tend to be more heavily prioritized.
I think power should be prioritize in home audio too, but the good thing is, we can have both for cheaper than this.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

PeteL

Major Contributor
Stereophile unit actually measured a little better at 0.005% THD+N 5W in 4 ohms resulting in SINAD 86.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-hifi-brooklyn-amp-power-amplifier-measurements

Still expensive for what it is.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZlTOYxmPs938gqHjtDABkWS-MApu7uJjzIGnJ2Elm6Y/edit?usp=sharing
This is interesting this chart, did you put it together? I have to say I was surprised to see a McIntosh amp getting the second place in SINAD. right after the Benchmark AHB2 and ahead of all Purifi and Ncore designs. and huge amount of power. Maybe there is still room for more classic amp design after all. For some reason I tought of McIntosh as a luxury/statement proposal but wow these values really show some elite engineering prowess. At a certain price yes, but even that was not as high as I would have guess for such a no compromise all bragging right amp.

Labjr

Major Contributor
WOW, they didn't pay their bill? without willing to judge on certain part of the world practices, and spread clichés, it does not sound like something that you'd expect to happen in Brooklyn NY manufacturing facilities, does it? Were they still manufacturing in the US?
Edit: I see made in E.U. so I guess they moved production, it wasn't the case a few year back.

From what I remember, their products were manufactured in Poland. The home country of the owner.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is interesting this chart, did you put it together? I have to say I was surprised to see a McIntosh amp getting the second place in SINAD. right after the Benchmark AHB2 and ahead of all Purifi and Ncore designs. and huge amount of power. Maybe there is still room for more classic amp design after all. For some reason I tought of McIntosh as a luxury/statement proposal but wow these values really show some elite engineering prowess. At a certain price yes, but even that was not as high as I would have guess for such a no compromise all bragging right amp.
Yes, more info here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/amplifier-sinad-list-asr-3rd-parties.16060/

PeteL

Major Contributor
From what I remember, their products were manufactured in Poland. The home country of the owner.
I may be wrong then, I was talking to them at a trade show a few years back and I was pretty sure they told me they were manufacturing in the US, but maybe my memory is blurry.

firedog

WOW, they didn't pay their bill? without willing to judge on certain part of the world practices, and spread clichés, it does not sound like something that you'd expect to happen in Brooklyn NY manufacturing facilities, does it? Were they still manufacturing in the US?
Edit: I see made in E.U. so I guess they moved production, it wasn't the case a few year back.
Not sure how you got there. They had a fabricator in Europe that they weren't happy with and stopped working with them. The fabricator is still making the "old" designs, so anyone who orders Mytek should check carefully what they are buying.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Not sure how you got there. They had a fabricator in Europe that they weren't happy with and stopped working with them. The fabricator is still making the "old" designs, so anyone who orders Mytek should check carefully what they are buying.
I am trying to understand what you mean, typically, if you stop your business relation with a manufacturing facility, you don't let them keeping making your products.. Are those "old designs" still sold by Mytek? if so they didn't "stop working with them". Or did the manufacturing house just chose to keep doing these products even tough the contract with mytek is over and sell them as Mytek products for their benefit. Are we talking discontinued design? Grey market? Sorry your statement is not clear.

Labjr

Major Contributor

That's a strange situation. Definitely not good for business. Mytek was pretty popular 10 years ago. I think there are better products for less money now.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't say any of this surprises me after my miserable experience with their dac. Second worse experience with a company ever.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

PeteL

Major Contributor
Actually the VTV equivalent I think is the U-PRO2S for 489 usd.
https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-pascal-u-pro2s-stereo-amplifier-2x280w/

No way the AMP+ is worth 2,500 usd!
I agree about the price, but I do see 2 mono modules on the pictures, not a stereo module, I think Amir is right.
edit: I believe on reliability and performance alone this amp is certainly over priced, but to Mytek defense, this big capacitor bank, and firmware update option don't seem to be part of the reference design, and the CE marking implies cost in certifications. They seem to actually have done stuff, not straight up put modules in a box. Don't mean it was worth it but It's not the same as a builder amp like VTV, It should be priced more, how much more is difficult to quantify, probably not 3 times but in all cases it don't look like a sound purchase choice.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have always had a soft spot for Mytek industrial design but never bought any of their products as they often seem to be style over substance and too expensive for what they are.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I have always had a soft spot for Mytek industrial design but never bought any of their products as they often seem to be style over substance and too expensive for what they are.

Mytek was popular years ago, when it was first reviewed, because they were competing with outrageously priced audiophile gear. That's all changed now thanks to brands like Topping and Schiit.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A big part of the price is to pay their product designers :)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would think that a “Brooklyn” amp would be manufactured in the U.S. rather than Poland. The labor cost can’t be that different. The supply chain wouldn’t be any more expensive or complicated considering the amp boards are drop-ins and the case is probably manufactured in China. If Mytec is booting/has booted HEM as a contract manufacturer, why not move manufacturing to, say, Brooklyn? ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom